Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Any chance the Devils look to Jay Woodcroft as another head for the staff? Doesnt even have to be a bench opportunity, per say; though we dont have an Associate coach (but hed likely have a position if that were the case and idt thatll happen)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any chance the Devils look to Jay Woodcroft as another head for the staff? Doesnt even have to be a bench opportunity, per say; though we dont have an Associate coach (but hed likely have a position if that were the case and idt thatll happen)
Probably not or it (PROBABLY) would have happened already. Maybe between now and September he'll be in touch with teams and someone will bring him on as an assistant. Maybe he can negotiate for a buyout from Edmonton on what's left of his deal (I'm not sure what's left on it or if they haven't already gave him a buyout) between now and then, so the team that hires him only has to pay him like an assistant and not what the Oilers were paying him last year and what they would be paying him this year.

It feels like sometimes when you're still under contract with your last team (unless you're a HUGE name, Woodcroft is not that at this point, he's only had one head coaching job in the league) sometimes teams don't wanna pay what's owed to you, as they most likely feel you're not worth what the other team is paying you. Certainly not as an assistant. And they don't wanna be on the hook for that.

Much like USELESS who was here last year. He sat out the first full season after he was fired. Though I'm pretty sure he was still under contract with the Canucks last year when he was an associate coach/interim here for a year. I think his contract with them probably ended as of the end of this past season and then Ottawa came knocking.

In the event that we did bring him in as an assistant, it will likely be a one and done like Brunette was. There's a good chance someone hires him in 2025-2026 if the team he's an assistant for in 24-25 has a good season. Especially with more jobs opening up in the next season. There's always new jobs opening up. Perhaps the Oilers roaring back to make it within a win of the cup after he was fired hurts his stock around the league. We'll see if he gets hired somewhere next offseason. There probably weren't enough jobs left this offseason.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Elite hockey name. Dano is sweating
IMG_9421.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't think so. Colliton is an assistant coach but has been a head coach before, and all the roles are already handed out.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Probably not or it (PROBABLY) would have happened already. Maybe between now and September he'll be in touch with teams and someone will bring him on as an assistant. Maybe he can negotiate for a buyout from Edmonton on what's left of his deal (I'm not sure what's left on it or if they haven't already gave him a buyout) between now and then, so the team that hires him only has to pay him like an assistant and not what the Oilers were paying him last year and what they would be paying him this year.

It feels like sometimes when you're still under contract with your last team (unless you're a HUGE name, Woodcroft is not that at this point, he's only had one head coaching job in the league) sometimes teams don't wanna pay what's owed to you, as they most likely feel you're not worth what the other team is paying you. Certainly not as an assistant. And they don't wanna be on the hook for that.

Much like USELESS who was here last year. He sat out the first full season after he was fired. Though I'm pretty sure he was still under contract with the Canucks last year when he was an associate coach/interim here for a year. I think his contract with them probably ended as of the end of this past season and then Ottawa came knocking.

In the event that we did bring him in as an assistant, it will likely be a one and done like Brunette was. There's a good chance someone hires him in 2025-2026 if the team he's an assistant for in 24-25 has a good season. Especially with more jobs opening up in the next season. There's always new jobs opening up. Perhaps the Oilers roaring back to make it within a win of the cup after he was fired hurts his stock around the league. We'll see if he gets hired somewhere next offseason. There probably weren't enough jobs left this offseason.
I don't think so. Colliton is an assistant coach but has been a head coach before, and all the roles are already handed out.
Yeah if anything itd probably have to be some sort of advisory role where hes up in the suite; we have enough heads on the bench. Still not a bad idea for him if there isnt another job that entices

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
WHY CANT WE INVITE CENTERS!?!?!?
Hear Ye! HEar Ye! HEAR ye! H--E--A.--R Y--E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this man need to have a speaker implanted in his brain?????????????

Another F++ CKING LEFT D-MAN??????

A God D---ed. Center. A Center. A Center. Does it have to transmitted from the moon for this man to understand that the farm is desperate for 2 centers?

My head is swelling up to half again it's size from banging it on the wall. My kingdom for a top level #1 CENTER after which we'll settle for anything better than Filip Engaras. Let him serve the role he served last season, a competent #4 when 1 or more of the others are either injured or recalled. Right now he is one of only 4 signed centers.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just stumbled onto a bad field trip idea:

October 24: Devils @ Red Wings
October 25: USNTDP U18s @ Wolverines
October 26: Spartans @ Wolverines (football)

I've been to Ann Arbor a couple times and had a great time. Although definitely was easier on the wallet being able to crash in my friend's guest room and she's since graduated.

Dallas is hosting the U18 worlds next April and I already invited myself over to my other friend's place for the medal games. So maybe that squashes the novelty of seeing the U18s earlier in the season. I've seen a couple games at the Big House and that ticket would probably be more than I should pay as a non-fan.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Meh. Forget about Bratt. Where would Lane Hutson go in a redraft is thr real question. I think he goes ahead of Matthews AINEC.
If we are doing away with age limitations then I’m drafting Hutson’s first born second overall, guy or girl. You can’t ignore genetics this good.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Pretty good take on us from one of our rivals writers:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think keefe/fitz said the staff was set and woodcroft is in the running for the Columbus job if I recall.

I think with keefe stability we are done seeing the ex fresh off of a firing head coach assistant hire

Reactions: My3Sons

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Pretty good take on us from one of our rivals writers:

ehhh. He said Markstrom might be the best goalie in the division, second to only Shesterkin? Sorokin is better too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad