TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Dance around the net for a wrap around? Dion was all over Hanzal. Hanzal is huge. He kept him to the outside, Reimer let a terrible goal in and let's not get started on Gunnarsson's play before Hanzal got the puck.

Dion just had to stay pat and guard the crease and not try his pee wee level defense of chasing the forward around the net.

Mar 26, 2010
Dance around the net for a wrap around? Dion was all over Hanzal. Hanzal is huge. He kept him to the outside, Reimer let a terrible goal in and let's not get started on Gunnarsson's play before Hanzal got the puck.

So your putting the blame on Reimer? :laugh: It was the Captain's failed assignment that resulted in the goal.

I will be very happy if Nonis is smart enough to get rid of Phaneuf. Terrible Captain.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
So your putting the blame on Reimer? :laugh: It was the Captain's failed assignment that resulted in the goal.

I will be very happy if Nonis is smart enough to get rid of Phaneuf. Terrible Captain.

His failed assignment? You people need to go back to the goal. Seriously :laugh:

Hanzal is 6'6, it was hardly a scoring chance, but Reimer is hugging the post and looking tiny. That's why it slides all the way to the other post on Reimer..

And yet everyone ignores Gunnarsson's brutal turnover to begin with. :laugh:

mikebel111*

Dion just had to stay pat and guard the crease and not try his pee wee level defense of chasing the forward around the net.

you calling his D that pretty much explains what you know.

As a defender, u are told to stay with the forward. You don't let him do wraparounds without doing anything about it. dion tried and you can't blame him on that play.

mikebel111*

I will be very happy if Nonis is smart enough to get rid of Phaneuf. Terrible Captain.[/QUOTE]

ok please tell us more:laugh:, not his fault at all. he stayed with forward but bad goal though.

can't wait till he signs. hurry up nonis:)

and bolded, that has nothing to do with it.

Mar 26, 2010
His failed assignment? You people need to go back to the goal. Seriously :laugh:

Hanzal is 6'6, it was hardly a scoring chance, but Reimer is hugging the post and looking tiny. That's why it slides all the way to the other post on Reimer..

And yet everyone ignores Gunnarsson's brutal turnover to begin with. :laugh:

The fact that Hanzal is 6'6" is irrelevant. This is the NHL and the players are big. If Dion is this world class #1 D you say he is he would have never allowed him to opportunity to have the chance.

Reimer played well all game, too bad Phaneuf hung him out to dry.The same way Dion put the puck in the net last game on Bernier.

mikebel111*

The fact that Hanzal is 6'6" is irrelevant. This is the NHL and the players are big. If Dion is this world class #1 D you say he is he would have never allowed him to opportunity to have the chance.

Reimer played well all game, too bad Phaneuf hung him out to dry.

yeah because dion told gunner to give puck away.

dion not to blame here, too bad u don't understand ths

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Would like it if he just kept his current salary if they resigned him but most likely it will be 7 mill or more.

I'd keep Phaneuf because he has been our best defensemen. He does have some off nights but that's ok.

Mar 26, 2010

Blame Gunner, Blame Reimer :laugh:

Could never be Dion's fault right. too much...

It was his man that he failed to control that scored. Like it or not.

Now hurry up and give him his $7M/season so we have Clarkson #2.

mikebel111*

It was his man that he failed to control that scored. Like it or not.

Now hurry up and give him his $7M/season so we have Clarkson #2.[/QUOTE]

yup u don't know what u are talking about:laugh:

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009

Blame O'Byrne, Blame Reimer....

Blame Reimer, Blame Bozak...

Now show me even one instance of Suter, Chara, Keith, Weber, etc. committing at least one, similarly catastrophically bad play, let alone more, in similar circumstances to Phaneuf and I'll give you a list of excuses as to why it is not their fault.

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
can some of you Leaf fans answer the question to what in the hell happened to Phaneuf's offensive game? i didn't want to start a new topic since this thread was here so i figured i'd ask it here. seemed appropriate.

Phaneuf was always good for 40-50 points every year and now it looks like he'll strugge to reach 30.

GP G A P
Oct 14 2 5 7
Nov 13 0 3 3
Dec 7 0 2 2

no goals and 5 assists in his last 20 games. and in a contract year where he should be trying to get as many points as possible. wtf happened to the guy?

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
can some of you Leaf fans answer the question to what in the hell happened to Phaneuf's offensive game? i didn't want to start a new topic since this thread was here so i figured i'd ask it here. seemed appropriate.

Phaneuf was always good for 40-50 points every year and now it looks like he'll strugge to reach 30.

GP G A P
Oct 14 2 5 7
Nov 13 0 3 3
Dec 7 0 2 2

no goals and 5 assists in his last 20 games. and in a contract year where he should be trying to get as many points as possible. wtf happened to the guy?

IMO he has not been taking as many chances to join the rush. The PP is typically where he's racked up his points and he's been abysmal at getting his shot through so defers more to Phil or Franson.

The homers are just going to tell you that it's because he's been focusing on his defence this year as if that somehow explains his inability to put a puck on net.

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City

GP G A P
Oct 14 2 5 7
Nov 13 0 3 3
Dec 7 0 2 2

Prepare yourself for the "HE PLAYS AGAINST THE HARDEST COMPETITION IN THE LEAGUE ETC"

I personally don't think he's that good.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
This is the Brian McCabe situation all over again, but worse in terms of contract length. Please Nonis. Don't do it. Please.

Mar 26, 2010
This is the Brian McCabe situation all over again, but worse in terms of contract length. Please Nonis. Don't do it. Please.

Agreed! Please don't do it Nonis. You will regret it big time!

Just think Clarkson, just think Clarkson... Nonis.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
IMO he has not been taking as many chances to join the rush. The PP is typically where he's racked up his points and he's been abysmal at getting his shot through so defers more to Phil or Franson.

The homers are just going to tell you that it's because he's been focusing on his defence this year as if that somehow explains his inability to put a puck on net.

Prepare yourself for the "HE PLAYS AGAINST THE HARDEST COMPETITION IN THE LEAGUE ETC"

Franson seems to be the go-to Leaf defender for offense now. Dion's still getting the most icetime though, he just can't seem to generate any offense anymore. it's strange. i'm actually surprised the media isn't making more of it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Would like it if he just kept his current salary if they resigned him but most likely it will be 7 mill or more.

I'd keep Phaneuf because he has been our best defensemen. He does have some off years but that's ok.

Fixed. I like his game a lot this year but he really is up an down player and a long term $7 million+ commitment to the player he was last season would be a real setback. It is hard to be positive if they sign him to huge money and term because his lack of consistency is recent enough that we can't say that he has turned a corner. However the cap is going way up and it isn't like there are a bunch of other top pairing D to choose from. His agent will be swinging for the fences. I just hope they don't get scalped too badly.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Sign Dion 7/7, then find someone to take Clarkson off our hands. Dion's contract doesn't seem horrible when Clarkson's dead cap is out of the way

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

GP G A P
Oct 14 2 5 7
Nov 13 0 3 3
Dec 7 0 2 2

Phaneuf has always got a lot of his points via the PP.

This year, Franson and Kessel are the designated shooters. Kessel QBs and takes shots where he can. Otherwise, he tries to get it cross ice to Franson, who goes in deep or else makes point shots for JVR to tip. Phaneuf isn't featured on the PP - he feeds to Kessel if possible, or otherwise to Franson. The PP is also not built around Phaneuf shooting. Net effect is less points for Phaneuf, but we have one of the best PPs in the league so who's complaining?

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Dion is worth 6M but he is a competent player and he leads our team. I dont mind overpaying for him.

For 20/20 guys like clarkson though? Hell yea I hate overpaying.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Fixed. I like his game a lot this year but he really is up an down player and a long term $7 million+ commitment to the player he was last season would be a real setback. It is hard to be positive if they sign him to huge money and term because his lack of consistency is recent enough that we can't say that he has turned a corner. However the cap is going way up and it isn't like there are a bunch of other top pairing D to choose from. His agent will be swinging for the fences. I just hope they don't get scalped too badly.

There's always some risk but he seems to have matured a lot in his time here, and plays hard every shift. His play this year sure makes it look like he spent a lot of hard nights thinking about "the pinch" this summer.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

It's a chain reaction. Gunnar made a bad play, then Dion messed up the assignment then Reimer had poor positioning. Every goal scored in the NHL has someone doing something wrong. It's inevitable in the sport that errors are made. To sit around and argue who's fault it is is irrelevant the all messed up. The thing that matters is how often a player makes mistakes, how they react to them afterwards.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

I'm confused. Are you saying he doesn't play against the hardest competition, or that doing so with very good results isn't a valid way to judge a defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad