Did Sam Gagner become smarter this time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Perfect Human*

Leads the team in TOI amongst forwards and it has its highest finish in 4 years. He must be doing something right.

surshot*

i'll use my milk money if ya want to back up your claim

If you had bet him last season you would of lost your milk money. Sam ended up with more points and more TOI. Despite what some think, his stats suggest an elite #2 center is not out of the question.

surshot*

Leads the team in TOI amongst forwards and it has its highest finish in 4 years. He must be doing something right.

Would of never thought that with how he gets treated here.:sarcasm: Good thing i rely on myself for player evaluations and research before I post nonsense. I suggest others do the same for some quality hockey discussion. Thank god there are places for that. :nod: just not here obviously.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Since this is already at the top of the page - is it just me or does this just have the worst thread title? "Did he become smarter this time"? What?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Since this is already at the top of the page - is it just me or does this just have the worst thread title? "Did he become smarter this time"? What?

It is up there, but the thread exists solely to crush Gagner because of "something something something", so quality grammar in the title wasn't really the goal.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
My thoughts exactly. What kind of title is that? Does anyone think Gagner is not smart enough to be an NHL player?

After his rookieseason many posters had him at 70 p his 2th season:shakehead
And ironically most of the posters predicting those kind of point totals are now the very loudest singers in the anti-Gagner chorus. Not saying you here because I don't remember you being around this board for Gagner's rookie season. But those same guys were predicting players like Pitlick and MPS to be mainstays on the second line by now. You learn to take their "evaluation" of talent with some caution.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Do you not think Sam Gagner is not dedicated to the game of hockey?

His dedication doesnt help him to overcome his flaws, basically hes to small,weak and slow for a 2 c in the Nhl, not his fault. But hes a ecellent pp player!

Unproven? How is a guy who just turned 24 with over 400 career games unproven? And you're complaining about his salary? New Jersey just gave 4 on a long term deal to a guy only half a year younger than him, with nearly 300 less games played, and less than half as many points last year. Gagner at 4.8 isn't bad at all

You can bring up points all day if you want! Never hit 50 p in his 6 years career, streaky and a consistent - player with defensive issues.
Thats not a proven 2C in the Nhl.

Other players with similar money brings other things to the table then only 40-45 points a year.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You can bring up points all day if you want! Never hit 50 p in his 6 years career, streaky and a consistent - player with defensive issues.
Thats not a proven 2C in the Nhl.

Other players with similar money brings other things to the table then only 40-45 points a year.

I noticed you left out that he kills penalties and stands up for teammates. I'm assuming that's because it kind of hurts your bringing nothing else to the table argument eh?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I noticed you left out that he kills penalties and stands up for teammates. I'm assuming that's because it kind of hurts your bringing nothing else to the table argument eh?

Do you seriously mean that you feel comfortable to have Gagner out there killing penaltys?

That was a one time/half season experiment, that will not happpen again with a healthy roster this season.

I dont question his dedication,but he wasnt born with the right tools to make success out of it.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Do you seriously mean that you feel comfortable to have Gagner out there killing penaltys?

That was a one time/half season experiment, that will not happpen again with a healthy roster this season.

I dont question his dedication,but he wasnt born with the right tools to make success out of it.

Ah so he should just give up.

Gotcha.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Absolutely I do. He's one of our hardest workers, and the only guy besides Ladi that I'd be willing to wager would block a puck face first if that's what it took to win

bigguy13

Nov 16, 2010
Edmonton
So, I was listening to Spector today and it got me thinking. Do you think Sam Gagner coming into this year has something to prove as a number 1 center or 1 A? I mean, how long has he played center with the Oil? 4yrs? One would think, Sam would of worked extra over the summer to hone in on his faceoff draws with his big ass fat raise wouldnt he? What was Gagner's FO% last year??? I might be wrong but at least 35% winning. Countless times i have watched him over the last few years lose important draws and then his man. Not only did it cost us goals but puck possession. Gagner must have some smart hockey sense to work extra hard at winning draws? Dont you think???:help:

this again

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
why is gagner out for the last minute on a draw, why is he still here on this team??????

Do you remember the hoopla when he got drafted #7 overall the year after the Ryan Smyth fiasco?

Kevin Lowe has never made a mistake - ever.:rant:

bigguy13

Nov 16, 2010
Edmonton
So, I was listening to Spector today and it got me thinking. Do you think Sam Gagner coming into this year has something to prove as a number 1 center or 1 A? I mean, how long has he played center with the Oil? 4yrs? One would think, Sam would of worked extra over the summer to hone in on his faceoff draws with his big ass fat raise wouldnt he? What was Gagner's FO% last year??? I might be wrong but at least 35% winning. Countless times i have watched him over the last few years lose important draws and then his man. Not only did it cost us goals but puck possession. Gagner must have some smart hockey sense to work extra hard at winning draws? Dont you think???:help:

Do you remember the hoopla when he got drafted #7 overall the year after the Ryan Smyth fiasco?

Kevin Lowe has never made a mistake - ever.:rant:

I know it is ridiculous he is shetty always in no mans land

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gagner's season thus far (1 point in 6 games, with a whooping -9 rating) is a good indication why he should have been traded in the off-season while his perceived value was higher due to the inflated stats in the shortened season.

Well, I guess that 5M albatross contract will expire by 2016/2017 season. Great job macT.:laugh:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I don't know why we're paying him almost $5M to have no idea what to do defensively and not amazingly offensive to begin with. He can't face tough competition, and is good for maybe 40-60 points. Do we really need those points or should have a better defensive center there maybe?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gags couldn't check a suitcase at an airport we couldn't trade him if we wanted to.

if he continues to play like he has, you gotta think he will be a strong candidate for a compliance buy-out in the summer. Then he will sign with a good team for under 2m and will have a successful career as a 3rd line RW on a stacked team like Penguins or Chicago.

Jul 19, 2012
Gagner's season thus far (1 point in 6 games, with a whooping -9 rating) is a good indication why he should have been traded in the off-season while his perceived value was higher due to the inflated stats in the shortened season.

Well, I guess that 5M albatross contract will expire by 2016/2017 season. Great job macT.:laugh:

Brutal signing. Absolutely brutal. Marcobello should be playing in the 2C slot over Gagner. If Yakupov is getting the bench why in Gods name isn't Gagner. Eakins is full of **** with his accountability crap. :shakehead

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
What is up with this coach's love affair with Gagner? I don't care if he's over his injury or not, he clearly can't get anything going offensively and is a complete liability defensively. He is, in effect, useless. And yet he's out there taking the draw at the end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad