Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The Urbom enthusiasm was always funny. Dude was a grenade handler every single call-up, which was the real meaning behind Urbomb Squad.

I always liked Lars and Merrill, but we just needed someone exactly like the three kids we have now who are all insanely talented, poised and smart. It feels like they Wukong-ed aspects of Niedermayer into Luke, Nemec and Casey.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s early and probably a bit over reactionary but two major concerns right now.

-Jack Hughes sucking and always going through fairly longish phases of sucking that are ignored because he still puts up some points.

-No bottom 6 speed. Cotter and Lazar have speed. Every single other depth forward we have is undoubtedly slow and it sucks. Bastian is probably the next fastest and that’s not good. And then the second someone’s injured we bring in Kurtis MacDermid who is slower than all of them. Who’s after that? The barely faster Nolan Foote. Talked about it in the summer but we’ve sacrificed wayy to much speed in our forward group.

Otherwise. Goaltending is better and defence should sort itself out (although less defensive laziness from the forwards would help).

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The Urbom enthusiasm was always funny. Dude was a grenade handler every single call-up, which was the real meaning behind Urbomb Squad.

I always liked Lars and Merrill, but we just needed someone exactly like the three kids we have now who are all insanely talented, poised and smart. It feels like they Wukong-ed aspects of Niedermayer into Luke, Nemec and Casey.
Awesome. I was all about all of them. And lars and Merrill carved out nice careers. Gelibombs? Sign me up. I'm pretty of the Urbomsquad

Reactions: Oneiro and Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s early and probably a bit over reactionary but two major concerns right now.

-Jack Hughes sucking and always going through fairly longish phases of sucking that are ignored because he still puts up some points.

-No bottom 6 speed. Cotter and Lazar have speed. Every single other depth forward we have is undoubtedly slow and it sucks. Bastian is probably the next fastest and that’s not good. And then the second someone’s injured we bring in Kurtis MacDermid who is slower than all of them. Who’s after that? The barely faster Nolan Foote. Talked about it in the summer but we’ve sacrificed wayy to much speed in our forward group.

Otherwise. Goaltending is better and defence should sort itself out (although less defensive laziness from the forwards would help).
it’s obvious team is only going to go as far as Paul Cotter can carry them.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Ahem, I hear Jesper Boqvists music in South Florida playing. He's the fastest bottom 6 player you can ask for.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec had a very bad game tonight, wonder if his shoulder is still bothering him.
Love Nemec but he’s looked a bit rusty since the start of the season. Not worried about him getting into his groove soon, maybe he’s getting into a bit of a sophomore slump. Who knows.

Nemec-Casey doesn’t really seem to be working overall right now though.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec demonstrates a somewhat consistent lack of urgency when he's going back to retrieve pucks. It gets him in trouble when teams are heavily forechecking
Yeah, he’s always been super calm, but sometimes it works against him. He’ll learn.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tatar and Palat are going to be deadweight this year. But I think we enough talent that it won’t hold the team back at least in the regular season. Outside of that I have no concerns about the bottom six. Speed is not the end all be all, otherwise the team two years ago would have won the cup easily.

Jack…I have concerns with. He will put up points no matter what but the other aspects of his game and his vibe going back to last year just isn’t sitting right with me.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
jack has kind of been a sourpuss dickhead going back to his first postgame interview. it’s the one thing about him i don’t love. but as long as he’s filling the net i’m happy to overlook it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
jack has kind of been a sourpuss dickhead going back to his first postgame interview. it’s the one thing about him i don’t love. but as long as he’s filling the net i’m happy to overlook it.

I hate paint by number interviews so I enjoy how much he hates them too lol

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Loss like this sucks, but now Keefe finally got to watch the team play a full on game and all the warts it had to offer. Now he can get to work and fix shit. He saw things last night that he would never have seen in practice or feasting on Buffalo.

Get to work coach.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
But him playing this way shouldn’t be overlooked because of the assist or goal he still puts up. We’re not gonna win shit when he plays like this so often.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tatar and Palat are going to be deadweight this year. But I think we enough talent that it won’t hold the team back at least in the regular season. Outside of that I have no concerns about the bottom six. Speed is not the end all be all, otherwise the team two years ago would have won the cup easily.

Jack…I have concerns with. He will put up points no matter what but the other aspects of his game and his vibe going back to last year just isn’t sitting right with me.
Agree with most of this but I don’t mind Tatar at all. I think he meshes well in our top 6 and is still a capable player. Palat would be fine as a pure bottom 6 guy but we would be better served with someone who has a little more speed.

Speed isn’t the be all end all but you really want some speed in your bottom 6. We don’t have enough IMO

Reactions: My3Sons

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013

I've been as big of a jack hater as possible since he returned from injury last year. He has lost something since 22-23. I think alot of it is mental and tentative playing, maybe due to the injury.
We know he had essentially an abrieviated offseason. Rehab involved. Can't imagine he had time to bulk and get his body right before training camp. So is this an extended preseason for him? Maybe...

Either way we can give him a week or two to see if he ramps up back into his old self. But the ill advised passes, the lack of simplicity and tenaciousness in his game is going to forever hold him back if he can't improve on it. He just simply doesn't look like a dominant star player anymore. He doesn't look like the guy that's going to take over a game. I hope he proves me wrong this week in DC or against Utah.

The devils won't sniff a cup finals or a deep playoff run if he doesn't get his shit together.
We don't look like a team that has two 1st overalls who are elite players that dominate the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad