Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm actually surprised at the level of thoughtfulness on both the optimism and pessimism side right now. It doesn't seem like a flame war. I think there is validity to both viewpoints. There is reason to believe they can turn it around, but enough very recent history to be reason for legitimate concern.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The obsession with “xGF%” is a bit absurd in a 9 game stretch. The Devils have a 53% xGF% at 5 on 5 when Casey and Nemec aren’t out there. And they’re getting Luke and Pesce back, directly replacing both of those players and eliminating that dreaded R-R pairing.

They’re also 6th in the league in all situations xGF%. It’s good to have a decent PK and PP, actually.
Nemec is an subject that is somewhat concerning. Let's acknowledge all the disclaimers, short sample, playing with Casey(for most of the season) etc, but Nemec being sent down to Utica is something I would have thought impossible.

Now, like Jack, is it an injury thing?

There is the bright side of Nemec being sent down in the form of Kova looking like a legit shut down d-man making it a possibility. And if Nemec can get his game back, having him as depth in the form of an AHL call up is a great luxury.

But I think I would prefer that Nemec would be playing so well that taking him out of the lineup is just not an option.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec is an subject that is somewhat concerning. Let's acknowledge all the disclaimers, short sample, playing with Casey(for most of the season) etc, but Nemec being sent down to Utica is something I would have thought impossible.

There is the bright side of Nemec being sent down in the form of Kova looking like a legit shut down d-man making it a possibility. And if Nemec can get his game back, having him as depth in the form of an AHL call up is a great luxury.

But I think I would prefer that Nemec would be playing so well that taking him out of the lineup is just not an option.
I’m worried about a lot of stuff right now, but weirdly Nemec isn’t one of them tbh. He’s a very young D-man that has a lot to work on, and I don’t think the sophomore slump is a myth. We’ll see him back this year eventually.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The obsession with “xGF%” is a bit absurd in a 9 game stretch. The Devils have a 53% xGF% at 5 on 5 when Casey and Nemec aren’t out there. And they’re getting Luke and Pesce back, directly replacing both of those players and eliminating that dreaded R-R pairing.

They’re also 6th in the league in all situations xGF%. It’s good to have a decent PK and PP, actually.
Fair points. I also agree that there’s context to all of this. Getting Luke and Pesce back should help for sure.

A solid effort tonight versus the Wings and I’m back lol. I was just so disappointed with the effort against TB who had their backup goalie and was on a b2b. I really thought we were past efforts like this after a meh loss. Maybe too early in the season for those expectations.

Hopefully they respond to two pretty bad losses with a convincing W tonight!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Still potentially will be 6-3-1 after the detroit game?

With 2 of our D out? Seems like we are doing okay, even if there are still things to keep working on and improving.
And Jack thus far not being Jack.

I do wonder why his game looks this limited. Is it strictly hesitancy on his part? Is there some plan from doctors and the organization that has him avoiding contact? Is there a timetable as per when he will look to engage more?

I thought he looked good in that 3rd period vs Wash, but despite the points I thought I saw some pretty clear instances of him avoiding areas of the ice vs TB.

Maybe one good sign of this potentially being an organization decision is Jack took 16 faceoffs(and won 8 of them) vs TB. His high previous to that was 10, so maybe the team is expanding some parameters.

Nico right now is exactly the player we hoped he would be, but we do need Jack to be Jack if we want to be the team we hoped to be.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Nemec did have that ugly looking injury that knocked him out of the tournament in the offseason. Wouldn’t be surprised if that is a part of his problem, because the falloff from last year has been huge.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m worried about a lot of stuff right now, but weirdly Nemec isn’t one of them tbh. He’s a very young D-man that has a lot to work on, and I don’t think the sophomore slump is a myth. We’ll see him back this year eventually.
I'm a little on the other side. A guy drafted as high as Nemec was should in the league in his +3 year.

Granted, as noted, Kova stepping up as a quality d-first d-man has changed the dynamic.

Couple questions which arise from the situation.

If Kova is capable of playing at this level, and Hamilton and Pesce signed long term, what changes next year?

What is the contract implications of Nemec playing a large chunk of the year in the AHL?

Nemec did have that ugly looking injury that knocked him out of the tournament in the offseason. Wouldn’t be surprised if that is a part of his problem, because the falloff from last year has been huge.

Also a shoulder it looks like? Wtf with shoulders and our young potential superstars?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
View attachment 920712
View attachment 920713
View attachment 920714

Name these three teams and tell me where they ended up last season. And tell me how that first month of hockey was make or break for them.

we entered this phase of deflected already i see. again i'm super critical of this team but i'm not saying the season is over i'm just calling the games how they have played so far. when the devils have had the proven track record of regular season success then they will have earned the ability for me to write off a bad stretch of games.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I can tell I haven't had much sleep, I read that Tweet and thought for a second they were talking about Nemec getting hurt in practice before realizing it was from the Olympic qualifiers lol

Reactions: NJDevs26

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
devils are on pace for 100 points despite a brutal game schedule and a top 4 pairing injured.

Why are we even talking about “make or break”

Bipolar-ass fanbase smh
brutal game schedule? they get the leafs coming in off a back to back while devils at home rested. they get the bolts coming in off a back to back while devils home rested both games no showed. just enough with the excuses. i'm tired of the injury excuse too sure luke and brett are big players but having them back in the lineup isn't going to change the team no showing against top tier clubs.

The "benefit of the doubt" argument holds little to no water to me because 18 months ago this same core with wayyy worse surrounding pieces, coaching, and goaltending broke the franchise points record and won a playoff round. How much benefit of the doubt does shutting out the Rangers in Game 7 in our own building give?

Why are we factoring in the performance of late Lou era teams and Shero's entire tenure into the success or failures of the 2024-25 Devils? The team has improved in points every year Tom has been here with the exception of last season which was marred by injury and circumstance.

There is a pretty radical shift in on-ice strategy and team building philosophy right now. If you're skeptical that this new approach will work, fine, but at least let it happen before you try and judge it.

then the core foundation of this team just seemed to give up and not even try anymore. its really fascinating how they put it all together that one season and then completely checked out after the playoffs. i figured it was the goaltending but even getting good goaltending the team still can't manage to play 60 full mins against anyone but the lower half of the league

MB3

Jan 30, 2023
Isles have made the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Caps have made the playoffs in 14 of the last 17 seasons.

Preds have made the playoffs 9 times in the last 10 years.

What exactly have we done in the last decade plus that should give us so much hope and belief in them? Believe me, if we had as much regular season success as these franchises I’d be very confident in this group turning it around and I would just chalk it up to the start of the season. Unfortunately they don’t have the success to back it up.

Can they do it? Yes. Do they have the skill to do it? Is there context that explains the work in progress? Yes. Will it pan out? That’s a hell of a question with this group and the way they’re playing right now and the way they’ve played years prior.

Hopefully they play some solid structured hockey tomorrow. That’d be absolutely great.
Every player who has literally ever played the game at a high level: “it takes time for teams to learn new systems. You’ll usually see older teams in established systems stronger at the beginning of the year.”

You: “the capitals made the playoffs 10 years in a row from 2007-2017 so they deserve more leeway than we do.”

i f***in hate it here bro lol

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Still potentially will be 6-3-1 after the detroit game?

With 2 of our D out? Seems like we are doing okay, even if there are still things to keep working on and improving.
its great that they swept buffalo before the league started their games but since they came back they have gone 3-3-1. the squeaked out a win against the caps on the road which is great good teams do that. then they no show against the same caps team the bolts and the leafs the last two which were playing off back to backs (since thats a huge thing here for our team) and with their backup goalies.

they seriously need to come out tonight and dominate from the puck drop for an entire game. will i take a close 3-2 win when the game is still in doubt for most of it? of course but please just play like everyone is expecting before the season started.

Every player who has literally ever played the game at a high level: “it takes time for teams to learn new systems. You’ll usually see older teams in established systems stronger at the beginning of the year.”

You: “the capitals made the playoffs 10 years in a row from 2007-2017 so they deserve more leeway than we do.”

there are plenty of teams that have fired coaches in season and off season that go into the next year or same year and still produce and succeed. now if you want to say that they are veteran clubs and thats why? ok thats fine i can agree a little with that buuuuuuuut the longest talk on this board was being afraid of signing any older player to a contract and everyone loved how young this roster was. so why is our team needing this excuse of new coach new system but not the other teams?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
then they no show against the same caps team the bolts and the leafs the last two which were playing off back to backs (since thats a huge thing here for our team) and with their backup goalies.
There isn’t a solid set of numbers that I could quickly find but NHL teams seem to perform barely worse on the second night of a back to back. This also makes sense to me as historically I don’t think I’ve seen a huge difference and I don’t believe betting lines reflect a real difference either.

My gut says that first game back from Europe is way harder than a back to back game. In general, I’d rather be coming off a back to back than coming off a 4 day break, even if Europe wasn’t involved.

So that’s my pushback on acting like back to backs are some slam dunks where you should beat the opponent. I actually think the Devils were the less schedule favored team in those 2 back to backs, if combined.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
its great that they swept buffalo before the league started their games but since they came back they have gone 3-3-1. the squeaked out a win against the caps on the road which is great good teams do that. then they no show against the same caps team the bolts and the leafs the last two which were playing off back to backs (since thats a huge thing here for our team) and with their backup goalies.

they seriously need to come out tonight and dominate from the puck drop for an entire game. will i take a close 3-2 win when the game is still in doubt for most of it? of course but please just play like everyone is expecting before the season started.

there are plenty of teams that have fired coaches in season and off season that go into the next year or same year and still produce and succeed. now if you want to say that they are veteran clubs and thats why? ok thats fine i can agree a little with that buuuuuuuut the longest talk on this board was being afraid of signing any older player to a contract and everyone loved how young this roster was. so why is our team needing this excuse of new coach new system but not the other teams?
What good teams have a new coach? Not being provocative genuinely curious.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Lmao fair enough. I’ve been one of the most optimistic posters on here since joining, I’ve even been criticized for it, I’ve admittedly been very pissed off the last 2 days. I just don’t understand how they play at times. I understand that learning a system takes some time, but being responsible with the puck, managing it well and playing a smart brand of hockey should be ingrained in these guys.

I’m just tired of the BS play and I just want this team to be good again and play responsible, solid hockey. A good effort and response tonight and I’m back on the train lmfao. I’m fairly confident in this group and they have the elements to be a solid club. Hopefully they find some momentum as the season goes on.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The new system excuse really doesn't wash with me when they looked fine with the new system the first few games where you'd figure the struggles would be, then all of a sudden allowed fourteen goals in two games with long stretches of non-competing. This isn't a system issue, this is a guys need to keep their heads out of their rear ends issue.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There isn’t a solid set of numbers that I could quickly find but NHL teams seem to perform barely worse on the second night of a back to back. This also makes sense to me as historically I don’t think I’ve seen a huge difference and I don’t believe betting lines reflect a real difference either.

My gut says that first game back from Europe is way harder than a back to back game. In general, I’d rather be coming off a back to back than coming off a 4 day break, even if Europe wasn’t involved.

So that’s my pushback on acting like back to backs are some slam dunks where you should beat the opponent. I actually think the Devils were the less schedule favored team in those 2 back to backs, if combined.
i agree with you back to backs be damned i think they are actually better to play back to back then not. i'm just saying the majority of this board makes the excuses of back to backs hurting us like last year stands to reason then it should benefit us facing a team on a b2b

Last edited:

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
What good teams have a new coach? Not being provocative genuinely curious.
Rangers.
Year 2 of Lavi ...

The new system excuse really doesn't wash with me when they looked fine with the new system the first few games where you'd figure the struggles would be, then all of a sudden allowed fourteen goals in two games with long stretches of non-competing. This isn't a system issue, this is a guys need to keep their heads out of their rear ends issue.
Seems to have little to do with the coach or the systems at this point. Nothing we can do now except wait and see if the players get better. I feel somewhat confident they will have a better record than last year, but I'm not sure its going to be much better.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
well going by last year off the top of my head the rangers predators caps all new coaches all great seasons
Good calls. That said, those teams were all pretty good before switching coaches. The Predators got off to a tough start this season. I think one distinguishing factor is NJ needing to have the Ruff beaten out of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad