• No but I am Canadian/ Avs fan

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • No but I promise I’m unbiased

Votes: 89 46.4%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hedman was the only Tampa player with a better +/- than Kuch. How can one of the worst defensive players in the league have the best +/- of any forward on his team?

I’m not saying he’s necessarily one of this worst, but his plus minus was better solely because of his offense. The only forwards on the team to give up more GA/60 at 5v5 or at ES were Point and Stamkos. Among forwards he was on the ice for the most 5v5 and the most ES goals against in the entire league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Russian bias was a small factor, but I think the bigger factor was the media's desire to give a trophy to Mack because "he was due". After years of talking him up as one of the best in the game despite him never him winning an individual trophy they had their chance to give him one, and being a good old Canadian boy certainly didn't hurt.

Had Mack won the year Hall won, I think this vote would have gone to Kuch because by every metric they've used for this award in the past Kuch was the logical choice.

I wouldn’t say that’s true. The Hart is often given to simply the best player, and there’s certainly an argument for MacKinnon there.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Maybe Kucherov should try being less Doucherov and he might get more votes next time, he’s an ass clown - very talented obviously but immature and disrespectful to his peers and the fans

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I'll never understand why some people get so flustered about situations like these. Kucherov and MacKinnon were neck and neck, it could have gone either way. This isn't a case of someone being robbed of a trophy or something, the differences were way too slim for that.

Did it help MacKinnon that he didn't have a Hart yet, while Kucherov already won one? Sure.
Might some voters be more inclined to favour someone from their area over someone who is not? Sure.
But that requires things to be close enough for that to matter. The amount of voters who will make a reach in their decision when there is a clear disparity between the candidates is not remotely large enough to tip the scales in such a vote. The only times when these issues matter enough, is when it's too close a call to make a definitive decision. And at that point, either choice is perfectly fine.

Seeing how lopsided the first place votes were in MacKinnons favour, one can hardly blame the outcome on any Canadian bias.

Reactions: missionAvs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think Kucherov should have won the hart in 2018 and also in 2024. I don't really mind MacK winning per se, he was a worthy winner too. Hall in 2018 is a different story.

One thing I like about Kucherov's season a lot (and actually, about his 2018 year as well) is that he led the scoring race for the majority of the year.

To me it's less about Kucherov simply beating MacKinnon to the Ross by 4 points - it's more about how he was in the lead most of the year too. If Kucherov had been #2 in scoring race all year, and then had a super strong last 2-3 games to take the lead, I think it would be slightly less impactful. But instead, all year long he was scoring more than anyone else to consistently and continuously help his team win games.

My hart ballot would have been:

1. Kucherov
2. MacKinnon
3. McDavid
4. Matthews
5. Hughes

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Hart measures value, which is a broader concept than a strict point contest. MacKinnon's role as a leader on and off the ice places him above someone like Kucherov.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Of course bias exists, but it's not based on nationality. Our sport is massively conservative. There's little tolerance for individuality or players who don't conform to the norm.
MacKinnon is a good ol' boy who conducts himself the "right" way. Kucherov not so much.
You're on Mars if you think this doesnt play a factor in voting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zine

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
NHL media is very anti-Russia/KHL. But the same can't be said about the media towards individual Russian players. So no, there is no pro-Canadian bias.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He clearly got outscored by Kucherov and Kucherov plays on the worse team, did pro Canadian bias win Mackinnon the award cause they felt bad for him?

Similar to how Joel Embiid won the award over Jokic, did voters just feel bad that Mackinnon ain’t Kucherov level?
Poll options show bias, so didn’t vote,

Why no yes, I’m Canadian / Avs fan, or yes but I promise I’m not biased.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I think it was more to do with mackinnon constantly getting nominated but never actually winning anything. If this was voted on as 2 anonymous players I don’t mackinnon would have won.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's certainly possible voters favored him because he hadn't won before and Kucherov has.

It may simply be that voters felt/decided that he was more valuable to his team than Kucherov. The Hart Trophy isn't a secondary Art Ross. It doesn't automatically go to the player who scored the most points if it goes to a forward.

A gap of three to five points isn't that significant. I was fine with the fact that Hall won it when MacKinnon outscored him by four points and I'm okay with the fact that MacKinnon won it after being outscored by Kucherov by four points. You can expect some discretion to be used by voters.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not exactly Pro-Canadian bias as much as Pro-MacKinnon bias. He hadn’t won it yet and his season was just as good as Kucherov’s so of course they would lean towards him.

Totally deserved either way

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Most valuable is so subjective, it usually goes to the best player.

The fact of the matter is, even if you think Kuch had the better offensive year, he really didn’t tilt the ice in his favor during the minutes he was playing at all, because he was giving up just as much, both from an actual goals and expected goals perspective. Not saying it’s a 100 percent accurate, as it’s probably impossible to get an actual net value on a player, but it’s definitely somewhat of an indicator. I’m just going to post a couple I was able to find from twitter and the athletic.

Even offensively Mackinnon just had a higher impact in general.

I certainly see the argument for kuch, but th narrative that Mack only won because he was ‘due’ is just stupid. Almost every metric says he had the best and well balanced year, especially with Mcdavid missing games.

E4F18299-C8AB-4788-9642-4B1B716D3222.jpeg

FFE5F297-4A69-4909-861F-7DC744FA09DD.png

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Not because of Canadian bias but because Kucherov's piss-ass attitude may have dissuaded voters if it was essentially a toss up for them. This is the real world and human bias exists.

Also, MacKinnon is superior. Stay mad.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Most valuable is so subjective, it usually goes to the best player.
Ya it is odd, maybe they need to redefine the wording, Instead of most valuable to his team.
Kuch had 54 more points than closest teammate, maybe close to highest ever.
Mack had 36 more points than closest teammate.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
No but he was due, if they had exactly reversed seasons(in terms of on ice-impact and stats) I am farily certain MacKinnon would have won all the same. Of course impossible to prove.

For what it's worth I would probably have voted for him and he deserved it but above still holds true in my mind.

Reactions: Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ya it is odd, maybe they need to redefine the wording, Instead of most valuable to his team.
Kuch had 54 more points than closest teammate, maybe close to highest ever.
Mack had 36 more points than closest teammate.

How much you outscore your nearest teammate isn’t a very thorough measure of more valuable though. Pasta and Panarin both outscored their closest teammates by 43 points this year. I wouldn’t say they were more valuable to their teams than MacKinnon

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
There are few reasons why Mackinnon should have won over Kucherov.

Kuch outscored Mak, had a much bigger gap to the 2nd team scorer, and most importantly had less help.

This year's Hart is exactly why I take trophies that get voted on with a grain of salt. More often than not, it is a popularity contest.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
How much you outscore your nearest teammate isn’t a very thorough measure of more valuable though. Pasta and Panarin both outscored their closest teammates by 43 points this year. I wouldn’t say they were more valuable to their teams than MacKinnon
Exactly. It's silly to keep throwing out a stat that litterally only compares two players out of 23+ on a team. As if the other 21+ players somehow don't matter and don't do any scoring at all :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think the obsession with that stat is largrly because it's incredibly simple... it involves kindergarten-level subtraction. Throw out something more complicated like WAR or expected goals and these people will look at you as if your talking about rocket science.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
There are most def people that have a Canada Bias.
There are also people who have a Anti Russian Bias
How many of them? Who knows. Enough to effect the outcome? We will never know.

There is also the factor of "He is due"

It could have gone to either player but I personally had a slight edge to Kuch.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I understand the arguments for Kuch, but Mack also winning the Lindsay justifies the Hart in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad