Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nemec is going to play 19-20 minutes a night like Severson
If Luke and Pesce are playing 22/23 and Dougie and Siegenthaler are doing the same it'll be impossible.

He'll be 16/17 minutes with PK if the top 4 are playing that much.

Severson got up that high because he played top 4 minutes got #2 PP and #5PK .... Nemec, if everyone is healthy, won't get top 4 minutes with Pesce and Dougie and won't get nearly the special teams time.

Last edited:

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I could see Luke and Dougie (separate pairs) playing 22 a night, therefore Nemec would be around 18 Id think

Edit: then next year work Nemec into the PP1 a bit over Dougie, rounding out to 20 - climb from there

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If Luke and Pesce are playing 22/23 and Dougie and Siegenthaler are doing the same it'll be impossible.

Severson got up that high because he played top 4 minutes got #2 PP and #5PK .... Nemec, if everyone is healthy, won't get top 4 minutes with Pesce and Dougie and won't get nearly the special teams time.
Dougie has averaged 21:28 as a Devil and is coming off a pec tear. Pesce played 20:17 last year. I expect the pairings to be fairly evenly spread out.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait, why does anyone think Nemec will be in the minors or scratched in favor of Kovacevic?

I get the feeling DeSimone is the one who goes to the minors.

Reactions: Saugus and My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Dougie has averaged 21:28 as a Devil and is coming off a pec tear. Pesce played 20:17 last year. I expect the pairings to be fairly evenly spread out.
We'll see...but I don't think so.

Not anywhere close 20 anyhow.. maybe 18 and change at best.... I don't think he will break 19 minutes though as the 6th and 4th PKer

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Wait, why does anyone think Nemec will be in the minors or scratched in favor of Kovacevic?

Are we worried about losing Hatakka? If not I think DeSimone stays; though odd to give him a one way then if you werent worried about losing Hatakka

Pesce also averaged 22 two seasons ago

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Probably because A) Nemec isn't a big boy while Kovacevic is and B) because of the whole Green scratching him his first game stuff making people paranoid that they want to slow-roll him a bit.

But I agree, chalk is Nemec is playing and this guy's just the Smith replacement.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Certainly would be an imposing defense.

Dougie 6'6 230
Siegenthaler 6-2 218
Luke 6-2 184
Pesce 6-3 208
Dillion 6'4 220
Kovacevic 6'5 223

One for one it makes sense. But really Smith was the 6th and now Nemec is the 6th and Kovacevic the 7th...4th RHD. I'm assuming.

Edit:
I guess Smith would've been the 7th if Dougie was healthy

f***, so many year since paul martin logged minutes... soft as f*** after the last cup

he got his TOI before people scrutinized this shit.

our 1st line D

f*** that.... have some balls as a team. minus bahl it seems

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I am assuming that Nemec will be the 4th PK defensemen behind Pesce Dillon and Siegenthaler.

I am guessing that Hamilton runs PP1 but both Luke and Nemec will likely be on PP2.

So if Nemec is pulling both PP and PK time he can def hit those minute marks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am assuming that Nemec will be the 4th PK defensemen behind Pesce Dillon and Siegenthaler.

I am guessing that Hamilton runs PP1 but both Luke and Nemec will likely be on PP2.

So if Nemec is pulling both PP and PK time he can def hit those minute marks.
Dougie didn't run PP1 when he was healthy last year...now I'm not saying that he wont, but if they knock Luke down to PP2 there's little chance he's sharing that time with anyone...at least not for any significant amount of time.

I don't think you can get to 19 minutes being the 6th defender at ES without heavy special teams.

Will Butcher actually got to 19:16 as the #6 ES.

In 2019 butcher averaged 19:16 with 16:22 of ES ATOI as the #6 and 2:46 of PP time. The other 7 seconds average was PK time.

Dillion will probably come in around 19 minutes as the #5 and top unit PK.

1st unit PK is absolutely going to be Dillon and Pesce

2nd will be Siegenthaler and Nemec.

The #1 PP s going to be Luke/Dougie
The #2 PP is going to be Luke/Dougie

So last year our #4 PKer averaged 1:55...it was Siegenthaler.

In 2023 our number #4 PKer was Smith at 1:35. In 2022 our #4 PKer was Kevin Bahl at 1:00

Our #6 Defender at ES ATOI was Kevin Bahl at 15:32 this year

In 2023 the #6 ES ATOI was Luke Hughes for 2 games at 16:08 then Brendan Smith at 13:55

in 2022 the #6 in ES ATOI was Ty Smith at 16:04

The #6 has been around 16 minutes ES

If you take the highest #4 PKer of the last 3 years it's 1:55 and then take the highest #6 at ES of the last 3 years it's Ty Smith at 16:04...add the two and you have 17:59.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Dougie didn't run PP1 when he was healthy last year...now I'm not saying that he wont, but if they knock Luke down to PP2 there's little chance he's sharing that time with anyone...at least not for any significant amount of time.

I don't think you can get to 19 minutes being the 6th defender at ES without heavy special teams.

In 2019 butcher averaged 19:16 with 16:22 of ES ATOI as the #6 and 2:46 of PP time. The other 7 seconds average was PK time.

In 2023 our number #4 PKer was Smith at 1:35. In 2022 our #4 PKer was Kevin Bahl at 1:00

In 2023 the #6 ES ATOI was Luke Hughes for 2 games at 16:08 then Brendan Smith at 13:55

If you take the highest #4 PKer of the last 3 years it's 1:55 and then take the highest #6 at ES of the last 3 years it's Ty Smith at 16:04...add the two and you have 17:59.

I mean time will tell whether Luke and Hamilton are on PP1 and Nemec is running PP2 or Luke is running PP2 I still think giving then current makeup of the team Nemec is going to be one of the more skilled offensive players on the team and make that PP2.

I guess it really depends on how the set up the power plays.

The other possibility is Dougie is just a shooter and Luke runs PP1 and Nemec runs PP2.

Reactions: JimEIV and Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

If it were my decision, I'd probably have Luke and Simon running PP1 and PP2 and use Dougie in a shooting role off the half boards.

I'm also wondering if Noesen will be on the PP. He seemed to do very well netfront for Carolina.

Reactions: Saugus and JimEIV

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Love to get some rumors of what Fitz is looking at
trade market mostly, from what i've been told, i'm not a first party source by any means but just part of a community that got tipped off on a few things kinda why I haven't been around much in the last cpl yrs. Got tipped off on the Macdermid trade about a half hr before it got announced and was told about Pesce the day before Friedman mentioned it on 32 thoughts 2 weeks ago...and pretty sure I made a Dillon " prediction " here on the boards 3 or so weeks ago. Cpl ppl from here know what I'm talking about I think.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
trade market mostly, from what i've been told, i'm not a first party source by any means but just part of a community that got tipped off on a few things kinda why I haven't been around much in the last cpl yrs. Got tipped off on the Macdermid trade about a half hr before it got announced and was told about Pesce the day before Friedman mentioned it on 32 thoughts 2 weeks ago...and pretty sure I made a Dillon " prediction " here on the boards 3 or so weeks ago. Cpl ppl from here know what I'm talking about I think.
You have any trade targets?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I REALLY would like to sign a couple/few forwards for Utica that are good enough to call up in case of injuries. We now have plenty of depth on D and in goal when players go down (unless we're forced to use like 8 goalies again like we did a few years ago), but we really have nothing backing up the forwards.

Hell, we may have to call up Seamus to play forward if we just lose a couple wings.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are we worried about losing Hatakka? If not I think DeSimone stays; though odd to give him a one way then if you werent worried about losing Hatakka
I don’t think the organization cares much about Hatakka or sees him as more than a depth guy.

It sucks because I like the guy, but it is what it is. He got sent back later last year when he really shouldn’t have been, and the team had nothing to play for anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad