Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Good calls. That said, those teams were all pretty good before switching coaches. The Predators got off to a tough start this season. I think one distinguishing factor is NJ needing to have the Ruff beaten out of them.
Totally agree they are veteran proven successful teams so i'll understand that the transition is easier but still this is a devils team whos core young foundation has been in place playing with one another for multiple years. its not some mosh up mix of players revolving in and out. jack/bratt/nico/dougie all here for awhile heck even timo entering about 1.5 seasons. i really didn't expect a transition period

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
The new system excuse really doesn't wash with me when they looked fine with the new system the first few games where you'd figure the struggles would be, then all of a sudden allowed fourteen goals in two games with long stretches of non-competing. This isn't a system issue, this is a guys need to keep their heads out of their rear ends issue.
Its a multitude of issues but the system could be one of them. Regressing to old habits under Ruff's system when shit hits the fans isnt unheard of; we are only less than a month into the season

I personally think its more connected to consistent effort and mental-engagement, but im sure theyll be fine

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The new system excuse really doesn't wash with me when they looked fine with the new system the first few games where you'd figure the struggles would be, then all of a sudden allowed fourteen goals in two games with long stretches of non-competing. This isn't a system issue, this is a guys need to keep their heads out of their rear ends issue.

They've had 1 full practice since their stateside season started 2 weeks ago. But as ever, the answer is 'compete harder'.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good calls. That said, those teams were all pretty good before switching coaches. The Predators got off to a tough start this season. I think one distinguishing factor is NJ needing to have the Ruff beaten out of them.
To be fair the Preds were pretty mediocre last year before the infamous canceling of a team concert lit a fire under them and they won nine thousand games in a row

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They've had 1 full practice since their stateside season started 2 weeks ago. But as ever, the answer is 'compete harder'.

the compete level is absolutely terrible esp when trailing and things arent going their way like a big hit on a teammate just like last year. now you think thats a lack of practice problem? if thats true then hate to tell you but it aint going to get any easier when injuries start to happen or the goaltending regresses. i dont know how anyone can look at the compete level the intensity level this season since they came home and be like yeah this is acceptable and more practices will make these guys try harder and care more

MB3

Jan 30, 2023
ty of teams that have fired coaches in season and off season that go into the next year or same year and still produce and succeed.

Coaches that come in mid-season never just wholesale change the system. They make tweaks to whatever is already in place, they make personnel changes, but they never just say "okay throw whatever this dogshit nonsense you've been coached out the window, here's how we do things now".

now if you want to say that they are veteran clubs and thats why? ok thats fine i can agree a little with that buuuuuuuut the longest talk on this board was being afraid of signing any older player to a contract and everyone loved how young this roster was. so why is our team needing this excuse of new coach new system but not the other teams?
What an impossible point to follow. People don't want to sign overpriced free agents, how does that relate to having a veteran team of actually talented hockey players? The Devils are young, they have a brand new coach who taught them a brand new system, they're missing 2 of their top-4 defenseman, and they're currently playing to a 100-point pace.

This isn't the catastrophe some people are making it out to be lol

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Coaches that come in mid-season never just wholesale change the system. They make tweaks to whatever is already in place, they make personnel changes, but they never just say "okay throw whatever this dogshit nonsense you've been coached out the window, here's how we do things now".

What an impossible point to follow. People don't want to sign overpriced free agents, how does that relate to having a veteran team of actually talented hockey players? The Devils are young, they have a brand new coach who taught them a brand new system, they're missing 2 of their top-4 defenseman, and they're currently playing to a 100-point pace.

This isn't the catastrophe some people are making it out to be lol

i can only speak for myself but im not making it out to be a catastrophe but i'm also not thinking everything is going perfect. its great they are playing at 100pt pace i fully expect them to make the playoffs. their record against teams so far this season against teams that made the playoffs last year leaves a lot to be desired.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Optimism is not suggested at the moment. Noted. See you sickos tomorrow.

This is very 22-23 coded lol.

IMG_8118.jpeg

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I couldn't disagree more. Kovacevic has been significantly better than Nemec. It's not been remotely close..
You read my entire post and came back with this? You just said the one thing I agreed with rather than acknowledging or talking about anything else I said that was relevant to my argument. What a waste of a post

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You read my entire post and came back with this? You just said the one thing I agreed with rather than acknowledging or talking about anything else I said that was relevant to my argument. What a waste of a post
I disagreed with your entire post. Nemec has been giving up 2-1s in pretty much every game, and he has not "played well lately" (though he's played better than his first 5 games). I just didn't feel like getting into a pissing match because I don't want to come across as a Nemec hater because I'm not. But the way Kovacevic has been playing gives me no desire to rotate him out for a struggling young dman.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I disagreed with your entire post. Nemec has been giving up 2-1s in pretty much every game, and he has not "played well lately" (though he's played better than his first 5 games). I just didn't feel like getting into a pissing match because I don't want to come across as a Nemec hater because I'm not. But the way Kovacevic has been playing gives me no desire to rotate him out for a struggling young dman.
lol but you’ve once again only disagreed with one part while ignoring the rest. You don’t think Nemec’s played prettywell lately. I disagree and clearly the coaches do as well.

But that’s a small part of the argument unless you think Nemec’s game isn’t recoverable and he won’t improve. Or you think Kovacevic is some elite defensemen who’s gonna play like he did the first 5-6 games all season

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The "benefit of the doubt" argument holds little to no water to me because 18 months ago this same core with wayyy worse surrounding pieces, coaching, and goaltending broke the franchise points record and won a playoff round. How much benefit of the doubt does shutting out the Rangers in Game 7 in our own building give?

Why are we factoring in the performance of late Lou era teams and Shero's entire tenure into the success or failures of the 2024-25 Devils? The team has improved in points every year Tom has been here with the exception of last season which was marred by injury and circumstance.

There is a pretty radical shift in on-ice strategy and team building philosophy right now. If you're skeptical that this new approach will work, fine, but at least let it happen before you try and judge it.

We usually see eye to eye on a ton of stuff but I gotta disagree here man, it's not the idea that I don't think they can get out of it but when they face adversity they've folded for the majority of their time as a core. I think they'll be fine but there's more evidence that they'll just wilt when hit with adversity than overcome it. And yeah the Rangers series was great, but I don't want that to be the lasting legacy of this core. One playoff series win v them isn't what I want this core to be remembered by.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Huge boost.

Praise the lawd!

lol but you’ve once again only disagreed with one part while ignoring the rest. You don’t think Nemec’s played prettywell lately. I disagree and clearly the coaches do as well.

But that’s a small part of the argument unless you think Nemec’s game isn’t recoverable and he won’t improve. Or you think Kovacevic is some elite defensemen who’s gonna play like he did the first 5-6 games all season
I think Nemec will improve, but he's not there yet. AHL time will help him get better.

Kovacevic isn't an elite defenseman but he is a solid #4/5 IMO. Nemec isn't there at the moment.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I'm actually surprised at the level of thoughtfulness on both the optimism and pessimism side right now. It doesn't seem like a flame war. I think there is validity to both viewpoints. There is reason to believe they can turn it around, but enough very recent history to be reason for legitimate concern.
this is why i love this place. were one breath from heaven and one breath from hell.

let’s go devils

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
this is why i love this place. were one breath from heaven and one breath from hell.

let’s go devils

Its been so hard to manage expectations, or even keep them fairly low, since a lot of what Fitz does looks good on paper. Then you look at 22-23 and the Rags series and couple that with the default to thinking linear progression. Its easy to see why we are so touch and go. But linear progression doesn't align with reality. All that being said, when you look at the roster and what a lot of people think each individual is capable of, expectations of the team are high.

The media, our fanbase and the overall hockey world consider this to be a good roster. May or may not be true, but either way the on ice results say we are a bad-mediocre team as a collective unit.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Kovacevic has either been the best D or the 2nd best D on the team. Only bad game he's had is when he got forced onto his off side. You don't rotate Kovacevic if you're a serious team.
You do rotate if you're serious about developing a guy who will increase the potential for this team more than Kovacevic will. Not to say Nemec has to play every game over Kovacevic (or they can run 11-7) but its something that'll be beneficial in the long run. Also they have 4 games in 6 nights and they have a pretty condensed schedule coming up until Nov 16 so a d rotation to keep guys fresh would probably be beneficial.

Also it hasn't been the easiest ride for Nemec either so some grace should be given - 20 year old in his 2nd NHL season and under his 3rd NHL head coach already and started off the season paired with a right handed rookie defenseman.

There's also another option to keep both Kovacevic and Nemec in the lineup if Pesce could get up to speed quick and they're okay with trying a R-R pairing again with Hamilton: (either running 11-7 or taking Dillon out of the lineup):

Pesce-Hamilton
Siegenthaler-Kovacevic
Hughes-Nemec
Dillon

But all this is going to be moot when someone else gets injured knowing how it goes lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad