Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
He's not going to stay on PP1. They're not setting him up for one-timers. He's perfect on PP2 where he and Timo can fire away.
I also felt that Colliton seems to have them playing more below and inside the dots. Perhaps its too small a sample size; but Dougie's lack of foot speed doesnt seem fitting for this 'new' setup. His shooting lanes are being swallowed up

Reactions: billingtons ghost

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
My two cents is that the new coach will quickly learn about Dougie's strengths and weaknesses.

He is not built for OT hockey (unless Devils have an OT power play). He doesn't have the skating required. He also doesn't have the defensive instincts to play penalty kill. Keefe will learn this and eventually won't put him out in these situations.

It's gonna be Dougie until Luke gets into game shape, Keefe also has played Siegs in OT this year which is a bit weird and we saw Pesce last night v the Isles. Leafs fans said he had weird lineup choices in OT if I remember correctly

Reactions: Whaddagoal

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Thoughts on Dillon?

Overplayed but he'll fit better once the top 4 is more solidified. Dougie and him need to stop being a thing because Dougie is legit bad right now and needs to fix his game. Don't think Dillon can carry top 4 defensive abilities and he wasn't brought here for that.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Overplayed but he'll fit better once the top 4 is more solidified. Dougie and him need to stop being a thing because Dougie is legit bad right now and needs to fix his game. Don't think Dillon can carry top 4 defensive abilities and he wasn't brought here for that.
Wow this is pretty much exactly what I was going to answer.

I like his game and he's a good addition but not stapled to Dougie and not getting top pairing minutes

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the-green-mile.gif

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We went from three years of being irritated of Ruff constantly blending the lines to Keefe stubbornly keeping lines together.

I get he’s trying to go with a more classic top six, third line checking line, and fourth line roster set up, but feels like we should just spread the wealth in the top nine at this point.

My preferred lines would be:

Meier - Hischier - Mercer
XXX - Hughes - Noesen
XXX - Haula - Bratt
XXX - Lazar - Bastian

Move around Tatar, Palat, and Cotter as you please, but I really want to see Hughes with Noesen and another heavier forward. Two guys who will open up space for him and force him to keep it more simple.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
We went from three years of being irritated of Ruff constantly blending the lines to Keefe stubbornly keeping lines together.

I get he’s trying to go with a more classic top six, third line checking line, and fourth line roster set up, but feels like we should just spread the wealth in the top nine at this point.

My preferred lines would be:

Meier - Hischier - Mercer
XXX - Hughes - Noesen
XXX - Haula - Bratt
XXX - Lazar - Bastian

Move around Tatar, Palat, and Cotter as you please, but I really want to see Hughes with Noesen and another heavier forward. Two guys who will open up space for him and force him to keep it more simple.

Bratt on the 3rd line is heresy.

I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part. But Bratt would be better suited on the 1st line and swap Mercer to the 3rd. Mercer is basically producing like a 3rd liner or worse at this moment.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Bratt on the 3rd line is heresy.

I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part. But Bratt would be better suited on the 1st line and swap Mercer to the 3rd. Mercer is basically producing like a 3rd liner or worse at this moment.
I believe the point of Bratt on the third is he has proven he can carry a line before, when Nico and Jack have gone down. Therefore, if Meier is best suited on Nico's wing, you only have one option left to try

How are Dillon and Dougie still together

Perhaps waiting for Luke and Pesce to get back into shape? They have been bad defensively, I agree; but the only other option for now is to scramble lines involving two preseason-form defenseman

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

How many of you guys out there have actually had a goaltending coach? Anyone? I never had any one who said anything other than basic stuff. Like, a head coach who knows nothing about goaltending stuff.Wtf could he possibly be doing to actually influence the goaltenders more than what the team defense is doing right now, in not playing defense?
I'm curious about his possible impacts and is they could be different than Luke putting it on DeBrincats stick or Dougie passing it to noone at all every time he has it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Jack-Nico-Bratt has been incredible when together. Honestly I'd probably roll that and let the rest shake out however.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I think Pesce looks really good for just getting back into the lineup, he's been solid. Luke on the other hand is a mess back there, it has nothing to do with learning systems, this is shit you learn what not to do with the puck when you're 10 years old. He really needs to clean it up and just make the simple play.
1000%!! Luke makes such egregious mistakes. When he coughed up the puck in the middle of the ice in the D zone (only to be saved when Allen bailed him out), I had flashbacks to a similar play last season which did cost the Devils a goal.

When is he going to learn to stop passing the puck up the middle of the ice in D zone?! It cost the Devils a late 1st period goal in Detroit which was a huge momentum swing.

I get he has tons of offensive upside but man….his decision making at times really is maddening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad