Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
1725494474523.png

disgusting stuff. Really soured on Fitz the past 9 months or so.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm sure this has already been discussed once the schedule came out, but I'm just looking at it now and seeing our last preseason game is in Philly the night before our regular season kicks off in Prague.

So, what does everyone think is the play for how to handle preseason games and when does the team leave for Prague?

I'm thinking that you have close to the final roster (maybe some bubble players getting one last look) on the 27th (exactly one week before the season opener) before leaving for Prague a day or two later. This gives the team some time to adjust to the time change, enjoy Prague a bit and handle NHL obligations and get a few practices in before the season starts.

That would leave 3 preseason games for mostly Utica to play in, so it will be a unique preseason to say the least with the roster not really getting trimmed down as the preseason goes on - especially with 3 games in 4 nights to end the preseason when the main team will presumably be gone.

Have to wonder if the final roster decisions will be made by the time the team leaves for Prague or if they bring a couple extra players to get a few more views in Prague and so as to not tip their hand on who may be hitting waivers. I would personally be on the latter, which further diminishes our lineup for the end of the preseason. Not that that really matters all that much as I think the preseason is too long anyway and would rather see our prospects get more playing time, but we're probably looking at 2-3 preseason games each for our top players.

Also have to wonder if this impacts signing guys to PTO's as it is a very condensed schedule for someone to try to make an impact when you also need to get the vets in early (not to mention the roster is already rather full as is).

View attachment 904997
I’m thinking maybe even as many as the last 3 games are played with guys that aren’t going to Europe.

I also think there will be an exhibition game for the players that went to Europe against some other team from a European league.

Like how we did against Bern in Switzerland in 2018 when we opened the regular season in Sweden.

I think every team that opens in Europe has a similar exhibition game against a Euro based team.

I’m surprised we’ve heard nothing on that yet, but maybe they normally haven’t announced that 4-4.5 weeks in advance.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yikes. If this is true, that’s bad.

Edit: And, it wasn’t true apparently. That was quick lol.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lucic? Wtf. Even if the domestic violence issue never happened. I’m not interested. Yuck. Even worse that it did happen and we’re giving it a chance. Terrible look.
The fact Boston fans were that excited (I mean the ovation he got in the arena) when they signed him last year was super cringy.

And that was even before we had any idea he was a woman beater.

They may as well have signed 60-something year old Ray Bourque, who is probably better at hockey at 63 than Lucic at 36.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why do we keep getting linked to Lucic? There was something about it a few weeks ago.

Are they just running with the original report?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because he was in NJ training a couple weeks ago which random players always seem to do. There was never a legitimate link.
That's right. Now I remember.

I forgot about that. I'm hoping that's why that Stauffer guy even put it out there that he was getting a PTO and that it was an assumption that he was on a PTO because he was working out at the team facilities.

I did find that odd, because he's not from the area, never played any closer than Boston and usually the guys that skate there are either local guys from either Jersey or Staten Island, or guys that are either active or former Devils players.

I do hope that there's no handshake deal that he'll get a PTO if the NHL will okay him coming back.

Either way, there's a multitude of reasons not to have Lucic on this team. The fact that he's a woman beater is the most important, but he was washed even before we found that out. The guy played 5 games last year, all in October. Even if he only played 5 games, with the last coming in the first month of the season for any other reason, we still shouldn't even think about it. Boston should have never even brought him in.

He's old, washed up, slow, can't even score at this level anymore. And we've known that for years now.

And he's a woman beater, which we haven't known for years, but that's reason enough to stay the hell away from him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just had flashbacks to the preseason game I went to when we had Tomas Kaberle and Mike Komisarek on PTOs.

If only for the excuse to talk about Lucic, I'd love to ask Dean Lombardi some questions but I imagine he'd just glare at me.

2006 Draft: Lombardi is hired by the Kings about a month before the draft. So he has to proceed with the incumbent scouts.

Lombardi had been doing pro scouting for the Flyers, so he didn't have any specific input on the prospects. With LA, he inherited a bunch of young forwards but they didn't have much on the blue line.

With two picks in the first round, Lombardi lets the scouts take who they want (Jonathan Bernier and Trevor Lewis). But in the second round, Lombardi allegedly put his foot down and vetoed the scouts taking Milan Lucic. Lombardi insisted that they take a defenseman and the scouts wound choose Joe Ryan. Lucic would go a couple picks later to Boston.

Lombardi's obsession with building up the Kings defense would lead to the Thomas Hickey pick in 2007 as well.

2009 Draft: Lucic is fresh off of a breakout sophomore season. Lombardi is locked into the Kings taking a Lucic-esque prospect in Kyle Clifford with the #35 pick.

As the first round winds down, LA's scouts are shocked that Ryan O'Reilly is still available. They implore Lombardi to trade up to get him. Lombardi tries but the Islanders (#31) understandably want #35 as part of the return. Lombardi declines as he doesn't want to miss out on Clifford who he doesn't think would last until LA's next pick. O'Reilly goes #33 to Colorado.

2015: I believe the story was that some LA scouts happened to be in the same hotel bar as Boston's group the night before the draft. Eventually they talk shop and Lucic's name gets dropped. Talks get unexpectedly serious quickly and Lombardi is called from his hotel room. They'd finalize the deal the next day.

LA would give up pick #13, Colin Miller, and Martin Jones. Years later, (former) assistant GM Mike Futa said that Matt Barzal would have been their pick if they hadn't done the trade. Lucic played well in his one season in LA but left as a free agent.

Lombardi probably wouldn't lose sleep over it with his name on the Cup a couple times, but one minor misstep with Lucic in 2006 arguably led to them missing out on Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Barzal which could have extended their window.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I'm signing a lot of you into an old folks home.

It was already said when it came up that he was practicing in NJ that he can't play in the NHL.:shakehead

I'll take instant pudding and 24/7 of shitty ray J Johnson and Joe Namath Medicare commercials over Lucic being in this state.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad