Speculation: Dhaliwal: Canucks looking for veteran goalie as Demko remains injured.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Lankinen rumour makes sense but I’d hold out for a guaranteed 1 yr cheap nhl deal

Waive to minors if need be

Viking10

Jul 25, 2024
PTO a Goalie, no need to hand out a guaranteed contract to someone still looking for term and $ like Lankinen.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Silovs did ok but he also showed some major gaps in his game during the playoffs. Don’t think he will do well down the stretch as the #1. Lankinen makes sense for the right price

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Silovs did ok but he also showed some major gaps in his game during the playoffs. Don’t think he will do well down the stretch as the #1. Lankinen makes sense for the right price
I agree to a certain extent. He is not a guarantee even as a backup in Vancouver.

Though, I say this as someone who has hyper fixated on the Canucks goaltending pipeline for the last 20 years. Big fan of the kid overall.

May I ask - what gaps are you seeing?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I agree to a certain extent. He is not a guarantee even as a backup in Vancouver.

Though, I say this as someone who has hyper fixated on the Canucks goaltending pipeline for the last 20 years. Big fan of the kid overall.

May I ask - what gaps are you seeing?
He did good in tight but he gave up ALOT from distance. His shot prediction and play reading needs some work.

He did well for a 3rd stringer with almost no NHL experience though. Overall think he will be fine, just needs some more work as a backup and NHL level training

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The nuclear option here, where everybody gambles big....

Presuming a story at Yardbarker from this am which said they are not sure when/how long into the season it will be before Demko returns, in theory:

Rs wanna avoid possible 12m cap hit on Shesty [guessing it will be around 10.25 x 6-8 if he has similar yr again this season].
Rs can gamble on Quick while Garand development is accelerated, w/Domingue also stop gap.
At some pt Quick retires and it's Demko/Garand short term, hopefully Garand emerges NY can then sell high on him as well.

Shesty is a steal at like 5.6-ish on his current, expiring deal.

So VAN would have to bid over likes of TOR + prob others

Shesty + __________________
for
Demko ++ __________________

The ? is, do 'nucks wanna gamble on extending, and if yes, what significant add would VAN offer?

If offers not high enuf, we can juggle, not extend Panarin, and go Shesty-Garand as a fallback.
What happens when Demko refuses to sign in NY? He’s either going to extend in Vancouver, or in all likelihood, end up with the Kings/Ducks, or in Detroit.

Those are the 3 teams he’ll push a move to next summer, if he’s not going to sign another deal in Vancouver. Odds are it’ll be Detroit but we’ll see where those teams are (in net) come that time.

He enjoys playing in Vancouver but his wife’s family has a business in Detroit she’s likely to take over, and they’ve now started a family. So there’s a better than average bet, the move Demko pushes, is to Detroit.

If we get to the deadline this year, and Detroit isn’t in a playoff spot, or at least fighting for one, and Demko is having issues staying healthy this year, and Talbot is having a really good year in Detroit, don’t be surprised if the deal happens then, with Talbot ending up in Vancouver for the stretch drive.

My guess is, it happens next summer though.

6 months ago I would’ve put Demko to LA at 25%, Detroit at 25%, Anaheim at 25% and re-signing at 25%. After some things I’ve heard this summer, I’ll put Kings at 15%, Ducks at 15%, re-signing at 20%, and being dealt to Detroit at 50%. Happening before the 25-26’ season.

It’s something they’ll have to start tracking in Vancouver, but good bet they’re already starting to think about their Net long-term, and it NOT having Thatcher Demko in it.

Reactions: flychairman

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
  • Haha
Reactions: junyab

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Canucks netminding pipeline is strong. Was impressed with how they'd bring a goalie out and they rocked. Call someone up and run them with Silovs.

With the true state of Demko being shrouded in mystery, it's hard to comment one way or the other about him. He's absolutely injury prone and is starting to become a liability because of it. If the Canucks decide to acquire a netminder because they don't trust what's in the pipeline or those netminders start crapping out, don't f-k around, actually get a warrior and pay the cost.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Supposedly Silovs is hurt too.

They are going to hqve to do something relatively soon because training camp is days away

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Demko is doing on ice sessions. Silovs injury is reported to be minor. More of a case of letting it heal before camp rather than a long term concern. From the things I read anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad