Did Edmonton wait too long to pull Skinner?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They were certainly too tired to get anything done anymore, it'd have invited even more criticism if (likely) unsuccessful, but the Oilers should have sent more fresh players out.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Any earlier likely would have meant either 3+ minutes of empty net for the Panthers to aim at, or pulling him when the Oilers didn't have solid possession.
There were multiple opportunities with an offensive zone faceoff around the 5-7 minute mark.

They could've pulled him, get their top unit out for 1-2 mins. If there's a faceoff you put him back with the second unit, then repeat later when they're rested.
You even get a commercial break somewhere in there.

They could've played an extra 40 minutes of 5v5 and not scored on a Florida team that was 9-0 this playoffs with a lead in the 3rd. Needed to make something happen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They played 12 minutes so tell that to your coach I guess because that's fourth line minutes on most team
4th lines don’t play 12 minutes lol. Last game of the year down a goal they put it in the hands of the stars is what it is. They didn’t get it done.

Reactions: TMLife17

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
4th lines don’t play 12 minutes lol. Last game of the year down a goal they put it in the hands of the stars is what it is. They didn’t get it done.
Yah Mcdrai played a ton which is fine, but every other shift it felt like they didn't have any option to keep the momentum/possession going. From what I remember they played mostly Janmkark-Rnh-Foegele in the last 10 minutes

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I'm agreeing with anyone saying it wouldn't have made a positive difference given how tired the Oilers' top guys were.
I don't remember when I've last seen the entire lineup on the ice look that tired.
The cramping must have been on a different level.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
IMO they should of pulled him in conjunction when McDavid+Leon jumped on the ice for the final stretch. If that was at 3 minutes left, do it.
McDavid was gassed by the time Skinner was pulled.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
there was an o-zone faceoff with about 3:40 left where they had McDavid and Draisaitl out there, I said to myself they should run the 3rd line and try to force a faceoff to get them some rest and then pull the goalie. But its definitely risking wasting a bunch of time

McDavid pulled that move off on Florida to assist the Perry goal 2:20 into his shift, so he can still make plays when he's had a long shift. Those are the best players on the team so I get Knoblauchs logic there

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Should have had Janmark and co out at the end, Draisaitl was being helped up on strings and McDavid was wiped

Man if there is anyone on that team who boosted his value hitting free agency, it's Janmark.

Dude was a lion out there - and the only one to get one past Bob. What a playoff run he had.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Man if there is anyone on that team who boosted his value hitting free agency, it's Janmark.

Dude was a lion out there - and the only one to get one past Bob. What a playoff run he had.
He was fantastic - would have score in that last minute or died trying I’m sure

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
A couple of seasons too late...

And they still got the best Skinner can offer in the finals. AND they still were only a one post away from winning the whole thing.

Imo Edmonton botched the last 3-4mins. The top guys were dead tired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad