Did Sam Gagner become smarter this time?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Don't be unreasonably hyperbolic to prove a point. It was exactly 55% that lead to goals against.

No it was 55% that he directly fired into his own net off the faceoff. I'm not sure about the 95% number but I do know this one and I'm pretty sure I heard that global warming one before to. :laugh:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Gagner learns all the time. Hew will never be top face off man in Nhl but he will enter to 48-52% in his peak years (25-32 years old)

He will be consistent point producer 50-65pts a year and you will see him to be prennial plus player too.

He is a keeper IMO. I hope we can afford him the next contract which can be more than 6M depending on cap development

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He had a much larger role last season and was counted on in more situations. Horcoff wasn't taking all the toughest draws and prime minutes anymore. People need to realize that he is still a young player regardless of how many seasons he has played. There were hiccups along the way, but he is most certainly a better player now than he was at 18. And there is still room for growth. Last season he was 23. I don't think he's shown us his best yet.

Actually, that's not true. Gagner had the same role that he has always had, getting secondary matchups. The only difference is that instead of Horcoff's line taking on the tough matchups, Nuge's line did.
I'm sure that he will improve in the coming years but it's disheartening that he regressed with faceoffs and pretty much stagnated defensively. I like the strides that he made offensively, played with more confidence last season but until he improves the other facets of his game, the Oilers will never be a viable playoff contender.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He's been working hard at improving every year so far and had a very good season last year. I am not sure where this questioning of his desire is coming from?

As for the number of times he lost a draw and it ended up in our net, I have no idea. But since he led all Oiler forwards in ice time last year, I'd say more than any other C. But he was also our top scoring C.

of all the players on this team, I think Gagner would be the best person to have a poll in regards to how many points he'll score in this upcoming season.

I think it would be interesting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gagner spent last summer working on his balance with the same guy Crosby does. If you aren't a hatter you can see that it improved his skating and him falling drastically.

I have no doubt that if he spent the time on faceoffs he'd get better, whether or not that was his focus this summer is another story.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sam Gagner is a difficult player to truly rate.

I agree with a bit of what your saying. He does seem to be one of those players that loses the puck or his man and it ends up in the back of our net.

People forget tho that he is still very young. He has improved his overall game slightly almost ever single year in some capacity.

He obviously needs to get better on the defensive side of the puck and on face offs but that stuff does come with age.

With his offensive skills and huge firepower on the wings Gagner will rack up points I have no worries about that. For #2 Center his points are and should stay respectable.

It was a great move by the Oilers to give him a respectable contract and not just throw money and 8 years at him. Very impressive actually. Its like they learned from their mistakes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, I was listening to Spector today and it got me thinking. Do you think Sam Gagner coming into this year has something to prove as a number 1 center or 1 A? I mean, how long has he played center with the Oil? 4yrs? One would think, Sam would of worked extra over the summer to hone in on his faceoff draws with his big ass fat raise wouldnt he? What was Gagner's FO% last year??? I might be wrong but at least 35% winning. Countless times i have watched him over the last few years lose important draws and then his man. Not only did it cost us goals but puck possession. Gagner must have some smart hockey sense to work extra hard at winning draws? Dont you think???:help:

You forgot bigger. He needs to become bigger. Grow about 5 inches. Not to mention grow some testicles while he's at it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm definitely in the belief that Sam Gagner should not be our 2nd line center going forth, but are you seriously question his work ethic?:shakehead: If there's one good trait about Sam Gagner, it's his heart and effort. It wouldn't be a hyperbole to say that no player has worked harder over the past 5 years to improve his deficiencies (not including guys like Yak who haven't played much). This isn't Robert Nilsson or Ales Hemsky we're talking about here.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Another "troll Gagner thread" disguised as a question.

Go figure.

And I love some of the stats being pulled out of people's ass's.

Gagner sure seems to have to earn any credit given more than most players.

I really don't get the negativity at all.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Actually, that's not true. Gagner had the same role that he has always had, getting secondary matchups. The only difference is that instead of Horcoff's line taking on the tough matchups, Nuge's line did.
I'm sure that he will improve in the coming years but it's disheartening that he regressed with faceoffs and pretty much stagnated defensively. I like the strides that he made offensively, played with more confidence last season but until he improves the other facets of his game, the Oilers will never be a viable playoff contender.

Gagner had the most minutes played out of our forwards. Since one can assume the top players from other teams also got the prime minutes, that means Gagner was playing at least some of the time against the top guys on other teams. Remember, Ol Wreck it didn't believe in line matching.

As for the FO woes, puck possession changes how many times per shift? I think people are really overestimating the importance of FOs. Chicago was brutal on the draws as a team in the playoffs, and they won the cup. Against a team that was better on the draw.

As for our playoff chances with Gags + RNH down the middle. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

Go figure.

80% of all Gagner's stats come out of peoples ass's google it:sarcasm:

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

Go figure.

When Gagner burns down your house then you'll understand.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The faceoff %age does not bother me much. MacT at one point suggested that about 1 in 40 lost draws result in a goal against. I have no direct evidence to absck this up but if you look at the fact that there are about 50-60 faceoff per game it sounds reasonable. As such if he was to improve from 43% to 50% over the course of an 82 game season you might prevent 2 additional goals. H would be far better off working on his over all defensive game.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The faceoff %age does not bother me much. MacT at one point suggested that about 1 in 40 lost draws result in a goal against. I have no direct evidence to absck this up but if you look at the fact that there are about 50-60 faceoff per game it sounds reasonable. As such if he was to improve from 43% to 50% over the course of an 82 game season you might prevent 2 additional goals. H would be far better off working on his over all defensive game.

Ya, If Gagner can be average defensive C over the next three years and score 60 points/year, he will be well worth his contract. I think he will do that, not even concerned.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sam Gagner kicks puppies

But seriously, didnt Willis already do the math and show that if Gagner was a 50% FO man it would have prevent 1 less goal against

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad