Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
That is an excellent mindset for a contender...Someone chasing a cup, someone looking to get to the next level...That is why we move a Souray for a Malakhov or a Morrision for a Mogilny...

It is not what a team does while rebuilding.

We should be stockpiling right now. We should developing our own assets and grooming them into established NHL players.

Fair enough, I just can't blanket rule anything out though.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I wasn't speaking as a proponent of Kessel, merely stating that many of the same people who are against acquiring him are in favor of Richards. And as far as Kessel's "intangibles", he was a 21-year old cancer survivor when he was traded for a king's ransom. I'd hardly call that being a bad teammate, and even if he was at that time, he was freaking 19-21.

And as for Toronto this past year? Please. Absolute definition of gong show. I don't know how any player can be held accountable for their performance.

The only question regarding Kessel is going to be whether or not his expected production/team benefit will justify whatever costs it takes to acquire/pay his salary. I think that if the cost is low enough he would be worth taking a shot at.

I certainly would not give #6 and the best they could hope for is a 2 round pick and a young player. I think most teams feel the same way. He just makes too much damn money to justify the trading of major assets to acquire.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I wasn't speaking as a proponent of Kessel, merely stating that many of the same people who are against acquiring him are in favor of Richards. And as far as Kessel's "intangibles", he was a 21-year old cancer survivor when he was traded for a king's ransom. I'd hardly call that being a bad teammate, and even if he was at that time, he was freaking 19-21.

And as for Toronto this past year? Please. Absolute definition of gong show. I don't know how any player can be held accountable for their performance.

The only question regarding Kessel is going to be whether or not his expected production/team benefit will justify whatever costs it takes to acquire/pay his salary. I think that if the cost is low enough he would be worth taking a shot at.

I certainly would not give #6 and the best they could hope for is a 2 round pick and a young player. I think most teams feel the same way. He just makes too much damn money to justify the trading of major assets to acquire.

Exactly and exactly. From what I've heard once they fired the coach the whole thing just went completely to $$%#. Basically the whole team is not worth trading for then.:sarcasm:

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ

To be fair, the people in favor of getting Richards are in favor of it because it's under the assumption we'd get the #13 pick out of taking on that contract. Not giving up valuable assets to take on a bad contract.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I don't care if kessel snorts coke off midgets dressed as clowns with mike ribiero after he gets home from games. That's Phil's time. I do care he can score goals, which helps us because nobody here besides calamari can. If he comes cheap, I support it. I don't give a **** about the money remaining, I'm not footing the bill. Plus, if it goes to pot, the situation not Phil actually going to get pot, then u trade him for something and wash ur hands of it. Who ****ing cares. He might work well with Gomez, or actually help zajac put up points. Now I'm not interested in going all out to get him, but I wouldn't care if we did. End of the day, we need more goals and he provides them. For now at least.

goawaygary*

Never bought into the hype myself (I'm not stupid), but that's what he was being marketed as in Toronto.

Remember Wendel Clarkson?

That team absolutely had direction. They just failed pretty embarrassingly. And Kessel is a big part of that.

He's coming.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
having two guys like Zajac and Kessel on our cap for the next 6-7 years would suck. It sucks right now because they dont change the team into a team that decently makes the playoffs and it will suck in the future when you need flexibility for roster moves and cap space. Getting Richards is justified by getting something the Devils sorely need and that's top flight prospect. For Kessel they have to give up a lot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The "leader" of this young group is 25-30 years old and currently playing for another team and will be acquired when the time is right. Greene is just a caretaker of this group, not a long term solution.

right, the guy who's 5 year extension hasn't even kicked in yet isn't a "longterm solution"

great analysis.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A few preseason games announced by Philly.

Wednesday, Sept. 30: vs. New Jersey, Wells Fargo Center, 7 pm.

Friday, Oct. 2, 2015: at New Jersey, Prudential Center, 7 p.m.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I guessing the Devils were only mentioned because of our lack of offense and Star power.

I dont believe at all the Shero or Lou (before Shero came aboard) even looked at Kessel.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
There's no way we're getting Richards AND their relatively high pick for a song just to help them with a problem. It's gonna come at a price. Depending, I'd pay it, but they're not gonna make it easy just for the **** of it.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I guess I'm being overly optimistic, but depending upon who we pick at #6 (Zacha, Rantanen, Crouse, Provorov, or Hanifin) I could see the player getting an extended look at training camp.

I am a firm believer that Rantanen, Crouse, and perhaps Zacha could start the season on the roster depending upon their training camp.

I don't think this is overly optimistic. It's pretty much guaranteed that the #6 will be in camp for the duration unless he is clearly just not ready. The thing they have to be careful about is not keeping him here unless he absolutely it demands skill-wise that he belongs. If he plays in 10 regular season games, then he burns a year of his entry level deal. 9 games is more than enough time to see if #6 belongs and he may not show in training camp that he even deserves that. If he plays less than 10, the contract slides to the next year so its basically an extra year under his ELC.

We're going to be bad this year. I don't think there's any other way to look at it from here. Sure surprises happen, but I wouldnt expect it. No sense burning that year on a bad team when he can develop more back in juniors unless his talent demands we keep him up.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
There's no way we're getting Richards AND their relatively high pick for a song just to help them with a problem. It's gonna come at a price. Depending, I'd pay it, but they're not gonna make it easy just for the **** of it.

Its happened before. We did it with Malakhov and San Jose. Thing is, they don't have much choice.

They have to find a team with cap space and willing to take on $20M for a player who may be done. That is a lot of money for 75% of all teams in this league (real money, not talking cap). Buying him out is a tough proposition for the Kings, who for all intents and purposes are still contending and 10 years of dead cap space will hurt.

They don't have a lot of options here. Its going to cost them to move Richards and there's not many trade partners that they match up well with. We're the ones who'd be making it easy for them. You think Anaheim or any other WC team wants to help the Kings out of a cap jam?

I look at a Richards/#13 deal as we're probably not going to be very good for 2 seasons and not spending to the cap during this time. That's 2 seasons off his bad contract and buying out 3 is a lot more palatable than 5. He's also got no clause of any sort so there's always a chance of being able to dump him again if necessary or also he re-finds his game and even gaining an asset down the road.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lombardi is not going to trade a top 15 pick in a deep draft just to get rid of Richards

he isn't a dummy. come on now.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Its happened before. We did it with Malakhov and San Jose. Thing is, they don't have much choice.

They have to find a team with cap space and willing to take on $20M for a player who may be done. That is a lot of money for 75% of all teams in this league (real money, not talking cap). Buying him out is a tough proposition for the Kings, who for all intents and purposes are still contending and 10 years of dead cap space will hurt.

They don't have a lot of options here. Its going to cost them to move Richards and there's not many trade partners that they match up well with. We're the ones who'd be making it easy for them. You think Anaheim or any other WC team wants to help the Kings out of a cap jam?

The past is the past. There's no way we are hornswaggling the kings. Expect Merrill to be asked for. I wouldn't pay it. Now some dead weight and a 2nd....sure. But I'm sure there are better deals for them to make than what we offer, if we offer at all. I'd love for it to happen but I just don't see it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
they have serious cap issues and they don't have a compliance buyout option. Getting rid of Richards helps them re-sign Toffoli and Sekera and since they are in win-now mode that's more important than a 1st round pick. The real question is if a team would actually be willing to take on that cap space and real money problems of Richards.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A few preseason games announced by Philly.

Wednesday, Sept. 30: vs. New Jersey, Wells Fargo Center, 7 pm.

Friday, Oct. 2, 2015: at New Jersey, Prudential Center, 7 p.m.

Ugh I have a bad feeling about this. If this season starts a week or two later than it should. :rant:

Did Philly announce other preseason games not against us? Have any teams yet? I'd like to know if any team has game around the 20th of September. That means the season will start when it usually does. If the first games aren't until the 25th of September or later. :rant:

I hate this long offseason, and the Stanley Cup Finals haven't even ended yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad