Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Definitely mixed bag thoughts on this. Giving up on Marino has to mean we are getting an upgrade.

If we don't by seasons start, this will be a total fail. Marino was a hell of a d man in our record season. This year was probably an anomaly.
Yeah at this point after trading Marino and Bahl, I'll be disappointed if we don't get Pesce and Dillon. And still dreading the contracts both get.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It was always gonna be Siegs or Marino gone, maybe their thought process is a healthy Dougie can shield Siegs better than a young Luke bringing back Marino to his 22-23 self. I can understand the logic with Marino gone but I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't think he'd bounce back under Keefe

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Doesn't matter what the relative value is.

If you bought your house 2 years ago and sold it for more today based on what you paid while the market value is higher...

Let me know when you plan on selling your house.

Reactions: My3Sons

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Yeah at this point after trading Marino and Bahl, I'll be disappointed if we don't get Pesce and Dillon. And still dreading the contracts both get.

We were weak on D and we just got weaker. So an upgrade HAS to happen. I can't see us succeeding next season if we don't get a "Pesce" and someone else....

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The value is fine and we need to make spots for Pesce and Dillon. Fitz wouldnt trade Marino if we were not gonna have a good chance to get them.

Also like the big nhl media have said, the majority of the big names already have agreements to sign with teams for free agency

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well people talked themselves into thinking Marino would be dealt in a 'hockey trade' for a forward when the draft pick haul was clearly the far more likely outcome of this.

There's not a lot of room around the league for adding a guy at Marino's salary without subtraction, and the teams that can do it probably have no reason to trade picks for a 2nd pairing D - like, sure, San Jose can fit Marino in, but why would they? Utah is the team that makes the most sense.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I remember hearing the same shit when I bitched about the Palat deal. It’s so very smart to sign a guy who’ll be 30 long term at a sizable number who might already be you’re 3RD and if not already will certainly be by the following year. Just brilliant work.
Whos passing Pesce for 2RD? Sure hope you dont mean Seamus Casey cause that boy is never touching ice as a Devil lol

Nemec will be top pair and Dougie will likely be the first one on the third pair, since he aint defending for a Luke

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Heartless like Vegas, and for Pesce!?! I don’t like it but I get it I guess.
How is it heartless, other than dealing him before the NTC I suppose? We didn't sign him to his current contract and we traded him after two years. If he didn't want to get traded maybe he should have been one of the ones who wasn't clearly underachieving last year.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Doesn't matter what the relative value is.

If you bought your house 2 years ago and sold it for more today based on what you paid while the market value is higher...

Let me know when you plan on selling your house.

A bust + 2nd round pick for four years of Marino < 2 2nd round picks for two years of Marino.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Devilsfan118

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's not a lot of room around the league for adding a guy at Marino's salary without subtraction, and the teams that can do it probably have no reason to trade picks for a 2nd pairing D - like, sure, San Jose can fit Marino in, but why would they? Utah is the team that makes the most sense.
Eh Marino's contract isn't THAT prohibitive before all the silly money gets spent in UFA, especially pre-NTC kicking in.

Reactions: My3Sons and Blender

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
How is it heartless, other than dealing him before the NTC I suppose? We didn't sign him to his current contract and we traded him after two years. If he didn't want to get traded maybe he should have been one of the ones who wasn't clearly underachieving last year.
I didn’t even know about the NTC kicking in. That makes it worse. Just dumping a guy cause there is someone better willing to sign in NJ. He had a bad year, I get it, that’s the gig, it’s a cold league.

Thank goodness Gaudreau passed on NJ, that would have set this team back cause they would have likely traded Bratt for draft picks or whatever if that happened I think.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I didn’t even know about the NTC kicking in. That makes it worse. Just dumping a guy cause there is someone better willing to sign in NJ. He had a bad year, I get it, that’s the gig, it’s a cold league.

Thank goodness Gaudreau passed on NJ, that would have set this team back cause they would have likely traded Bratt for draft picks or whatever if that happened I think.
Yeah I mean I didn't dislike Marino but after what happened last season I'm not all that attached to like 85% of this roster at this point. It was one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history and that's not an exaggeration. So I can't blame Fitz for wanting to make big changes. At what cost and whether they work out is another kettle of fish.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for one of the better rushes in Devils history, Johnny. Best of luck in Utah

Yeah I mean I didn't dislike Marino but after what happened last season I'm not all that attached to like 85% of this roster at this point. It was one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history and that's not an exaggeration. So I can't blame Fitz for wanting to make big changes. At what cost and whether they work out is another kettle of fish.

It was Siegs or Marino getting traded, they just drafted Siegs replacement last night and probably think Dougie can get Siegs head out of his ass while it's too much to ask Luke to carry Marino like 22-23 Graves did defensively because Graves and Luke are obviously different type of defenders

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00