Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

4. Devon Levi, Sabres 🐏

cropped_GettyImages-1482210738.jpg
Kevin Hoffman / Getty Images Sport / Getty
GP (NHL)SV%GAADRAFTED
7.9052.947th round (2020)
The future is now with Levi in the Sabres' crease.

The 21-year-old netminder is projected to be Buffalo's No. 1 starter in 2023-24. If his brief preview last season is any indication, that is very, very good news for the Sabres. Buffalo heavily relied on Levi with the team in the throes of a tight wild-card race, and he went 5-2-0 while saving 0.7 goals above average and 3.69 goals above expected at all strengths. The latter clip ranked 11th overall in the league since his debut March 31.

Speaking of his NHL debut, Levi showed off his characteristic poise and athleticism en route to a dazzling 31-save effort in a 3-2 overtime victory against the New York Rangers. The hype surrounding him is real, as evidenced by the raucous "Levi" chants that rained down from the KeyBank Center throughout his first NHL game.

The opportunity for Levi to be the guy in Buffalo is there. The Sabres didn't add another goalie in the offseason, meaning he'll just have to compete with Eric Comrie and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. There'll be plenty more "Levi" choruses to come if he can give Buffalo some much-needed stability in the blue paint.

Reactions: Dingo44

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I couldn’t watch the game - how did the wonder boy do?
could maybe fault him on the first with a rebound that went left, that was passed across to his right (with no defense covering).
2 deflections - one off the inside of the post and in. Sabres hit the post once and the crossbar once. NY made theirs count.
eh. first game of a night where expectations ran really high. I expect him to settle in shortly.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I still don't understand why the Sabres are rushing Levi? I get it they need better goaltending but putting Levi in the NHL isnt the best thing for his long term development. A season or two in the AHL is the better path for 99.9999% of goalies and yet they put him in the NHL? His numbers at Northeastern were great but they play in a very goalie friendly system. Like most prospects he would benefit from a year in the AHL.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I still don't understand why the Sabres are rushing Levi? I get it they need better goaltending but putting Levi in the NHL isnt the best thing for his long term development. A season or two in the AHL is the better path for 99.9999% of goalies and yet they put him in the NHL? His numbers at Northeastern were great but they play in a very goalie friendly system. Like most prospects he would benefit from a year in the AHL.
I'm with you. Has never made sense to me.

Reactions: Fjordy

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

If High Danger Chances for and against continue like this, Levi is not going to be able to carry this team anywhere.

Levi wasn't great. He also wasn't the reason they lost.

It’s easy to agree with that, but it also seems that Granato’s game plan is to hang the kid out to dry while scoring 5 goals. Levi has to be better than he was last night or Donny is going to need to adjust that approach.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It’s easy to agree with that, but it also seems that Granato’s game plan is to hang the kid out to dry while scoring 5 goals. Levi has to be better than he was last night or Donny is going to need to adjust that approach.
Donny needs to adjust regardless since I'm not sure we'll ever be able to find a goalie who can make the team look decent playing like they did.

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
I agree with the rest that he looked quite average. I don't want to rush him either. I would hate to see Levi go down the path like Knight did.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I agree with the rest that he looked quite average. I don't want to rush him either. I would hate to see Levi go down the path like Knight did.

Who is the rest? One poster? Maybe two? I haven't seen large numbers of posts calling him average. He was quite good last night and one goal came from an unfortunate bounce for the Sabres and the other was a desperate scramble in front with Hagel having too many uncontested chances to poke at the puck.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT and HOOats

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Levi is 1-2 with a 3.00GAA and a .893 is below average but go on.
Have you been watching, or are you just going to quote stats over a 3 game sample size?

When the Sabres haven’t been kicking the puck into their own net or leaving the back door wide open for a tap-in he’s been pretty good.

He was 10 seconds away from posting a .950 save percentage last night.

EDIT: Darn it, I took the bait.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Levi being an average NHL goalie is something this team has not had since the Nolan years

Too many posters think AVERAGE equals BAD. Average is roughly middle of the pack. The fact that Levi is an average NHL goalie at his age speaks profoundly as to how good he is

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I have probably seen Levi play more games than all you guys combined. He should be in the AHL for a season or two and instead is being rushed and I don't see the reasoning why.

If you want to be factual he is below average in his 10 games with a 2.95GAA and a .901 save %. He isnt average this season either - he is 35th in save percentage.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I have probably seen Levi play more games than all you guys combined. He should be in the AHL for a season or two and instead is being rushed and I don't see the reasoning why.

If you want to be factual he is below average in his 10 games with a 2.95GAA and a .901 save %. He isnt average this season either - he is 35th in save percentage.
That’s hardly the worst problem. Tage Thompson is tied for dead last in the NHL in scoring. If Jost wasn’t picking up the slack with a point per game pace we’d be f***ed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

The reasoning why is because he said he would stay in school if they didn’t give him a fair shake to win the starter job. He is literally the best of the options so here we are. Believe Friedman said that a couple weeks ago on the pod.

Shouldn’t be this way, I agree. But it is.
podcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad