Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's bizarre to me how much this website shit talks Kapanen. He's getting grilled for having a bad season this year, yet is still on pace for 15 goals and 40 points or so. He has consistently paced for between 40 and 50 points ever since he was made a top-9 forward in 2018-2019, without getting pretty much any powerplay production. He was an excellent PKer with Toronto and brings a ton of speed to the table. He's also only 25.

It's just weird how this website simultaneously says things like "Texier and Hagel can bring back a 1st rounder and more" while also saying "Kapanen sucks". Kapanen's biggest flaw is that he has tunnel vision and would be better suited as a driver on the 3rd line instead of a complementary top-6 forward.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
A late 1st and Kapanen for Boeser… yikes! Boeser with Crosby would be ridiculous!

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Canucks pretty much only have 1 good D prospect and that's Rathbone, an offensive LHD.

We actually could use a defensive LHD to play 3rd pair behind OEL and Hughes, but we would probably prefer a more physical/rugged/PK type guy.

RD is virtually bare from the top of the organization down. Immediate need is a defensive RHD partner for Hughes (COUGH TANEV COUGH), but when it comes to RD prospects we'd probably take anything of value.
Disagree, I still see Woo as a good prospect. Likely 3rd pairing, but could be a 2nd pairing RHD. He seems solid defensively.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Boeser for Kapanen+POJ would be a good deal for both sides, IMHO.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is Kapanen's QO is like $800k for next year. Boeser is what, $7mil?

If Vancouver is looking for cap flexibility, this is a good swap.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Disagree, I still see Woo as a good prospect. Likely 3rd pairing, but could be a 2nd pairing RHD. He seems solid defensively.

Still probably a long-shot to be a good regular player in the NHL.

I don't know if the Canucks consider him at all when discussing trade targets. As in, I doubt anyone in management has said something like "Do we really need X RD prospect from this team? We already have Woo so..."

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lots of report lately out of Van that Boeser is the main piece that will be shipped rather than Miller.

Would not mind Kapanen but I think if Boeser is moved a Dman is coming in return whether thats from Pitt or not we shall soon find out.

upload_2022-3-4_11-37-16.gif

Reactions: Gurglesons

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Boeser for Kapanen+POJ would be a good deal for both sides, IMHO.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is Kapanen's QO is like $800k for next year. Boeser is what, $7mil?

If Vancouver is looking for cap flexibility, this is a good swap.

Anyone talking about a huge gap between Kap and Boeser is ignoring the QO and ES production

There is a value gap, just not a huge one, think a first is pretty reasonable

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I mean, based on what is that a "clear loss" for Vancouver? Kapanen's peak value is a 1st and a B level prospect, based on what Rutherford traded for him about 2 years ago. Do you think POJ plus that value for peak Boeser is unfair value? I don't think it is. And if you try to say "Kapanen's not at his peak value right now because he's having a bad season", I can say the exact same thing about Boeser too.

Ironically, Kapanen is actually out-producing Boeser at ES this year, both in goals and points.
I am saying Kapanen isn't even close to the same player Boeser is. Boeser is a goal scorer, that is what he does. A true top 6 winger that scores at a 31 goal per 82 game pace. Kapanen has been tried on scoring lines in both Pitt and Toronto and he wasn't successful. Kapanen has the exact same amount of PK time as Boeser (none) so he doesn't do that better than Boeser. Kapanen has been criticized for his lack of effort, he is a 3rd line winger that doesn't really have any other attributes that make him stand out. Boeser's worst statistical year is still far better than Kapanen's best statistical year. I also find the EV scoring debate somewhat flawed - Garland is the Canucks best 5 v 5 scorer, he definitely isn't the Canuck's best scorer. Earlier in the season Garland had the same 5v5 production as McDavid, so there are obvious flaws in the 5v5 scoring as an indication of skill. If Kapanen deserved the PP time, he would get it. Boeser produces on the PP so he gets the time. Switch positions and I would bet a lot that Boeser would be producing on the Pens PP and Kap wouldn't be producing on the Canucks PP.

In those 2 year since Kap was traded back to the Pens, he hasn't established himself as anything other than a complimentary winger with questionable hockey IQ and effort level. Boeser's biggest critic has been his QO and some injuries. POJ has also lost some friends in the organization, I think it's fair to say his development hasn't been what a lot of people thought it would be after his first stint in the NHL. He also is a LHD which isn't a huge need and this team can't be trading away pieces and not addressing their needs. It would be a straight up loss.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's bizarre to me how much this website shit talks Kapanen. He's getting grilled for having a bad season this year, yet is still on pace for 15 goals and 40 points or so. He has consistently paced for between 40 and 50 points ever since he was made a top-9 forward in 2018-2019, without getting pretty much any powerplay production. He was an excellent PKer with Toronto and brings a ton of speed to the table. He's also only 25.

It's just weird how this website simultaneously says things like "Texier and Hagel can bring back a 1st rounder and more" while also saying "Kapanen sucks". Kapanen's biggest flaw is that he has tunnel vision and would be better suited as a driver on the 3rd line instead of a complementary top-6 forward.
How is Kapanen defensively?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Kapanen to Vancouver is basically an annoying meme at this point. If we're moving Boeser, Kapanen is essentially a cap dump more then an asset to us. Two of Joseph, Poulin or Pittsburgh's first for Boeser, fully retained if that helps, is the kind of deal I'd push for, assuming we don't have another dance partner for Boeser.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am saying Kapanen isn't even close to the same player Boeser is. Boeser is a goal scorer, that is what he does. A true top 6 winger that scores at a 31 goal per 82 game pace. Kapanen has been tried on scoring lines in both Pitt and Toronto and he wasn't successful. Kapanen has the exact same amount of PK time as Boeser (none) so he doesn't do that better than Boeser. Kapanen has been criticized for his lack of effort, he is a 3rd line winger that doesn't really have any other attributes that make him stand out. Boeser's worst statistical year is still far better than Kapanen's best statistical year. I also find the EV scoring debate somewhat flawed - Garland is the Canucks best 5 v 5 scorer, he definitely isn't the Canuck's best scorer. Earlier in the season Garland had the same 5v5 production as McDavid, so there are obvious flaws in the 5v5 scoring as an indication of skill. If Kapanen deserved the PP time, he would get it. Boeser produces on the PP so he gets the time. Switch positions and I would bet a lot that Boeser would be producing on the Pens PP and Kap wouldn't be producing on the Canucks PP.

In those 2 year since Kap was traded back to the Pens, he hasn't established himself as anything other than a complimentary winger with questionable hockey IQ and effort level. Boeser's biggest critic has been his QO and some injuries. POJ has also lost some friends in the organization, I think it's fair to say his development hasn't been what a lot of people thought it would be after his first stint in the NHL. He also is a LHD which isn't a huge need and this team can't be trading away pieces and not addressing their needs. It would be a straight up loss.

There is just a ton of nonsense in here, good lord.

1. Kapanen "wasn't successful" on a scoring line on both teams? He paced for 60 points last year with the Penguins and has a 46 point pace per 82 games since getting promoted to a top-9 forward in 2018-2019. Pretty much all of that production was at ES as well.
2. Kapanen was a top tier PKer for Toronto, him not PKing in Pittsburgh (which is much more due to Mike Sullivan) doesn't mean that he isn't a better PKer than Boeser. That's a nonsense comment.
3, Boeser has outproduced Kapanen solely because of powerplay points and powerplay production. Boeser is an absolutely dynamic powerplay player, which is why he's a better player and more valuable than Kapanen, but that is where the entire difference in their production comes from. They're equal ES producers.

I'm not even going to bother going on because there's just so much wrong here. Kapanen "didn't deserve PP time" because he played on teams with Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and Rust? Good lord.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Kapanen is a fine player. Boeser is 6 months younger, and a much better player. As the main return in a trade for Boeser, Kapanen would be atrocious.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
So maybe similar to Tyler Motte but with a bit more to offer offensively?
It's the offensively part that may be an issue. Again, only speaking to his time in TO....his speed created loads of chances, he just didn't have the finish to capitalize on them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kapanen is a fine player. Boeser is 6 months younger, and a much better player. As the main return in a trade for Boeser, Kapanen would be atrocious.

Tbh I think you're wildly overestimating the caliber of player/prospect a team would give up for Boeser, unless the Canucks are adding or it's a pure 1 for 1 hockey trade

Boeser is a level up from the Toffoli/Zucker/Brassard/Miller pre-Vancouver level, but not that much above. His value is probably that of what Zucker brought back (1st and Addison) plus another B prospect or a decent young NHLer. You're not getting say a Marino or Tuch as a centerpiece for Boeser unless the deal is pretty close to Tuch or Marino for Boeser straight up.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
There is just a ton of nonsense in here, good lord.

1. Kapanen "wasn't successful" on a scoring line on both teams? He paced for 60 points last year with the Penguins and has a 46 point pace per 82 games since getting promoted to a top-9 forward in 2018-2019. Pretty much all of that production was at ES as well.
2. Kapanen was a top tier PKer for Toronto, him not PKing in Pittsburgh (which is much more due to Mike Sullivan) doesn't mean that he isn't a better PKer than Boeser. That's a nonsense comment.
3, Boeser has outproduced Kapanen solely because of powerplay points and powerplay production. Boeser is an absolutely dynamic powerplay player, which is why he's a better player and more valuable than Kapanen, but that is where the entire difference in their production comes from. They're equal ES producers.

I'm not even going to bother going on because there's just so much wrong here. Kapanen "didn't deserve PP time" because he played on teams with Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and Rust? Good lord.

Kap plays 15 minutes a night on a team that would love to add another top 6 winger - if he was as good as Boeser 5v5 he would be the option......No?
Boeser last season paced for 34 goals 72 points and has a career average paced at 62 per 82 games. There is more than 1 PP unit on each team, and if you produce on the PP you get to play there even in Toronto or Pittsburg.

If a player is producing they get the opportunity. It's the reason guys like Kane get second and third chances - they produce.

I have also been reading a lot from Pitt regarding Kaps effort level and his give a s**t meter and he has been openly criticized by management, fans and media. I do not have interest in Kap as a major piece for Boeser. You would think Rutherford would be happy to free himself from the previous poor trade he made to bring Kap back to Pitt - but maybe not.

Reactions: Szechwan

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
As a Vancouver fan I happen to really like Kapanen, definitely has speed, would not hate Kapanen plus a first for Boeser. Obviously more of a role player vs a top 6 player, but good role players are valuable also. Admittedly, he's not having the best year, but I liked what I saw of him in previous years, and he may be cheaper to extend as a result.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone talking about a huge gap between Kap and Boeser is ignoring the QO and ES production

There is a value gap, just not a huge one, think a first is pretty reasonable

I believe that gap is closed with POJ. I would rather keep the 1st. If the 1st is going out, it needs to be part of a larger deal with a few more swaps.

Kapanen to Vancouver is basically an annoying meme at this point. If we're moving Boeser, Kapanen is essentially a cap dump more then an asset to us. Two of Joseph, Poulin or Pittsburgh's first for Boeser, fully retained if that helps, is the kind of deal I'd push for, assuming we don't have another dance partner for Boeser.

This is just ignorant dude.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

In a flat cap environment, contracts matter as much as player quality to a reasonable extent. Hagel and Texier and underpaid and have term. Kapanen is ~fairly paid and does not.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Since Boeser was allegedly a Kings/Rob Blake target, I'm interested to see the price if he winds up getting dealt. I'm guessing it will be too high to make sense for the Kings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kap plays 15 minutes a night on a team that would love to add another top 6 winger - if he was as good as Boeser 5v5 he would be the option......No?
Boeser last season paced for 34 goals 72 points and has a career average paced at 62 per 82 games. There is more than 1 PP unit on each team, and if you produce on the PP you get to play there even in Toronto or Pittsburg.

If a player is producing they get the opportunity. It's the reason guys like Kane get second and third chances - they produce.

I have also been reading a lot from Pitt regarding Kaps effort level and his give a s**t meter and he has been openly criticized by management, fans and media. I do not have interest in Kap as a major piece for Boeser. You would think Rutherford would be happy to free himself from the previous poor trade he made to bring Kap back to Pitt - but maybe not.

Kapanen is a top-6 forward for the Penguins.

You're mentioning that Boeser paced for 34 goals and 72 points last year while not mentioning that Kapanen paced for 22 goals and 60 points last year. Boeser is more valuable because he's an elite powerplay player, but I don't get why you're trying to talk down on Kapanen and prop up Boeser. Kapanen's a 45 point middle-6 forward while Boeser is a 60 point top-6 forward. The difference between those in terms of trade value is probably just a 1st or equivalent player/prospect.

In a flat cap environment, contracts matter as much as player quality to a reasonable extent. Hagel and Texier and underpaid and have term. Kapanen is ~fairly paid and does not.

I'm referring to people who say Kapanen sucks. You can debate on what Kapanen's value is, but you can't reasonably try to argue that Kapanen is a bad player while saying that guys like Hagel and Texier are so good that they're worth 1st rounders. It's a nonsensical opinion to have.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Kap is super athletic he just needs to play more direct in the offensive zone.

With a fresh start I think he can be a valuable middle sixer with elite wheels, some production and some special teams value.

He doesn’t suck nor is he going to ever be some superstar. The nice thing about his tough season for whoever gets him is that he’ll be cheap as hell to re-sign.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hope the pens get Boeser for kappy and a late first, because it would be terrible for Vancouver.
We're not dealing our first. I could see POJ being included though, JR likes him. I'd still want Schenn so we'd likely have to add yet another asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad