Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Dougie is going nowhere. Has a NMC and submits a 10 team trade list starting 2025-26. Going to be very difficult to trade his last few seasons.

Fair, it's not an issue right now but once Nemec becomes fully developed imo. Having 14M+ in Pesce and Hamliton is gonna hurt I feel

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember bitching and complaining about us having Dean McAmmond back like over a decade ago because he was 'too old' and was 33 when we got him.

I'm 35 now lmfao
Dean McAmmond was actually even older than that when we got him. He was 36.

But we did have him for a year in the AHL during the full lockout year. He was 31 then,

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
2.5 year difference. Pesce has a down but still better year than Marino and he’s “already declining”. And Marino has a disaster year and will rebound?

I’m not even in love with this potential swap but that just seems like a bit much. I really don’t think management bothers doing all this unless they have some really strong evidence that the fit is much better for what they’re trying to do.
I remember when EDM said they had really strong evidence that Kris Russell was one of the top breakout passers in the NHL. Management groups can make mistakes, or mistakenly believe something.

I think Pesce will be solid in his first couple seasons in NJ. But Canes fans have already noticed a decline in mobility, and he isn't the fastest guy to begin with. I am very concerned with having two very expensive defensemen in their 30s (the other being Dougie), who are already not the fleetest of foot, and have some already visible risk factors. If the mobility on either or both of them ticks down further, they could become albatrosses pretty quickly.

Yes. 2.5 years is a big difference when dealing with NHLers entering the back halves of their careers.

Marino in 2022-23 was absolutely sublime. If that version were to return, that is the superior player - and one that is younger and cheaper. I'd rather bank on that.

A bigger issue is that I'm seeing Keefe have a pretty big influence on the roster construction - these are the types of moves he publicly and privately lobbied Dubas to make. It ended up with the Leafs becoming anemic offensively, despite the weapons at his disposal. I don't want the Devils to go that way.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't have any faith in Marino come playoff time, so I'm fine moving on there. Pesce is much more battle tested under the bright lights. We'll be better off for sure if we can get him locked down.
Why? Marino was great in the 2022-23 playoffs for them. It's kind of a bizarre thing to suddenly believe.

There's some red flags with Pesce that I've outlined. Getting older and more expensive, when you're not getting a vastly better player, isn't ideal.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
You have to wonder why two franchises have given up on Marino now.

I remember bitching and complaining about us having Dean McAmmond back like over a decade ago because he was 'too old' and was 33 when we got him.

I'm 35 now lmfao

For me, it's when @Bleedred does his oldest NHL players lists.

Makes me feel old as f*** when I would now be in the top 10.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

For me, it's when @Bleedred does his oldest NHL players lists.

Makes me feel old as f*** when I would now be in the top 10.
My oldest son would likely be negotiating his UFA deal this season. Try being that old.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

It is at least somewhat explainable in both cases. Pittsburgh needed to shed some cap space in order to re-sign Malkin and Letang. I think people were surprised Hextall chose Marino, but his track record in Pittsburgh for player moves was hilariously awful. I feel like he was sabotaging them on purpose. :laugh:

And in our case, I think it's clear we went in the direction of wanting a heavier, tougher defense to play against. And bless Marino, I like him a lot, but he was weak positionally and I would see him get beat to loose pucks on the inside far too often.

He's a solid player and I'm sure Utah will be a good spot for him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I remember when EDM said they had really strong evidence that Kris Russell was one of the top breakout passers in the NHL. Management groups can make mistakes, or mistakenly believe something.

I think Pesce will be solid in his first couple seasons in NJ. But Canes fans have already noticed a decline in mobility, and he isn't the fastest guy to begin with. I am very concerned with having two very expensive defensemen in their 30s (the other being Dougie), who are already not the fleetest of foot, and have some already visible risk factors. If the mobility on either or both of them ticks down further, they could become albatrosses pretty quickly.

Yes. 2.5 years is a big difference when dealing with NHLers entering the back halves of their careers.

Marino in 2022-23 was absolutely sublime. If that version were to return, that is the superior player - and one that is younger and cheaper. I'd rather bank on that.

A bigger issue is that I'm seeing Keefe have a pretty big influence on the roster construction - these are the types of moves he publicly and privately lobbied Dubas to make. It ended up with the Leafs becoming anemic offensively, despite the weapons at his disposal. I don't want the Devils to go that way.
I trust them. And Pesce is better than Marino offensively on most public models.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Bunch of AGE-ISTS around here. Im 34, I bet you all think I should be in a nursing home.

No, not a nursing home.

IMG_8224.jpeg

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I was worried about Pesce and Hamilton when I thought the money would be much more. I was expecting Severson money and Severson term. 7x7 type shit. 5.5x6 is more than fine.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Even if we get Dillon / Pesce I'm not sure if we are significantly better, and what happens if one guy goes down?

Well we got both. And maybe the answer to that (specifically for the RD position) is Casey: he's now 20 and may be ready to start testing some NHL ice this season, much like Luke did at the very end of his D+2 (and probably would have sooner if needed).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00