Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even though, they went on to finally win a couple of World Series, I rather have my team look like the Yankees than the Redsox. We have become a Country of slobs. People now go shopping in their pajamas and flipflops. Call me old fashion, I like dress codes and a minimum of facial hair, definitely not the Redsox beards.

I kind of feel the same way and I too, prefer a minimum of facial hair. I also find most men look better with a minimum of facial hair. But it's the ''Codes'' that I don't really like.

I never had a problem with Lou having that code, we've had so many guys stay here and who really like in New Jersey. We've also been able to attract guys with facial hair through UFA (or resigning Cory who seemed to always have at least some stubble or more in Vancouver), so it obviously wasn't bothering guys too much.

Speaking of goons, it might have kept us from ever signing the New Jersey native George Parros if anything. And although we've had goons who were even worse than him, that was probably a good thing that we never signed him. :laugh:

If I recall correctly, Kyle Palmieri had some facial hair on Anaheim, or at least occasionally he did? Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm just thinking he did because he also has the permanent five o clock shadow like me, where it looks like he hasn't shaved in a week or two if he only goes a few days without shaving.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
or its allowing the players to look however the hell they want since this isn't communist Russia

Everything Lou did was to try to make sure no player was above the team and all the players are equal. Players only had to worry about playing on the ice and no distractions outside of that.

That was Lou's idea behind the facial hair and I really like it. However, I don't think the no facial hair rule has the same impact the way Lou ran things then if it would've if Shero kept it. There's just something about Lou that the facial hair rule just made sense.

GhostofKenKlee

Personally I never felt one way or the other about the facial hair as a fan of two teams that don't allow it, the Yankees being the other.

Times have changed since the likes of Steinbrenner and Lou were in their heydays when being formal and well represented was a norm. Todays society has become more about having more individuality and being less rigid/structured than in the past, so in that regard, it would fit in with the changing times.

At the same time, it would also be nice to see a tradition that identifies with this organization continued on as many organizations whether in professional sports or not tend to have some things that they are identified with.

It is quite amusing though if this were to be changed going forward because the reason would not be to catch up with the times, rather changing just to be different than what was here previously as it has been done over and over here already.

Things did not end well here for a lot of people who are no longer with the organization, smaller term or larger term and much of the change has been done to wipe it in their faces because of how in control things previously were. I happened to be with a friend this weekend who worked with the team for a couple of decades and retired a few years back who mentioned how it was time for some changes to be made, but the way most of them were carried out were absolutely cowardly and classless.

Remember when IK17 got in trouble for not wearing a tie with his suit?

The Iron Curtain has fallen and dress codes and facial hair restriction as well as twitter ban are ole fashioned. Hell, players should also be advertising their tinders on devils for the ladies and puck bunnies. It's all about access at this point and the new way.

I agree on this new regime, but the overall group think here is anything the previous way has to go at any cost. We can read how refreshing it is.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Your avatar keeps throwing me off into thinking that Johnnyrocket has returned.

He had the old logo in his avatar too. :laugh:

Something happened with the one RG made for me years ago and I just picked this one off google images. One day the RG one was there, the next it was gone. I'll miss it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Everything Lou did was to try to make sure no player was above the team and all the players are equal. Players only had to worry about playing on the ice and no distractions outside of that.

That was Lou's idea behind the facial hair and I really like it. However, I don't think the no facial hair rule has the same impact the way Lou ran things then if it would've if Shero kept it. There's just something about Lou that the facial hair rule just made sense.

if you think a player wanting facial hair is a distraction then I don't know what to tell you

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Remember when IK17 got in trouble for not wearing a tie with his suit?

The Iron Curtain has fallen and dress codes and facial hair restriction as well as twitter ban are ole fashioned. Hell, players should also be advertising their tinders on devils for the ladies and puck bunnies. It's all about access at this point and the new way.

I agree on this new regime, but the overall group think here is anything the previous way has to go at any cost. We can read how refreshing it is.

That last statement isn't true. It's just your perception on things.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
if you think a player wanting facial hair is a distraction then I don't know what to tell you

It's a psychological idea. The idea is that everybody looks the same, individuality becomes irrelevant. You look at another player and he doesn't look different from you.

It was all part of Lou's way to make every player the same. No player is more important than the team -- each player is just another important piece of the puzzle. Reminds me a lot of what Lou said to Daneyko in his article.

Some people may not see that or agree with it, but it's a different philosophy. A lot of Lou's method's revolved around this idea.

If you breakdown just about every rule Lou had, it either had to do with keeping distractions away from the team or what I explained above.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The only thing about the facial hair is if everyone grows it out during the season it makes it less of a novelty when everyone grows it out during the playoffs.

ding! ding! ding! ding!

we have a winner!

ill agree with you.

////
still dont want high numbers and 3rds

too bad the 13 ball has already dropped

dont get me started on twitter……the world would be a better place without it

all things that set the team apart from other teams in the league

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's no different than any business wanting it's employees to look and act a certain way. I've worked at places that only allowed a certain amount of facial hair and I didn't feel like I was bring forced to work in communist Russia.

The funny thing is I haven't heard a single player complain about not being able to grow facial hair. It's fans, who it doesn't even affect, that complain about it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's no different than any business wanting it's employees to look and act a certain way. I've worked at places that only allowed a certain amount of facial hair and I didn't feel like I was bring forced to work in communist Russia.

The funny thing is I haven't heard a single player complain about not being able to grow facial hair. It's fans, who it doesn't even affect, that complain about it.

It's why Kovalchuk left. Too communist Russia over here, so he went.....ahum....yea...

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
TG just posted an interview with Hynes on his blog.

Link: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-john-hynes-ready-for-his-first-training-camp-as-an-nhl-head-coach-extended-q-a-1.1406258

Some things that stood out to me in a good way:

1) Hynes seems to have a pretty clear idea what he wants to instill in training camp and to understand that he can't throw too much at players all at once.

2) He seems to have a good idea what to look for in determining whether Pavel is ready to play in the NHL next season or not. He goes into considerable detail about that.

3) He has some nice comments on Patrik, Andy, and Rico.

What made me nervous: he thinks everyone's new favorite signing--you know, the guy with the impossibly long name--could help out in the NHL. He might indeed be a Hynes pet. :help:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
TG just posted an interview with Hynes on his blog.

Link: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-john-hynes-ready-for-his-first-training-camp-as-an-nhl-head-coach-extended-q-a-1.1406258

Some things that stood out to me in a good way:

1) Hynes seems to have a pretty clear idea what he wants to instill in training camp and to understand that he can't throw too much at players all at once.

2) He seems to have a good idea what to look for in determining whether Pavel is ready to play in the NHL next season or not. He goes into considerable detail about that.

3) He has some nice comments on Patrik, Andy, and Rico.

What made me nervous: he thinks everyone's new favorite signing--you know, the guy with the impossibly long name--could help out in the NHL. He might indeed be a Hynes pet. :help:
He just said ''There's a possibility'' that PL3 could help out in the NHL. I actually was quite afraid when I read what you said, as I hadn't read the article until just now.:laugh:

I didn't get that kind of vibe from him though. If he does play in the NHL, I think we may wind up actually having a forward that's worse than Zubrus after all. :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He just said ''There's a possibility'' that PL3 could help out in the NHL. I actually was quite afraid when I read what you said, as I hadn't read the article until just now.:laugh:

I didn't get that kind of vibe from him though. If he does play in the NHL, I think we may wind up actually having a forward that's worse than Zubrus after all. :laugh:

Even a possibility is too much, but maybe he was just trying to be nice and not say there was none. I hope.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hah well like I said a few days ago we'll find out if Hynes thinks a goon is essential in the NHL by what happens with PL3 :P Clearly he thought one was essential for his teams in the AHL at least, but that's a different animal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Even a possibility is too much, but maybe he was just trying to be nice and not say there was none. I hope.

I'd be more worried if we didn't have Tootoo to drop the gloves if needed. Then I could see PL3 being that guy. Hopefully he's filling that role in Albany and being the hard working vet to set a good example for the kids. And hopefully he doesn't go chasing down any skilled players like a buffoon again.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Hah well like I said a few days ago we'll find out if Hynes thinks a goon is essential in the NHL by what happens with PL3 :P Clearly he thought one was essential for his teams in the AHL at least, but that's a different animal.

Yep, this is the big litmus test right here.

I'd be more worried if we didn't have Tootoo to drop the gloves if needed. Then I could see PL3 being that guy. Hopefully he's filling that role in Albany and being the hard working vet to set a good example for the kids. And hopefully he doesn't go chasing down any skilled players like a buffoon again.

Yes, hopefully Hynes sees Tootoo as filling that role in the NHL (and bringing a bit more skill to the team), and PL3 can stay in the AHL where he belongs (and ideally not embarrass himself there).

kiwidevil

The only thing about the facial hair is if everyone grows it out during the season it makes it less of a novelty when everyone grows it out during the playoffs.

Exactly. Earn the beard. It was cool in that way.

GhostofKenKlee

That last statement isn't true. It's just your perception on things.

I was replying to Wingman and what he wrote. Look at the reaction here, it's not my perception it's my observation of posts of the squeaky wheels post and pre Lou and "open" they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad