Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nemec as pp2? Not unreasonable, but legitimately the only option at that point.

My guess is they wait until Luke is back. Scoring goals will keep a guy in the lineup.
Nemec at PP2 wouldn’t just not be unreasonable but would be a good thing. I doubt they wait until Luke comes back. Seems very likely that Casey is out the second Pesce is back

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
At some point Keefe might have to put Haula back on a line with Jack to help "fix" him. That would put all the lines in a blender.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't even love Palat, but still not sure what exactly he is preventing us from doing cap wise at the moment.

I also don't see him being on the 4th line for any extended amount of time.
Who do you think will be pushed back to the 4th? Everyone above him is better and I actually liked him on the 4th line last night.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Nemec at PP2 wouldn’t just not be unreasonable but would be a good thing. I doubt they wait until Luke comes back. Seems very likely that Casey is out the second Pesce is back

Nemec was awful on the PP last year and has started out the season poor at 5v5. Doubt that it would be a good thing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nemec was awful on the PP last year and has started out the season poor at 5v5. Doubt that it would be a good thing.
How in the world was he awful on the pp last year? He’s had a rough start but I’m not worried at all and he played much better last game. He is a perfectly capable PP quarter back and will likely run that powerplay once Pesce is back.

Palat may have shown up to training camp finished, it will happen at his age. I still think he can contribute on a 4th line (especially the current iteration) but obviously if that's his limit he can't be here next year. It's still way too early to tell that.
If all he is is a good 4th liner who plays up during injuries and kills penalties I’d imagine he will be back. The buyout doesn’t really save enough to be worth it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
How in the world was he awful on the pp last year? He’s had a rough start but I’m not worried at all and he played much better last game. He is a perfectly capable PP quarter back and will likely run that powerplay once Pesce is back.

He was awful. The Devils were outscored with him on the ice 5v4, and they gave up 2.5 xG/60 which is obviously atrocious. Everyone on PP2's numbers were better without him (and likely better without him and Hamilton, too). Among NHL defensemen who played 50 minutes on the power play last year, Nemec had the worst on-ice shots ratio and by far the worst xG.

I don't doubt that at some point, Nemec will be a fine PP guy, even if he's not asked to play there that often. I'm skeptical he is any good now.

If all he is is a good 4th liner who plays up during injuries and kills penalties I’d imagine he will be back. The buyout doesn’t really save enough to be worth it.

$6M is too much to pay for that, you can replace that for less plus the buyout, and again, if he is that now, there's no telling that he would be that next year, either. But this is all a long way off.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He was awful. The Devils were outscored with him on the ice 5v4, and they gave up 2.5 xG/60 which is obviously atrocious. Everyone on PP2's numbers were better without him (and likely better without him and Hamilton, too). Among NHL defensemen who played 50 minutes on the power play last year, Nemec had the worst on-ice shots ratio and by far the worst xG.

I don't doubt that at some point, Nemec will be a fine PP guy, even if he's not asked to play there that often. I'm skeptical he is any good now.

$6M is too much to pay for that, you can replace that for less plus the buyout, and again, if he is that now, there's no telling that he would be that next year, either. But this is all a long way off.
The 2nd PP was a mess in general and should be thrown all on Nemec. I’m more than confident that he is already a more than capable powerplay qb

If you can replace what Palat is for less than 2M sure. But as of right now I don’t think you can assume you could. Especially if you consider his experience and hopefully playoff impact. I really liked his game on the 4th line last night and he puts up strong defensive results.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Nemec had 2 PPA assists in 77:28 minutes of PP time and had trouble holding the blue line.

He’s also been terrible this year, there’s zero reason to give him PP time now.

I have a tough time arguing that he should get ice time over Casey when Pesce gets back considering how Casey’s been better while playing on his off-side.

From 2923-24

Nemec on the PP
IMG_9736.png
IMG_9737.png

Vs

Luke on the PP
IMG_9734.png
IMG_9735.png

Vs

Hamilton on the PP
IMG_9738.pngIMG_9739.png

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nemec had 2 PPA assists in 77:28 minutes of PP time and had trouble holding the blue line.

He’s also been terrible this year, there’s zero reason to give him PP time now.

I have a tough time arguing that he should get ice time over Casey when Pesce gets back considering how Casey’s been better while playing on his off-side.

From 2923-24

Nemec on the PP
View attachment 916246
View attachment 916245

Vs

Luke on the PP
View attachment 916247
View attachment 916248

Vs

Hamilton on the PP
View attachment 916249View attachment 916250
We know he’s started tough but he was better last game and it’s seems like Casey will be sent down. And I’m perfectly happy giving Nemec the benefit of the doubt and Casey could use some AHL seasoning. It makes by far the most sense.

That 2nd powerplay unit was a mess overall. He has the skill and talent to run a powerplay. And when Casey likely comes out for Pesce he seems like the best option until Luke is back.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Cotter is their best player and instantly turns any line successful. He should be moved up so he can carry the Hughes/Bratt line.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
A wonder if a team like Nashville would want Ondrej Palat.
They have his buddy in Stamkos, Trotz is going all in for postseason and actually have cap space to make the deal.

NJ just need a warm body in return like Tomasino or Parssinen

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The 2nd PP was a mess in general and should be thrown all on Nemec. I’m more than confident that he is already a more than capable powerplay qb

And I'm more than confident than Nemec was awful last year on the PP - the PP was worse when he was there - and it's wishcasting to believe that he is already good. The power play is difficult, it requires a kind of precision and timing that young players don't always have, and it can take years to develop it.

2.57 xG/60 on the power play, do you know how bad that is? Nemec had 2.75 xG 5v5. The Devils gave up loads and loads of chances when he was on the ice on the PP. They struggled to enter the zone and struggled to defend when they didn't. I don't think that can all be chalked up to the structure of the power play.

If you can replace what Palat is for less than 2M sure. But as of right now I don’t think you can assume you could. Especially if you consider his experience and hopefully playoff impact. I really liked his game on the 4th line last night and he puts up strong defensive results.

Again, it's early to talk about any of this. Last night was probably his best game so far. Still needs to show some more, but it's early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad