GDT: DIG IN! RIGHT NOW! Mantra of the 24-25 Season starts today! Oilers v Jets, 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylagierda

Oct 8, 2024
Yeah. That period was just like preseason. Team still not defending, team still not scoring, and Drai line getting nothing. Team looks old and slow.
Game one so won't say much, but it was a real concern among the circles of Oilers writers that being the oldest team in the league coupled with a litany of new, slow signed players would make us a way less dynamic team. Nobody is scared to get burned by us anywhere on the ice unless McDavid has the puck now. Fact of the matter is with the oldest club in the league you have to win with a cerebral game.

How cerebral is our bottom six? Skinner and Arvidsson now? Arvidsson has had a bunch of surgeries since he was a force in the league and we gave him more than Holloway who from what I've seen is blowing the doors off in St. Louis playing 1st line wing / 2nd line centre throughout the games.

Podkolzin was a good attempt but what does it say that he's in the lineup in Holloway's spot? Maybe he breaks out, maybe he doesn't. We need him and a few others to.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Once the league starts to realize Edmonton is big market team they'll send some calls our way. Maybe we need to build more Highways and couple more high risers.

dylagierda

Oct 8, 2024
Hope it's just nerves, but Emberson looks worse at handling the puck than Ceci ever did :laugh: Nurse still in high risk/low reward mode though, he just makes everything into a fire drill with his decision making

Awful first goal by Skinner, and Nuge was dragging his line down.
He makes way quicker decisions with the puck. Made a new nice clean quick outs off a defensive puck possession. I think we will see him be a difference maker back there. He has very smooth, fast skating and quick passing -- I'm okay with him fumbling the puck a bit. All the tools are there. I was willing to give Broberg that time as well and we saw how well he played in the playoffs when he needed to step up.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Kinda get that feeling too. Team is good but isn't looking like a first place club. Its early but at no point yet this year has the team looked engaged and effective.
I think it was expected they would look worse than in the playoffs. They lost Ceci (top 4 d-man), Kane (top 6 forward), Foegele (a 40 point contributor), and a bunch of bottom half guys (Holloway, McLeod, Desharnais and Broberg to boot). That's more than last year when they lost Kostin and Bjugstad. Some new guys have pedigree, but may need time to gel with the team. We'll see.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
This team can't make it easy on themselves whether it's starting a season or a seven game final. They have to shit the bed before they get any effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad