Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe an AI put together the lineup lol and the AI thinks that since Gauthier was a point per game player in the NHL last year (despite playing only 1 NHL game) that he belongs there.

"The Anaheim Ducks' optimal lineup may vary depending on individual player performances and team strategies. However, based on their current roster, here's a possible optimal lineup:

*Forward Lines:*

1. Trevor Zegras - Ryan Strome - Troy Terry
2. Adam Henrique - Mason McTavish - Max Comtois
3. Jakob Silfverberg - Isac Lundestrom - Frank Vatrano
4. Sam Steel - Derek Grant - Max Jones

*Defense Pairings:*

1. Cam Fowler - Jamie Drysdale
2. Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
3. Kevin Shattenkirk - Urho Vaakanainen

*Goalies:*

1. John Gibson
2. Anthony Stolarz

This lineup combines offensive skill, defensive prowess, and playoff experience. However, it's important to note that lineup decisions ultimately depend on the team's strategy and player performances, which can change throughout the season.

Let me know if you have any other questions!"

AI fail

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
Maybe an AI put together the lineup lol and the AI thinks that since Gauthier was a point per game player in the NHL last year (despite playing only 1 NHL game) that he belongs there.
Im not AI, i think...

I've been noticing this a lot.

Is there a reason we are gifting Gauthier the 1st line LW spot?
More about creating lines than him being the best LW. He's a top 6 forward, 1st or 2nd line.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Im not AI, i think...

images

• Haha
Reactions: Kalv and Vaakou

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Zegras, McTavish, Strome, and Vatrano are participating in a charity event on July 25.
View attachment 894129

GMPV trying to milk everything he can out of Zegras before the eventual trade to NY because he’s requested to be there (pretty sure he posted an IG photo in NY once and said “this city is cool”)and we get scraps like future considerations back. Damn, did I say NY, because I meant Montreal so he can play with his boy Caulfield. Maybe that was a Philly rumor because of Drysdale? I don’t know, I get so confused these days, guess that’s what old age does to you… MAYBE we can get Rempe from NY, he’s been training with Brashear on his fighting skills…better yet, let’s send Z to Brashear because he’s too skilled.

Ok, I’m done.

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
GMPV trying to milk everything he can out of Zegras before the eventual trade to NY because he’s requested to be there (pretty sure he posted an IG photo in NY once and said “this city is cool”)and we get scraps like future considerations back. Damn, did I say NY, because I meant Montreal so he can play with his boy Caulfield. Maybe that was a Philly rumor because of Drysdale? I don’t know, I get so confused these days, guess that’s what old age does to you… MAYBE we can get Rempe from NY, he’s been training with Brashear on his fighting skills…better yet, let’s send Z to Brashear because he’s too skilled.

Ok, I’m done.
Yes but also not only that. The entire time he’s there he is going to be BAD and a net negative for the team because he is both a powerplay and a trick shot merchant who only cares about social media. That is, unless Marty St. Louis can defy the odds and fix him

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

New info I didn't know about from the article:

Due to a curfew established in Orange County's General Aviation Noise Ordinance (GANO) in December 1971, flights cannot depart from John Wayne from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Monday through Saturday and cannot depart from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on Sundays. Arrivals are prohibited from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Monday through Saturday and from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. on Sundays.
Mar 30, 2024; Edmonton, Alberta, CAN; The Anaheim Ducks celebrate a goal scored by forward Alex Killorn (17) during the third period against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place. Mandatory Credit: Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports
Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports
This creates problems for the Ducks, mostly when it comes to returning from road trips. They can not fly home right after a road game has ended. Instead, they have to fly into Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and then bus back to Orange County. What could be a 1 a.m. arrival and then a short drive home now turns into almost two hours before getting home.

Getting out of LAX is much better than driving into LAX. Although, I dunno if sports teams have an alternative route to LAX away from the masses.

Reactions: SoCal Dreaming

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The more I think about it, the more I realize we're probably still a bottom 5 team. I just hope we're a much better one.

For context, last year 5th worst had 17 more points than we did (Habs). That's already a tall task. I just hope we show tons of promise as well

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016

Due to a curfew established in Orange County's General Aviation Noise Ordinance (GANO) in December 1971, flights cannot depart from John Wayne from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Monday through Saturday and cannot depart from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on Sundays. Arrivals are prohibited from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Monday through Saturday and from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. on Sundays.
Mar 30, 2024; Edmonton, Alberta, CAN; The Anaheim Ducks celebrate a goal scored by forward Alex Killorn (17) during the third period against the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place. Mandatory Credit: Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports
This creates problems for the Ducks, mostly when it comes to returning from road trips. They can not fly home right after a road game has ended. Instead, they have to fly into Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and then bus back to Orange County. What could be a 1 a.m. arrival and then a short drive home now turns into almost two hours before getting home.

Getting out of LAX is much better than driving into LAX. Although, I dunno if sports teams have an alternative route to LAX away from the masses.
Pretty sure the GANO is also why planes have to cut the engines for a few moments when flying out of John Wayne.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

They should be able to fly in or out of Ontario. That's an easier drive than LAX any time.

Noise restrictions​

Ontario has few noise restrictions/abatement rules, unlike other Southern California airports, such as John Wayne Airport, Hollywood Burbank Airport (Bob Hope), Long Beach Airport, and San Diego International Airport, which all have very strict policies.[35] The airport is allowed to operate 24/7, but during the hours of 10 pm to 7 am, all aircraft must arrive from the east on runway 26L or 26R and take off to the east on runway 8R or 8L, depending on ATC instruction. This procedure is known as "Contra-Flow" operations and applies to turbojet or turbofan aircraft. This procedure is similar to the one employed by LAX, where all landings are conducted from the east and all takeoffs are to the west (known as "over-ocean" operations) between midnight and 6:30 am. Both of these procedures are employed as long as weather and/or construction activity permits. This is done in an effort to be better neighbors and minimize the noise impact to the surrounding communities as much as possible. Residents of cities west of the airport have complained of increased noise as a result of the airport's refusal to abide by noise abatement rules.[

Oct 18, 2011
Still no top 6 F or top 4 D. Pretty disappointing off season so far depending so much on internal improvement is going to lead to another top 5 or 10 pick

Reactions: Son of Gib

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Still no top 6 F or top 4 D. Pretty disappointing off season so far depending so much on internal improvement is going to lead to another top 5 or 10 pick

Hate to break it to you, but it seems likely that Dumoulin is the "top 4 D addition", even if only a one year placeholder. Yes he only averaged 17:01 per game last year in his lone season with Seattle, but prior to that he played almost 19 per night as a rookie and then spent seven straight seasons averaging well over 20 mins per night, always with heavy PK time. He's here to play 18-20+ on a nightly basis and take some of the defensive load off of Gudas shoulders

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In the absence of a big top 4 upgrade or a true top pairing, we do have three proven vets (Fowler, Gudas, Dumoulin) who can make up three quarters of pairings 2A and 2B. Mintyukov should have an inside track on rounding that out, but it can basically be open competition between him, Zell, Lacombe, Luneau and whoever else to decide the rest. I still wouldn't mind signing one more battle tested righty veteran in Bortuzzo, basically forcing the kids to earn one of two spots or start the year down the in the AHL. I sort of get the sense they are done though.

Fowler <-> Dumoulin
Mintyukov - Gudas
Zell/Lacombe - Bortuzzo [Luneau]
Vaak

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I will repeat myself here, but I read on Seattle board or somewhere, that Dumo played a lot paired with (I think it was Ryker Evans) Kraken's young LD prospect but as an RHD. Which might had been the reason his minutes were lower as well, but apparently he was great (?) in that role.

Fowler – Dumo might be our 1st pair, but I think it's a good chance we see Minty–Dumo instead. Because Gudas might not be able to play that many minutes, and Fowler can better adopt a "lesser" player as his pair. So just to have a veteran next to Minty, Dumo might be our best bet, imo

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still think Dumo and Fabbri are upgrades to what we have in the bottom pairing and lines. Talking to Detroit fans and if Fabbri can play at least 50 games will be a win for the Ducks. With the Ducks medical staff which I really do question that may be a challenge. But if he stays healthy can potentially get 20 goals from him. Jones or Groulx were not doing anything close to that.

Plus have Gauthier being added who I think could have hit the NHL last year but staying in college and getting physically ready was the best thing for him, and I think he can make an immediate impact similar to what Zegras did in his rookie season. What would save me from another disappointing season is Gauthier finishing Top 3 in Calder voting.

Then there is the improvement from our young players if most of them can take a step forward will improve from within the organization.

My bar is very low. I just don’t want another bottom 5 finish. It will really question a lot of things. It’s been embarrassing enough. Time to at least show they can be a decent team with hopes of being playoff competitive in a couple of years.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
On defense, split the vets and 5v5 minutes fairly evenly through the season and on a game by game based on who's having a good game (this is under the assumption no player/pair clearly shows they are a #1 pair). Let Zell run PP1 and probably Mintyukov and/or LaCombe on PP2 (Fowler plays if both of them can't run the unit). Fowler, Dumo, Gudas, and Mintyukov/LaCombe on the PK. It should limit Fowler's minutes and not put too much pressure on any of the kids. Vaak can come in every couple games for a kid so they don't burn out.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I will repeat myself here, but I read on Seattle board or somewhere, that Dumo played a lot paired with (I think it was Ryker Evans) Kraken's young LD prospect but as an RHD. Which might had been the reason his minutes were lower as well, but apparently he was great (?) in that role.

Fowler – Dumo might be our 1st pair, but I think it's a good chance we see Minty–Dumo instead. Because Gudas might not be able to play that many minutes, and Fowler can better adopt a "lesser" player as his pair. So just to have a veteran next to Minty, Dumo might be our best bet, imo
I’m pretty sure Evans was the one who played on the right side, not Dumoulin. Here are two example lineups:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kalv
Oct 18, 2011
Hate to break it to you, but it seems likely that Dumoulin is the "top 4 D addition", even if only a one year placeholder. Yes he only averaged 17:01 per game last year in his lone season with Seattle, but prior to that he played almost 19 per night as a rookie and then spent seven straight seasons averaging well over 20 mins per night, always with heavy PK time. He's here to play 18-20+ on a nightly basis and take some of the defensive load off of Gudas shoulders
That's not a top 4 dman. We will be bad again if he is

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The more I think about it, the more I realize we're probably still a bottom 5 team. I just hope we're a much better one.

For context, last year 5th worst had 17 more points than we did (Habs). That's already a tall task. I just hope we show tons of promise as well

Genuine question - what gave any indication that we would be better? Acquiring a depth piece like Dumoulin and an injury-prone bottom six scorer isn’t pushing the needle. Asking the ‘kids’ to handle it all on their own a bit much IMO.

Maybe changing the coaching staff will help a bit, but if they can’t put these players in a position to succeed then they are part of the blame too.

It will be - but don’t worry, Verbeek will spin an excuse somehow lol

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I still think Dumo and Fabbri are upgrades to what we have in the bottom pairing and lines. Talking to Detroit fans and if Fabbri can play at least 50 games will be a win for the Ducks. With the Ducks medical staff which I really do question that may be a challenge. But if he stays healthy can potentially get 20 goals from him. Jones or Groulx were not doing anything close to that.

Plus have Gauthier being added who I think could have hit the NHL last year but staying in college and getting physically ready was the best thing for him, and I think he can make an immediate impact similar to what Zegras did in his rookie season. What would save me from another disappointing season is Gauthier finishing Top 3 in Calder voting.

Then there is the improvement from our young players if most of them can take a step forward will improve from within the organization.

My bar is very low. I just don’t want another bottom 5 finish. It will really question a lot of things. It’s been embarrassing enough. Time to at least show they can be a decent team with hopes of being playoff competitive in a couple of years.

Top-6F === ↘️
Rico vs Cutter: I think we downgrade here due to Rico's vast NHL experience at everything, including faceoffs.

Rico was one of the handful of players who finished with a +1 or higher rating who played a significant amount of games last year. Cutter is still going to be rookie and the most games he has played in college was 41 games, which was last season. Plus side is Cutter was 49.3% at the faceoff dot in 740 attempts. In that way, he is similar to Rico as a LW who takes faceoffs. Cutter is our top-6 forward addition.

Cutter staying an extra year in the NCAA proved to be beneficial for Cutter as his game took off to another level in the 2nd half of the season. For instance, Colangelo was a goal behind Cutter mid-season, but Cutter finished with 14 more goals than Colangelo at the end of the season as well as finished 1st in the NCAA goal scoring with 38 goals. Also, Cutter improved his FO% with increased attempts between the two seasons: 47.7% on 438 attempts in 2022-23 compared to 49.3% on 740 attempts in 2023-24.

Overcooking is a good thing. LaCombe was overcooked as he spent four seasons in the NCAA and he was not injured last year, just healthy scratched due to player rotation.

Cutter - Carlsson - Terry
Vatrano - Mac - Colangelo/Strome
Killorn - Z - Strome/Colangelo

Bottom-6F === ⬆️
Fabbri vs Jones & Groulx. On paper, this is a significant upgrade for scoring.

Last year, Fabbri scored 18g and 32 pts; Jones and Groulx combined for 5g and 17pts. If Fabbri can stay healthy for most of the season, then it's definitely a win for the bottom-6 offense. Just gotta pair him with a defensive forward or two. Fortunately, we have a couple in Lundy and Leason.

Verbeek did improve the scoring in the bottom-6, which was one of the things he intended to do.

Fabbri - Lundy - Leason
extra: Johnston

Top-4RD === ↔️
LD Dumo vs RD Lyubushkin. Talent-wise, it's a slight improvement offensively. The problem here is that he is a LD.

There are conflicting reports if Dumo played RD last year, which was shared by @duxfan1101 recently. If Dumo does stay at LD and RD Luneau starts in the AHL, then Anaheim will be forced to play a couple of LD's on the right hand side in Zellweger and LaCombe. Also, it may force Verbeek to change him mind about preferring players play on their shooting sides.

NHL level
LD's (6): Fowler, Minty*, Zell*, LaCombe*, Vaak, Dumo
RD's (1): Gudas
* = waiver exemption (as per capwages)

AHL level
LD's : Hinds (Dionicio could be in Switzerland and Solberg in the SHL)
RD's: Helleson, Warren, and Luneau

It maybe a good thing to re-sign RD Lindstrom just for NHL depth sakes.

Should Dumo remain at LD, then our pairings might look like...

Fowler - Zell
Minty - Gudas
Dumo - LaCombe
Vaak

The problem with this is Gudas was wearing down hard when presented with more minutes. Gudas is optimal in a third pairing role. I'm not fond of Zell in a top pairing role just yet either.

==============

We sort made lateral moves this off-season and are banking on the youths taking steps forward in the NHL and AHL. IMO, if we are to vastly improve, then it'll be due to the coaching staff. They can help reduce penalties, improve the PK, improve the PP, and improve ES goal scoring.

=== Penalties ===
Cutting down on penalties alone will help b/c our PK efficiency were similar. We gave up an addition 50 TSH chances last year.

2022-23: 280 TSH and 72.14% PK eff (31st in league)
2023-24: 330 TSH and 72.42% PK eff (31st in league

PK Goals allowed
2022-23: 78 PK GA
2023-24: 91 PK GA

We could have prevented 13 fewer PK GA just with fewer penalties.

=== PK ===
We have the same assistant coach in Brent Thompson, despite having better defensive players. What the PK unit did excel at was short-handed goals. They were tied for 2nd best in SH goals in the league with 12 shorties. Is it possible to improve the PK while maintaining high SH goal chances? Dunno.

=== PP ===
New coach. This is a wait and see.

=== ES Offense ===
This is where the Ducks can vastly improve, but I don't know if Cronin has it in him to be flexible in his offensive scheme.

DucksES Play
SeasonGame SetES GFES GAES GD
2022-231 to 27
172​
253​
-81​
2023-241 to 27
149​
199​
-50​
-23​
-54​
31​

With more talent on board last year, Cronin's offense was a dud.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Top-6F === ↘️
Rico vs Cutter: I think we downgrade here due to Rico's vast NHL experience at everything, including faceoffs.

Rico was one of the handful of players who finished with a +1 or higher rating who played a significant amount of games last year. Cutter is still going to be rookie and the most games he has played in college was 41 games, which was last season. Plus side is Cutter was 49.3% at the faceoff dot in 740 attempts. In that way, he is similar to Rico as a LW who takes faceoffs. Cutter is our top-6 forward addition.

Cutter staying an extra year in the NCAA proved to be beneficial for Cutter as his game took off to another level in the 2nd half of the season. For instance, Colangelo was a goal behind Cutter mid-season, but Cutter finished with 14 more goals than Colangelo at the end of the season as well as finished 1st in the NCAA goal scoring with 38 goals. Also, Cutter improved his FO% with increased attempts between the two seasons: 47.7% on 438 attempts in 2022-23 compared to 49.3% on 740 attempts in 2023-24.

Overcooking is a good thing. LaCombe was overcooked as he spent four seasons in the NCAA and he was not injured last year, just healthy scratched due to player rotation.

Cutter - Carlsson - Terry
Vatrano - Mac - Colangelo/Strome
Killorn - Z - Strome/Colangelo

Bottom-6F === ⬆️
Fabbri vs Jones & Groulx. On paper, this is a significant upgrade for scoring.

Last year, Fabbri scored 18g and 32 pts; Jones and Groulx combined for 5g and 17pts. If Fabbri can stay healthy for most of the season, then it's definitely a win for the bottom-6 offense. Just gotta pair him with a defensive forward or two. Fortunately, we have a couple in Lundy and Leason.

Verbeek did improve the scoring in the bottom-6, which was one of the things he intended to do.

Fabbri - Lundy - Leason
extra: Johnston

Top-4RD === ↔️
LD Dumo vs RD Lyubushkin. Talent-wise, it's a slight improvement offensively. The problem here is that he is a LD.

There are conflicting reports if Dumo played RD last year, which was shared by @duxfan1101 recently. If Dumo does stay at LD and RD Luneau starts in the AHL, then Anaheim will be forced to play a couple of LD's on the right hand side in Zellweger and LaCombe. Also, it may force Verbeek to change him mind about preferring players play on their shooting sides.

NHL level
LD's (6): Fowler, Minty*, Zell*, LaCombe*, Vaak, Dumo
RD's (1): Gudas
* = waiver exemption (as per capwages)

AHL level
LD's : Hinds (Dionicio could be in Switzerland and Solberg in the SHL)
RD's: Helleson, Warren, and Luneau

It maybe a good thing to re-sign RD Lindstrom just for NHL depth sakes.

Should Dumo remain at LD, then our pairings might look like...

Fowler - Zell
Minty - Gudas
Dumo - LaCombe
Vaak

The problem with this is Gudas was wearing down hard when presented with more minutes. Gudas is optimal in a third pairing role. I'm not fond of Zell in a top pairing role just yet either.

==============

We sort made lateral moves this off-season and are banking on the youths taking steps forward in the NHL and AHL. IMO, if we are to vastly improve, then it'll be due to the coaching staff. They can help reduce penalties, improve the PK, improve the PP, and improve ES goal scoring.

=== Penalties ===
Cutting down on penalties alone will help b/c our PK efficiency were similar. We gave up an addition 50 TSH chances last year.

2022-23: 280 TSH and 72.14% PK eff (31st in league)
2023-24: 330 TSH and 72.42% PK eff (31st in league

PK Goals allowed
2022-23: 78 PK GA
2023-24: 91 PK GA

We could have prevented 13 fewer PK GA just with fewer penalties.

=== PK ===
We have the same assistant coach in Brent Thompson, despite having better defensive players. What the PK unit did excel at was short-handed goals. They were tied for 2nd best in SH goals in the league with 12 shorties. Is it possible to improve the PK while maintaining high SH goal chances? Dunno.

=== PP ===
New coach. This is a wait and see.

=== ES Offense ===
This is where the Ducks can vastly improve, but I don't know if Cronin has it in him to be flexible in his offensive scheme.

DucksES Play
SeasonGame SetES GFES GAES GD
2022-231 to 27
172​
253​
-81​
2023-241 to 27
149​
199​
-50​
-23​
-54​
31​

With more talent on board last year, Cronin's offense was a dud.

Good stuff. As I said before. If we stayed mostly healthy last year I don’t think we finish that badly. We had a lot of one goal games. A lot depends how the kids progress, and also how the vets do obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad