Speculation: Dhaliwal: Canucks looking for veteran goalie as Demko remains injured.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Luongo, Schneider, Markstrom, Demko

if Demko doesnt recover the way we all hope then is Silovs the next to carry the Torch for Vancouver as their starting goalie? Van may not have a choice... lets hope 23 year old Silovs is the real deal.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Pearson was healthy when the trade was made. Do you not understand the difference?
He was a warm body that cost Montreal ownership millions in order to garner a 3rd round pick. Poolman’s salary is mostly covered by insurance so a cost conscious team could dump a more expensive, expendable goalie and save potentially millions while also garnering a pick. Poolman not playing in that instance means nothing, it’s only the capspace that is the issue.

I fully understand the difference. You must think Montreal’s GM was dumb enough to target Pearson as a positive on-ice player rather than simply a way to get value out of DeSmith.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He was a warm body that cost Montreal ownership millions in order to garner a 3rd round pick. Poolman’s salary is mostly covered by insurance so a cost conscious team could dump a more expensive, expendable goalie and save potentially millions while also garnering a pick. Poolman not playing in that instance means nothing, it’s only the capspace that is the issue.

I fully understand the difference. You must think Montreal’s GM was dumb enough to target Pearson as a positive on-ice player rather than simply a way to get value out of DeSmith.
If you say so.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wouldn't it be better to just get whatever issues he has sorted through a proper surgery?
The player has to agree to have surgery. Or maybe surgery isn't going to help him recover.

You'd have to think that this might end up poorly for Vancouver. Why not just trade for a guy like Askarov, in case these injury issues with Demko don't ever sort out? It would cost a good piece of course, but it might be the safest route. Silovs or Tolopilo and a 1st for Askarov should be close to fair value.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So if Demko is out that makes Silovs the starter, so who would be the backup if no move could be made?
Right now, probably Tolopilo who actually arguably played just as well as Silovs last season.

They would definitely be looking for a vet if Demko is expected to miss any meaningful games though.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
My guess they'll pick one up on waivers unless they find someone through a PTO.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

There are no more cost conscious teams in that mold anymore after the Coyotes moved to Utah. Unless you're talking about a goalie like Merzlikins.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There are no more cost conscious teams in that mold anymore after the Coyotes moved to Utah. Unless you're talking about a goalie like Merzlikins.
I’m not talking about a situation like the Coyotes where they took on contracts just to reach the cap floor. I’m talking about a scenario where Vancouver swaps Poolman’s $2.5M caphit to another team for their expendable goaltender making similar money and throws in pick(s) to make it worthwhile. The potential monetary savings could offset the cost of not getting a “warm body” in return.

Detroit for example has Ville Husso potentially blocking Detroit’s AHL prospects from playing time. Maybe something could be worked out there.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Anyone else wonder if the "new school" goalie style is so demanding physically that goalies are getting hurt more often and more seriously?
Absolutely. I played 1/20th of the level of the NHL. I’m turning 31 in the fall and was told two years ago I have arthritis in both knees.

Keeping in mind I was on the ice 4/7 nights most weeks until 18. Started in net at age 12. Body’s aren’t made to be in the butterfly stance as often as goaltenders are required. Then you add in the other risks (concussions, groin tears etc). I can’t imagine what the strain of an NHL tempo/schedule would do to you.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Just grab someone's 3rd string guy on waivers if Demko will be back in November or something. If not, then a bigger move may be needed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Demko should be injured less imo. It's unreasonable, the amount of injuries he picks up out of seemingly nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad