Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I have probably seen Levi play more games than all you guys combined. He should be in the AHL for a season or two and instead is being rushed and I don't see the reasoning why.

If you want to be factual he is below average in his 10 games with a 2.95GAA and a .901 save %. He isnt average this season either - he is 35th in save percentage.

That's cool. Glad you were able to see him.

I think us Sabre fans can worry about our goaltending and the Bruins fans can worry about their center depth on their own boards. I've never gone there and posted even about players I watched in person for two years with the NTDP (like John Beecher) and I wouldn't think of doing it either.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
If you want to be factual he is below average in his 10 games with a 2.95GAA and a .901 save %. He isnt average this season either - he is 35th in save percentage.

If you want to be "factual" (which is I guess your attempt to make it seem like it's reasonable to extrapolate anything from a 3 game sample size) let's look at him relative to players with the same sample size this season, to elminate one hit wonders as it were in either direction.

Of the 12 goalies who have played 3 games, his GAA ranks 7th and save percentage ranks 8th. His GAA .004 and his SP is .005 behind Markstrom, who is 6th on both lists and thus techically "above average" (ordinally at least). Given the slightness of those deviations it's safe to say he's comfortably in that average range for techincally comparable goaltenders.

To further point out the inanity of trying to extrapolate via these sample sizes, notice that his save percentage and GAA are better than 2 other notable goalies who have played 3 games this season: Saros who has .887 SP and 3.41 GAA, and Hellybuck who has a .883 SP and 4.38 GAA. Guess those guys clearly need to be in the minors too /s.

Furthermore, his numbers don't really need to look like any those of other goalies to be a positive for Buffalo, especially when most teams aren't likely to score at the rate we can reasobaly expect the Sabres to, and several of those teams play much more goalie friendly systems. Consistently in the ballpark of average would be a notable improvement.

I would have made some different choices if I were GM in terms of goalie support, but Levi has been far from a problem thus far this year.

And, please, get out of here with that garbage about seeing more Levi than all of us combined. Look through the thread, there were plenty of people on this board that regularly watched his games.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I have probably seen Levi play more games than all you guys combined. He should be in the AHL for a season or two and instead is being rushed and I don't see the reasoning why.

Factual? That’s a funny way to spell disingenuous.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If you want to be "factual" (which is I guess your attempt to make it seem like it's reasonable to extrapolate anything from a 3 game sample size) let's look at him relative to players with the same sample size this season, to elminate one hit wonders as it were in either direction.

Of the 12 goalies who have played 3 games, his GAA ranks 7th and save percentage ranks 8th. His GAA .004 and his SP is .005 behind Markstrom, who is 6th on both lists and thus techically "above average" (ordinally at least). Given the slightness of those deviations it's safe to say he's comfortably in that average range for techincally comparable goaltenders.

To further point out the inanity of trying to extrapolate via these sample sizes, notice that his save percentage and GAA are better than 2 other notable goalies who have played 3 games this season: Saros who has .887 SP and 3.41 GAA, and Hellybuck who has a .883 SP and 4.38 GAA. Guess those guys clearly need to be in the minors too /s.

Furthermore, his numbers don't really need to look like any those of other goalies to be a positive for Buffalo, especially when most teams aren't likely to score at the rate we can reasobaly expect the Sabres to, and several of those teams play much more goalie friendly systems. Consistently in the ballpark of average would be a notable improvement.

I would have made some different choices if I were GM in terms of goalie support, but Levi has been far from a problem thus far this year.

And, please, get out of here with that garbage about seeing more Levi than all of us combined. Look through the thread, there were plenty of people on this board that regularly watched his games.

I have never said Levi is the problem. My point is he is a prospect and based on my evaluations and seeing him play in over 50+ games in person I would say he should be in the AHL to improve his game and learn the pro game. His stats at Northeastern which many base his status is on is inflated - they play a very conducive structure for goalies:

During Levi's time when he missed for the Olympics his backup played at NU:

Backup goalie stats: 8GP, 2.05GAA and a .934.

Goalie prior to Levi arriving at NU:
34GP, 1.92GAA and .931
36GP, 2.09GAA and .933

New Goalie this season after Levi left NU:
2GP, 1.01GAA and .941.

Rush him all you want but the proven and better development plan is for him to be in the AHL.

Reactions: sabresEH

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State

Thank heavens our betters are here to inform us lowly Sabres fans about Sabres players.

Levi will be just fine. Thanks for your "concern".

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I have never said Levi is the problem. My point is he is a prospect and based on my evaluations and seeing him play in over 50+ games in person I would say he should be in the AHL to improve his game and learn the pro game. His stats at Northeastern which many base his status is on is inflated - they play a very conducive structure for goalies:

34GP, 1.92GAA and .931
36GP, 2.09GAA and .933

2GP, 1.01GAA and .941.

Rush him all you want but the proven and better development plan is for him to be in the AHL.
Dude, you apparently don't understand that we don't have a better goalie than him. It makes sense for him to spend the season in the AHL, but our other two goalies are even worse, inexperienced, inconsistent, and were burned last season. Levi came last season and gave some hope while Comrie and UPL sat with stats of 88-89%. Levi has played three games this season and had a good game vs Islanders.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Dude, you apparently don't understand that we don't have a better goalie than him. It makes sense for him to spend the season in the AHL, but our other two goalies are even worse, inexperienced, inconsistent, and were burned last season. Levi came last season and gave some hope while Comrie and UPL sat with stats of 88-89%. Levi has played three games this season and had a good game vs Islanders.
Guess who has stats in the 88-89% this season? Why not play Comrie and UPL and let Levi develop? You are getting the same performance level is my point.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State

34GP, 1.92GAA and .931
36GP, 2.09GAA and .933

2GP, 1.01GAA and .941.

Little disingenuous here aren't you?

I noticed you didn't put years or names to your goalie examples, so I will.

34GP, 1.92GAA and .931 Cayden Primeau 2017-18
36GP, 2.09GAA and .933 Cayden Primeau 2018-19

That leaves a two year gap that you willfully omitted:

34GP, 2.50GAA and .915 Craig Pantano 2019-20
21GP, 2.72GAA and .910 Connor Murphy 2020-21

Not bad numbers, to be sure, but they didn't support your claims so you left them out.

Then you site a 2 game sample for the new goalie, Cameron Whitehead.

Cayden Primeau has 21 games of NHL experience with a 4.11 GAA and a .871 SVP. He's followed the AHL path you are clamoring for Levi to take, why hasn't he seen better results than Levi?

Could it be that maybe, just maybe, Levi is the better goaltender and can handle the NHL level?

Time will tell.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Guess who has stats in the 88-89% this season? Why not play Comrie and UPL and let Levi develop? You are getting the same performance level is my point.
This is just not true. Levi was better than them in the games he played last season. Also, he was good last game. Let's see if he can build on it before throwing labels around based on a 3-game sample size. Prior seasons be damned.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

The reasoning why is that he is far and away the best goalie we have, and we need him playing NHL hockey right now if he’s up to it. He’s showing that he’s up to it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Levi's only real issue is adapting to increased speed of everything. This is evident with his less than stellar rebound control. Other than that, he has looked great.

Sample size. 4 goals against in one game is going to skew his stats with so few games.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Levi's only real issue is adapting to increased speed of everything. This is evident with his less than stellar rebound control. Other than that, he has looked great.

Sample size. 4 goals against in one game is going to skew his stats with so few games.
His rebound control was very on point against the Bolts, even the ESPN crew pointed out how he was swallowing everything up.

• Haha
Reactions: Dingo44 and HOOats

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Levi’s “problem” is that he has active feet. So any shot that hits his pads gets kicked out in front of him. It makes it easier to cover it after a shot. The unfortunate thing is that it also is easier to give up too big of a rebound. That can be fixed with a bit softer of a pad though.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This is all going to look very silly after he wins the Vezina, Hart, Calder and Conn Smythe this year.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Levi’s “problem” is that he has active feet. So any shot that hits his pads gets kicked out in front of him. It makes it easier to cover it after a shot. The unfortunate thing is that it also is easier to give up too big of a rebound. That can be fixed with a bit softer of a pad though.
These "problems" are usually fixed and improved upon in the AHL. That's where you refine and tune up your skill set - instead he is going to have to play NHL games as an unfinished project. Thus my point that I am not sure what Buffalo mgt is thinking.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The recent trend amongst NHL goalies and goalie coaches is to have pads that give you "hot" rebounds and not leave pucks lying around close to the net.

It started with Lundqvist and the Bauer OD1N project. I doubt you see too many goalies, especially younger goalies like Levi, that will want softer pads and duller rebounds off their pads.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The recent trend amongst NHL goalies and goalie coaches is to have pads that give you "hot" rebounds and not leave pucks lying around close to the net.

It started with Lundqvist and the Bauer OD1N project. I doubt you see too many goalies, especially younger goalies like Levi, that will want softer pads and duller rebounds off their pads.

I'm not saying completely change it up. like instead of pads that are at 100/100 hardness (giggity), I mean switch it up so they're 95/100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad