Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
One gets the feeling that nothing he does this year down there matters. He was, probably, the real MVP of that level last year. Nowhere to go but down. He repeats his performance, okay. He regresses, too bad. He can't really improve.

Maybe it's for the academics. Otherwise, you shouldn't stay at a level where you're the best player.
He said he wanted to play another season at the NCAA level to experience the high level of expectations and the pressure that comes with it. Having won the Richter and been a Hobey Baker finalist the expectations for him are through the roof, have to admire a kid who wants to put himself into that type of situation to see if he can handle the pressure.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He said he wanted to play another season at the NCAA level to experience the high level of expectations and the pressure that comes with it. Having won the Richter and been a Hobey Baker finalist the expectations for him are through the roof, have to admire a kid who wants to put himself into that type of situation to see if he can handle the pressure.
I can't imagine any of these players thinking that they can't improve. Levi in particular seems like he's on a mission to continually improve and that's probably a big part of his decision to stay another year. It may look excessive but I bet his transition will be smoother than average.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
IDK, going back to a level you've already dominated doesn't seem like inviting pressure. It's going to be pressure when he's at a level where he needs to grow to compete. Is anyone seriously looking over his shoulder expecting him to pitch a .975? And would it matter if he did? My sense is no to both those questions.

Out here in the local rinks, guys who play at C level when they could be playing at B or A level aren't inviting pressure. They're just enjoying beating up on lesser competition. And how good they get at beating up C level players doesn't really mean anything for whether they'll be able to do any of the same tricks against the next level of player. They could be potting a lazy hattrick every night relying on tricks that get shut down immediately the next level up. You have to go where you're challenged if you want to see growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: hizzoner

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
IDK, going back to a level you've already dominated doesn't seem like inviting pressure. It's going to be pressure when he's at a level where he needs to grow to compete. Is anyone seriously looking over his shoulder expecting him to pitch a .975? And would it matter if he did? My sense is no to both those questions.
There is definitely pressure there. When your team has national title aspirations, that pressure can be both from the fans as well as from Levi himself. In addition to that there is no reason to believe he can't still become a better goaltender playing at that level for another season even if he doesn't match or exceed last years numbers.

Connor Hellebuyck posted a 1.37 GAA and a .952 save % his rookie season in the NCAA, he still went back for another year where he posted a 1.78 GAA and a .941 save %. Did that hurt his development? no.

Jake Oettinger posted a 2.11 GAA and a .927 save % his rookie season in the NCAA, he went back for 2 more seasons where he posted a 2.45, and 2.45 GAA along with a .915 and .926 save %'s. Again this did not hurt his development.

There's nothing wrong with him playing another season down there at all. Plenty of goalies have played multiple NCAA seasons before turning pro. Let's not forget he wasn't able to play in his actual freshman season so this is only his 2nd actual playing season in the NCAA.

Helley - 2 seasons, Oettinger - 3 seasons, Demko - 3 seasons, Swayman - 3 seasons, and Knight - 2 seasons. All of these more recent NHL goalies played multiple NCAA seasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Out here in the local rinks, guys who play at C level when they could be playing at B or A level aren't inviting pressure. They're just enjoying beating up on lesser competition. And how good they get at beating up C level players doesn't really mean anything for whether they'll be able to do any of the same tricks against the next level of player. They could be potting a lazy hattrick every night relying on tricks that get shut down immediately the next level up. You have to go where you're challenged if you want to see growth.

Levi stayed in AAA another year as well - it's his process and so far it has worked really well for him to be doing what he's done at the U20 and NCAA levels. If it works for him, why change it?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Airports, buses, school's, and college campuses probably not the best places to stay away from Covid right now. Hopefully he has no long term effect and gets boosted.

My campus is actually improving vastly. At the beginning of the semester, I got an e-mail daily saying that one (or more) of my students tested positive. Haven't gotten one in 6 weeks.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
My campus is actually improving vastly. At the beginning of the semester, I got an e-mail daily saying that one (or more) of my students tested positive. Haven't gotten one in 6 weeks.
Testing and reporting is down and ignoring is up. But good to hear. Our neighbor is a nurse, triple vaxxed, and in isolation this week (as is the head of the cdc) to protect her co workers and family. Gladly her symptoms are just mild.

She mentioned RSV at Children's is pretty high right now.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Hmmm, my experience *was* similar...cases were way down, and SDSU relaxed the mask requirement two weeks ago. But then last week I gave a midterm exam and suddenly there were 18 students "too sick" to sit for the exam.

Weird how Covid spikes like that 🤷

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Most campus' stopped testing/stopped communicating cases based on states rolling back public health reporting and measures. My state tracks viral load in wastewater, and I find that the most accurate 'picture' of where cases are.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
GREAT NEWS from Devon's Mom

dev.png

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
One gets the feeling that nothing he does this year down there matters. He was, probably, the real MVP of that level last year. Nowhere to go but down. He repeats his performance, okay. He regresses, too bad. He can't really improve.

Maybe it's for the academics. Otherwise, you shouldn't stay at a level where you're the best player.
That's probably part of the reason he returned. Puts him a year closer to a degree.

He's a computer science major. Pure jocks favor lightweight programs like "sports management".

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
That's probably part of the reason he returned. Puts him a year closer to a degree.

He's a computer science major. Pure jocks favor lightweight programs like "sports management".
These guys are one injury away from becoming insurance salesmen or real estate agents if they haven’t gotten a big payday yet.

Although you have to think a smart guy could see the earning potential by jumping and know they can always go back and finish the degree later.

Reactions: Husko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad