Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
At some point Keefe might have to put Haula back on a line with Jack to help "fix" him. That would put all the lines in a blender.

I don't think Haula is gunna be the one to "fix" him

A wonder if a team like Nashville would want Ondrej Palat.
They have his buddy in Stamkos, Trotz is going all in for postseason and actually have cap space to make the deal.

NJ just need a warm body in return like Tomasino or Parssinen

No, I'd rather keep him, considering the playoffs is when he shines. Unless you mean if they're out of the playoffs, then sure.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean, Clarkson scored 30 with Elias....

He did not. The year Clarkson scored 30, he had a revolving door of linemates, one of which was Elias, but he only played about 20% of his time with Elias. It wasn't until 2013 that he started playing with Elias the majority of the time.

Nemec was in his second year after the draft. Its okay to make mistake. For now its okay for Casey to make mistake until Pesce is injured. Players in their age can learn something and start to be better. If Nemec will not run PP, it will be harder for him to learn how to run it.

I believe noone is talking about waiting until he will pop for 100+ min, but I don't see the tragedy to try him for 20-30 min.

From the talent point of view its not that far from "let's bury Jack in the bottom because he was bad in his first season". There are some metrics that will support it, there are some metrics that will not support it. Overall Nemec is talented enough but not as experienced. But team has enough talent and experience to give opportunity for guys like Nemec and Casey to try and learn. Until Pesce and Luke will be back.

If Nemec were playing like last season 5v5, I'd agree, get him back out there on the PP, but he is struggling at even strength. Giving him more responsibilities and more things to think about seems like the wrong move at this point, especially when playing the PP last season cannot have given him any confidence.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
What do our pairs look like when healthy?

Dillon-Hamilton
Luke-Pesce
Siegs-Kovacevic
Nemec

Nemec really going to be out? Based on the way Kovacevic is playing I think he would be. Can't have him as a #7 tho. Casey will likely spend all year in the minors unless we have multiple injuries.

I switch DIllon and Siegs

Reactions: Hisch13r

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Speaking of players who immediately turned into pumpkins when they left the Devils, Ryan Graves has been getting 14 minutes a game for Pittsburgh. Seem to remember some discourse about how much he is missed here.
I feel bad for Graves. It's clearly not working for him in Pittsburgh.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You're just talking past me, which is usually what happens. Do you understand how bad it is to give up 2.57 xGA/60 with a man advantage? Do you understand what colossal errors have to be being made?

The Devils have 17 seasons in the Corsi era. No defenseman has even come close to having that bad an xGA on the power play. Johnny Oduya had a 2 xGA/60 on the PP in 2010, the year he was traded, that is the only player who has come close.

The second unit was absolutely not helped by Nemec last season, who struggled with zone entries, in-zone passing, and pretty much all aspects of the power play last season. He'll get there. I'm not sure the guy who's showed up for the last 4 games is ready for a power play, though.
I’m not talking past you. You’re missing/ignoring the point. It’s still a small sample on a horrible powerplay. The powerplay was horrible with and without him and it’s stupid to suggest the powerplay was bad because of him.

You keep quoting his xGA/60. That’s a stupid thing to draw conclusions from when the total sample is 76 minutes. All of which were with an already shitty powerplay that lacks the skill to succeed.

Last edited:

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Wow i am f***ed up sick and going through nicotine and weed withdrawal right now. Had no idea this game was on

And sick or not take care of your mental health Devils fans; it can compound other issues

Maybe a win or two would be nice? Im not greedy

Go Devils

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
No one expected for Casey to come in and look this good. Having said that I think Fitz needs to start making some calls to move on from Hamilton. I love the guy but it's time for the new guys to shine. With Luke/Casey, Hamilton is going to have 0 PP time. Get rid of Hamilton and use his money to find a true 3C or top line winger. I doubt anyone wants Palat at his contract but I would make some calls for the hell of it to teams who want to reach a cap floor & instill some leadership into the locker room.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
No one expected for Casey to come in and look this good. Having said that I think Fitz needs to start making some calls to move on from Hamilton. I love the guy but it's time for the new guys to shine. With Luke/Casey, Hamilton is going to have 0 PP time. Get rid of Hamilton and use his money to find a true 3C or top line winger. I doubt anyone wants Palat at his contract but I would make some calls for the hell of it to teams who want to reach a cap floor & instill some leadership into the locker room.
Easier said than done with Hamilton. With a year or two left you can do it, but right now I dunno. Either way I guess you'd have to hope he can have a close to PPG year this year and then trade him in the offseason with small retention a-la Erik Karlsson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I will never understand why some Devils fans are averse to having good depth, especially on defense.

Hamilton is still one of the best PP weapons in the sport. No shot he is going to not get PP time.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
At some point I think we should go 2 dmen on the powerplay. I would literally be happy with a 3 dmen power play of Hamilton-Nemec-Casey if they were all playing and Luke was on the top PP. I honestly think that would be better in zone than any of our current unit two forwards. Just might struggle to get in the zone.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I will never understand why some Devils fans are averse to having good depth, especially on defense.

Hamilton is still one of the best PP weapons in the sport. No shot he is going to not get PP time.
Agreed. I’d like the Devils to be great this year and moving Hamilton when he’s still a top defenseman will hurt this years team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad