Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman??

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
As a rule I think we should refrain from evaluating players (at least from putting a $ value on their worth) until they've played:

1) well against a team other than the Florida Panthers on a 3 games/3cities/ 4 nights stretch.

2) against competition that is in mid-season conditioning

3) in the playoffs

Jsweenie

Apr 11, 2004
Markov has that superhuman ability to make his defence partners look better without appearing to really do anything. It's as though he can recognize a skill set and use a players strengths while covering weaknesses. Emelin is going to have a good year beside him even strength just because he knows that stepping up to make that hit doesn't leave a hole in coverage. I said it last year, brains don't deteriorate like legs. Diaz is good in his own right. I can see him playing pp Qb at some point in this year. Glad he has Markov to watch and learn from

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
and good thing gainey didnt fall for it and offer something better

We kind of lucked out all the times Gainey couldnt get UFAs because somebody else offered more:

Komisarek, Kovalev (replaced by Gionta), Briere, Smyth... all those guys didn't play as well as their contracts.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We kind of lucked out all the times Gainey couldnt get UFAs because somebody else offered more:

Komisarek, Kovalev (replaced by Gionta), Briere, Smyth... all those guys didn't play as well as their contracts.

I think Komisarek would have had a better last few years had he stayed here for 4 years 14-15 mil or whatever they were offering. He went to TO and because of the money they expected a lot and he was in a no win situation.

JMMR

Mar 21, 2006
Ottawa

I agree with all but Briere
That guys has been a force in the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I agree with all but Briere
That guys has been a force in the playoffs.

He's scored in the playoffs.

Unfortunately the other team has scored on him faster than he can score in the last 2 post seasons. Which is always the problem with him, he's a crummy even strength player because he has no defense.

pachorella

Feb 19, 2009
montreal
I think Diaz likes Montreal, he is settling down here now, and montreal is the most city in NA that looks like europe if u know what i mean lol!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think Diaz likes Montreal, he is settling down here now, and montreal is the most city in NA that looks like europe if u know what i mean lol!
I liked reading that when he returned from Switzerland, Max Pacioretty went to pick him up at the airport. Seems like this team is getting a closer overall - and it shows on the ice.

Also - White and Prust's actions are contagious. This team seems to literally love each each other right now.

PricePkPatch*

Can we change the thread title to:

"Colonel Diaz - The 7millions dollar adjutant"?

Dacop

Jan 19, 2013

Diaz never played for another team than Zug in Switzerland. I think he's the kind of guy who doesn't care about money in the first place, but about feeling comfortable in his team - and it seems like he does feel great in Montreal. I wouldn't worry too much about him.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
as a European who's been in both cities, sorry to say this on this board but... i'd have to say Boston instead.

Anyway, to stay on topic.. it's funny to remember how, even after a couple of months into last season, many posters here were saying Diaz was not even NHL material :laugh:

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I really liked Diaz last year a lot of people overlooked him but I always thought he brought a lot of maturity for a rookie, must be the Swiss-Spanish swagger. Let's not forget that he is 27 years old but he is a keeper and should of been in the league 5 years ago.

Given he keeps healthy this is the kind of guy I hope MB will want to have long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad