Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Spoke of Keefe's deployment above.

I didn't look at the game break downs, but it makes sense that Nico would be getting the matchup assignments as well. Thing is though, this is not new. Nico has gotten difficult assignments in years past as well.

Should also be noted Nico's line, despite the difficult assignments, is the only one above water in terms of possession. 55% corsi. 56% shots.

Also looks as though Casey is playing as protected of minutes as possible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sieg's and the great 8 playing getting heavy d-zone workload. Possession numbers not great, but they have done a good job keeping the puck out of the net.

I think it's time to let Casey cook in the AHL and call up my boy Misyul
Nemec as pp2? Not unreasonable, but legitimately the only option at that point.

My guess is they wait until Luke is back. Scoring goals will keep a guy in the lineup.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Nemec as pp2? Not unreasonable, but legitimately the only option at that point.

My guess is they wait until Luke is back. Scoring goals will keep a guy in the lineup.
I'd be comfortable with Nemec on PP2 yeah. And I'm not even sure it'd be the right choice, but I think between protecting Casey this much, and having that pairing just not really working, the dropoff on the second PP unit is worth what I think would be a better 5on5 performance.

Reactions: devilsblood

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
if he continues to play the we he has for basically the entire time he’s been here, i can see this being a worthwhile move.
I could too depending on how much Luke's extension is, but we have majority of our other main players signed so I could see us not buying out Palat after next year.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
if he continues to play the we he has for basically the entire time he’s been here, i can see this being a worthwhile move.

The first 2 years he was at least a ~2.5 mil player. He was an effective two way 3rd liner which is more than that. If his play falls off big time and/or Cotter is able to effectively take his place in the top 9 and Palat’s a 4th liner then I think a buyout would make sense. If Cotter can’t do that and Palat proves to still be an effective two way 3rd liner we’re better off just keeping him since you’d still have to replace him and it’d be hard to do that for just ~2.5

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If you buy out Palat who is playing better than him for any aporeciable discount?

The hope is it'd be Cotter taking his place in the top 9 and then you sign someone cheap to fill in the 4th line spot. 2 games in and Cotter looks a lot better than Palat. We'll see how the rest of the year goes.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If you buy out Palat who is playing better than him for any aporeciable discount?

I think it mostly depends on what you think you're getting from Palat.

If he's on the 4th and you're paying him to win board battles, but only puts up 5-6 goals and 15-20 points (obviously super early to make any sort of projection when it comes to his production), I don't think it's crazy to think that you can get something similar from a guy you sign for like 1.1 million or something and then pocket the buyout difference for extensions and what not.

Reactions: My3Sons

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Where Pesci
1728848803641.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad