Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman??

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Not taking anything away from Diaz but if Subban were playing along side Markov would he be the leading Dman in the NHL right now instead of Diaz? Just some food for thought...

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Not taking anything away from Diaz but if Subban were playing along side Markov would he be the leading Dman in the NHL right now instead of Diaz? Just some food for thought...

Maybe. He'd probably be leading the league in turnovers and shots against the glass too :sarcasm:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

No he wouldn't. Diaz's success on the power play is mainly he does not waste 1 sec with the puck. Every decision he takes, he takes it very fast, which is a perfect complimentary to a posession player like Markov who takes the center while Diaz is able to go from corner to corner with his AMAZING hustle. Diaz has a much bigger work ethic than I thought.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Diaz knows it's not always about the big shot or the fancy plays on the PP. Just find those lanes, keep things simple and get pucks to the net. Sometimes a quick released wrist shot from the point through traffic is a lot more dangerous than the big predictable wind-up slap shot. He sees the ice really well and makes wise decisions with the puck. Makes it really tough to defend against because you can't anticipate what he's going to do.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
No he wouldn't. Diaz's success on the power play is mainly he does not waste 1 sec with the puck. Every decision he takes, he takes it very fast, which is a perfect complimentary to a posession player like Markov who takes the center while Diaz is able to go from corner to corner with his AMAZING hustle. Diaz has a much bigger work ethic than I thought.

Here in Switzerland, summer/fall 2012 Diaz has been training very hard to improve his level on the points he knew he had to work. He is a workhorse And wants to succeed.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Perfect partner for Markov, not too flashy and knows his role. Markov makes his game look better than it is but that is ok because Markov does that to everyone.

68*

What happens to the Markov-Diaz PP pairing when Subban gets signed? Markov and Diaz are made for each other. Diaz has a shot that hits the net, he's composed and he has good puck control and makes good passes. He also understands that Markov is the General so he doesn't try to steal the show from Markov.

I will be happy when Subban is signed but is it possible that a Markov-Diaz PP duo is better than a Markov-Subban PP duo? I think Subban would try to do too much and it would piss off Markov.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
What happens to the Markov-Diaz PP pairing when Subban gets signed? Markov and Diaz are made for each other. Diaz has a shot that hits the net, he's composed and he has good puck control and makes good passes. He also understands that Markov is the General so he doesn't try to steal the show from Markov.

I will be happy when Subban is signed but is it possible that a Markov-Diaz PP duo is better than a Markov-Subban PP duo? I think Subban would try to do too much and it would piss off Markov.
3D. Give Markov two options to pass to. The Unstoppable Umbrella.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He was god last year before his injury.

I would not go that far. Diaz has decent instincts, but his execution is not at an elite level or godlike. He also has a tendency to get overpowered at times.

Having said that, I was not happy with his lack of ice time to start, but its been going up steadily with each passing game, so it looks like he is getting the trust of the new coaching staff pretty quick.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
And physicality!

Diaz is a damn fine first PP guy. I agree that he's no first pairing material. But on the PP I have no problem with him there.

He has a great hard and accurate shot, crisp passing and he can keep the puck in with his mobility and great positioning, what would you want more ?

Yeah, that wasnt of great tase I agree. But I went with the trend of calling him a woman.

Anyway, people who can't bring a constructive argument will not receive a constructive answer.

Perhaps we've been spoiled over the last decade with some fantastic PP triggermen, but I dont see Diaz quite on the same level as our previous guys. His shot is good, not great, and I would like to see him get it through traffic more often. Sometimes, I feel like his shot selection is a little questionable as well. His passing is fine, but not exceptional like markov who can pierce the box at will with cross ice gems.

I see him as a somewhat adequate first unit pp guy with markov, but I think he would make a great 2nd unit guy. We just don't have the luxury to put him on the 2nd unit right now, until PK comes back.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
people are excited because he's playing like he never got injured. oh no.... :help:

5 pages of praise I think is going overboard.

But all sports fans are like this. I read boards all over the net on various sports and the moment a player does well for a couple of matchs, fandom see them as the second coming. It's just that I think it's too soon and we Habs fans tend to create Gods of mere men pretty quickly. Remember Latendresse?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps we've been spoiled over the last decade with some fantastic PP triggermen, but I dont see Diaz quite on the same level as our previous guys. His shot is good, not great, and I would like to see him get it through traffic more often. Sometimes, I feel like his shot selection is a little questionable as well. His passing is fine, but not exceptional like markov who can pierce the box at will with cross ice gems.

I see him as a somewhat adequate first unit pp guy with markov, but I think he would make a great 2nd unit guy. We just don't have the luxury to put him on the 2nd unit right now, until PK comes back.

From what hes shown, he could be as great as Streit(Wich I think, means pretty much our best Point man since the early '90s. Now he need's to do it consistently. From what I've seen this year(Swiss league too..) and some of last year, he's a good shooter and passer. It's all in the IQ and Diaz as alot of it.

5 pages of praise I think is going overboard.

But all sports fans are like this. I read boards all over the net on various sports and the moment a player does well for a couple of matchs, fandom see them as the second coming. It's just that I think it's too soon and we Habs fans tend to create Gods of mere men pretty quickly. Remember Latendresse?
I remember Tender, I also remember injuries and mishandling of his case.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Perfect partner for Markov, not too flashy and knows his role. Markov makes his game look better than it is but that is ok because Markov does that to everyone.

This. Markov dictates what the powerplay is going to do by the way he moves the puck. The other 4 players follow.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006

I agree with you. As good as Subban is, if he comes back I don't think I would change our PP, since it's working really well right now. I would put Subban on the second wave and we would simply have 2 great PP waves, with great defensemen on the point, and good forwards on both waves. Pretty interesting PP units to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00