Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Reminder: This is HFBoards. It can't be both. It has to be one or the other exclusively, and you have to argue vehemently for whatever cause you pick.
both.png

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This :

So he's part of the crowd here that thinks it was moreso the Defense than the Goaltenders that was the issue.

Goddamn it, Keefe.

I thought you were smarter than this. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

The correct/actual answer is: "Marty said he's staying and he's higher in the chain than me"

My opinion this past season was a combination of goal goaltending and defense combined. This happened because of bad input to Fitz from Ruff and Fitz not being able to pull the trigger on the deal he wanted. I think Ruff promised and didn't deliver. As for before this past season, we had bad goal tending since the last season of Brodeur. Schneider gave us one maybe two good years during this time frame. I hope the fix is here, now. KEEFE will deliver a better combination of defense and goal tending. FITZ improved the defense and we are getting back our injured defensive star.

The thing is, the terrible defense (for the most part) was just last season. The terrible goaltending has been going on for years. Every goalie has regressed and at best, not improved, under Rogalski.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was very shocked to see that article, where it at least came off as Keefe having the autonomy to actually decide which assistants to keep and not to keep.

Especially since there seems to be this idea on this board that the coach should be given the autonomy to bring in all of his own assistants, when in reality I think most head coaches only bring in ONE of their own assistants, and in more rare cases maybe two.

For some reason, people in the industry seem to praise Rogalski. One of those goalie guru guys on one of those podcasts a few months back was praising him and saying it wasn't his fault that the goalies play inadequately here.

And one of the things that people have said in his defense is that he hasn't really had the goalie talent here for the goalies to play well. I think that could be somewhat true. Jon Gillies is NOT a talented goalie at the NHL level. He never has been. As a matter of fact, Jon Gillies is no longer an adequate goalie at even the AHL level, which is why he went unsigned last year at just 29 years old, and didn't play pro hockey at all last season.

Daws and Schmid at the very least were not NHL ready. Daws absolutely was nowhere near it his first season he played a lot of NHL games. Same with Schmid. Schmid may not be as good as he played in 2022-2023 in the NHL. Actually, he isn't as good as he played that season, he definitely overachieved. But is he good at all? Maybe not.

Blackwood, as I've been over countless times, was NOT a good goaltender in the AHL. His first season in the AHL was decent, maybe even solid, but his second season was historically bad, his third season was completely mediocre, despite actually having a good season in the NHL that very same year.

Vanecek also had a similarly BAD season in the AHL at one point. He was just okay in Washington. Had his best season under Rogalski, but had the worst season of at least his NHL career under Rogalski, if not the worst season of his entire career. Vanecek probably needed more than Rogalski's help after what happened in the playoffs in 2023. Possibly some professional mental health help.

Rogalski at the very least should be on a very hot seat. I thought he was gonna be ganked after last season, but he was only one year removed from the one season where the goalies actually played well since he's been here. Or at least 2 of the 3 did.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just ran into Ryan Whitney at a fish market in Nantucket and asked him his thoughts on the devils this year. He’s very high on them. Lanky dude in real life.

That's pretty cool. I watch the Chiclets sandbaggers all the time, and always enjoy when someone (either him or an opponent) takes the piss out of him for his body type. He always jokes about his legs and being built like a bag of milk, but my favorite might have been when someone told him "I've never seen anyone built like a sick greyhound before". :laugh:

They're not my go to for NHL content given they can be clowns, but as far as entertainment goes, I don't mind Spittin' Chiclets. They're not bad guys (Whit and Biz). RA is another story though.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The talent some people have is really amazing. I wish I can even do a paint by numbers properly
that is great work on that mask. Great precision and detail. I wish I had that sort of ability as well. Of course, I have literary talent as shown below by my upcoming chidlrens' book "The ABCs of the Devils"

A is for Andre Palot, see item O below

B is for Ben Lovejoy the greatest Devil of them all

C is for 3C which is obvious

D is for Dano who is silky smooth

E is for Erika who we will sadly miss

F is for Forty, the number of goals Timo will score

G is for Genucel, see item D above

H is for Haula who stirs the drink

I is for I can't believe they gave MacDermid a 3 year deal

J is for Jack Hughes who is going to break the 100 points mark this season

K is for knockout which MacDermid will try next time they play the Rangers

L is for Luke who was third in rookie of the year voting and only scratching the surface

M is for Jacob Markstrom who has some very small shoes to fill

N is for New Jersey where the Devils play and @NjDevsRR lives on the shore

O is for Andre Palot who is going to justify that big contract this season

P is for Pesce which I think may translate into English as fish

Q is for Dr. Evil because I wanted to make a Dougie Hamilton reference

R is for Dave Rogalski who @Bleedred will tell everyone is why NJ has had such great goaltending the past few years

S is for Simon Nemec who may have even been better than Luke on balance and that is not taking anything away from Luke

T is for Tommy Novak who returned to NJ this offseason in a bit of a surprise

U is for U have to be kidding me they haven't extended Mercer yet

V is for Topias Vilen who has a great name and hopefully makes a run for a callup this season

W is for Jesper Bratt since I didn't fit him in earlier when I had the chance

X is for Jonas Siegenthaler who needs a bounce back season

Y is for Anton Silayev since he has a Y in his name

Z is for Warren Zevon because keeping him out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a capital crime

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
that is great work on that mask. Great precision and detail. I wish I had that sort of ability as well. Of course, I have literary talent as shown below by my upcoming chidlrens' book "The ABCs of the Devils"

///

Z is for Warren Zevon because keeping him out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a capital crime.

on the recording it's letterman yelling "hit somebody" (not paul shaffer like this live version)

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

A is for Andre Palot, see item O below

B is for Ben Lovejoy the greatest Devil of them all

C is for 3C which is obvious

D is for Dano who is silky smooth

E is for Erika who we will sadly miss

F is for Forty, the number of goals Timo will score

G is for Genucel, see item D above

H is for Haula who stirs the drink

I is for I can't believe they gave MacDermid a 3 year deal

J is for Jack Hughes who is going to break the 100 points mark this season

K is for knockout which MacDermid will try next time they play the Rangers

L is for Luke who was third in rookie of the year voting and only scratching the surface

M is for Jacob Markstrom who has some very small shoes to fill

N is for New Jersey where the Devils play and @NjDevsRR lives on the shore

O is for Andre Palot who is going to justify that big contract this season

P is for Pesce which I think may translate into English as fish

Q is for Dr. Evil because I wanted to make a Dougie Hamilton reference

R is for Dave Rogalski who @Bleedred will tell everyone is why NJ has had such great goaltending the past few years

S is for Simon Nemec who may have even been better than Luke on balance and that is not taking anything away from Luke

T is for Tommy Novak who returned to NJ this offseason in a bit of a surprise

U is for U have to be kidding me they haven't extended Mercer yet

V is for Topias Vilen who has a great name and hopefully makes a run for a callup this season

W is for Jesper Bratt since I didn't fit him in earlier when I had the chance

X is for Jonas Siegenthaler who needs a bounce back season

Y is for Anton Silayev since he has a Y in his name

Z is for Warren Zevon because keeping him out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a capital crime
Letter Z is right on! :thumbd:

Reactions: My3Sons

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It’s tough but I thought Ruff lost the room a few years ago. The Nico exit videos were rough.

Brunette gave this team a major shot in the arm.

Going beyond the defense or goaltending debate, the Devils were trash most nights. There wasn’t many complete efforts last season. I think Ruff’s roster choices and goalie usage were poor. His game management was terrible. Lindy’s PP went from #1 to not scoring for weeks and he made zero adjustments. He never used a timeout when games got out of hand.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It’s tough but I thought Ruff lost the room a few years ago. The Nico exit videos were rough.

Brunette gave this team a major shot in the arm.

Going beyond the defense or goaltending debate, the Devils were trash most nights. There wasn’t many complete efforts last season. I think Ruff’s roster choices and goalie usage were poor. His game management was terrible. Lindy’s PP went from #1 to not scoring for weeks and he made zero adjustments. He never used a timeout when games got out of hand.

lindy's back home.... the yellow side of the card is a hoot

Screen Shot 2024-08-13 at 1.01.08 AM.png

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
That's pretty cool. I watch the Chiclets sandbaggers all the time, and always enjoy when someone (either him or an opponent) takes the piss out of him for his body type. He always jokes about his legs and being built like a bag of milk, but my favorite might have been when someone told him "I've never seen anyone built like a sick greyhound before". :laugh:

They're not my go to for NHL content given they can be clowns, but as far as entertainment goes, I don't mind Spittin' Chiclets. They're not bad guys (Whit and Biz). RA is another story though.
Yea he was super nice! He said “yea Pasha is a pain in my ass about the Devils stuff but I still love him”.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The correct/actual answer is: "Marty said he's staying and he's higher in the chain than me"

The thing is, the terrible defense (for the most part) was just last season. The terrible goaltending has been going on for years. Every goalie has regressed and at best, not improved, under Rogalski.
I don't know about Rogalski. You are correct goaltending has been bad, it started with Brodeur his next to his last year with Schneider and then his last year that was all on Brodeur. Schneider had a couple of good years as backup for Marty. Then on his own Schneider one, I forget, maybe two years, then goal tending went downhill for the Devils, it has been a lot of years of bad goal tending for the Devils. If you put weak defense in front of weak goal tending then you have a lot of goals against and you lose a lot of games.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
GTL is a reference to Gym, Tan, Laundry from Jersey Shore.

In the show, the girls wrote a letter to another girl that her boyfriend was cheating on her at the club. So the Devils took that and rewrote it talking about the Avs mascot.
Thanks for sharing that. I never watched that show but I like the team having some fun with the social media.

Reactions: Guadana

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I don't know about Rogalski. You are correct goaltending has been bad, it started with Brodeur his next to his last year with Schneider and then his last year that was all on Brodeur. Schneider had a couple of good years as backup for Marty. Then on his own Schneider one, I forget, maybe two years, then goal tending went downhill for the Devils, it has been a lot of years of bad goal tending for the Devils. If you put weak defense in front of weak goal tending then you have a lot of goals against and you lose a lot of games.
Rogalski should be gone .. too many seasons of failure. It's never one guys fault, but he seems to be given the benefit of the doubt too often. It's been a failure .. should have canned him and brought someone else in.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

I'm amazed this is all done by hand and not some fancy computer yet.

also

i miss the days of different goalie cages.

Rogalski should be gone .. too many seasons of failure. It's never one guys fault, but he seems to be given the benefit of the doubt too often. It's been a failure .. should have canned him and brought someone else in.

i've paid less attention to the finer aspects of hockey coaching and developing players and and all that stuff the older i get so i have to ask. what is the goalie coach going to try and implement and teach our two middle 30 year old nhl seasoned veteran goalies? or even what exactly is a goalie coach doing with these two veterans that they need "coaching"? like is it a film thing they go over before a game like scouting players? or physical movements in the crease?

Reactions: mdj12784

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It looks like Keefe didnt hire his guys mostly. May be he will work a year with actual assistant coaches and will stay with coaches he likes and will hire new ones instead of coaches he will not like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad