Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oh yeah. big Dustin Byfuglien brining that top shape leadership in Winnipeg. Man, just give it a rest maybe? You're looking a fool on the board here.

That was a KHL coach calling him out, and he got booted from the team btw. Byfuglien was definitely a big boy that also thought talent trumped fitness, and he was right for most of his career until it caught up to him. He could have been a way better player too, but rode that huge talent as far as he could. Who knows though, maybe big buff actually did put the work still into core strength and lots of other stuff. I recall stories that his cardio and endurance were actually great, despite appearances. Everyone has their own body, and how in shape you are to play hockey is something that gets measured pretty accurately now with an array of tests.

I'll do what I please in any case. I think fanboys running to the defense of players like groupies is much lamer. Suddenly ppl are experts on Kane's fitness his whole career and equate their eye test body fat measurement guess to sports performance fitness lol.

Anyways, I'll hear the quotes for myself.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like Vinny only started to struggle when he was moved up to play with Nurse. Ceci and Nurse were just such a disaster that they had to do something. Ceci was fine after being split from Nurse too. Everyone who played with Nurse struggled except randomly Broberg. At this point I’d try and roll that pairing in camp and see if they can get something going. Anything to get Nurse going at this point.
In theory the pairing should be good because they're both rangy players with good skating. Nurse really just needs to dial it in and play within himself. The more he tries to do the worse he becomes, especially on the defensive side of things. Just play a safe game in the defensive zone and he shouldn't struggle like he did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That was a KHL coach calling him out, and he got booted from the team btw. Byfuglien was definitely a big boy that also thought talent trumped fitness, and he was right for most of his career until it caught up to him.

I'll do what I please in any case. I think fanboys running to the defense of players like groupies is much lamer. Suddenly ppl are experts on Kane's fitness his whole career and equate body fat to sports performance fitness lol.

Anyways, I'll hear the quotes for myself.
Dude. You're the one talking about his fitness lol, so you're only describing yourself here. We're not being fanboys for pointing out your astonishing ability to be incorrect, or horribly biased. We're just pointing it out. My goodness it's ridiculous...costing us the cup at the beginning of the season due to him being out of shape....:laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dude. You're the one talking about his fitness lol, so you're only describing yourself here. We're not being fanboys for pointing out your astonishing ability to be incorrect, or horribly biased. We're just pointing it out. My goodness it's ridiculous...costing us the cup at the beginning of the season due to him being out of shape....:laugh:

I did say I want to hear the quotes myself. Just going by what ppl said they heard on the radio shows.

If it's true, then yes, he did cost the team big time and it would make sense why the there was reports of friction through the year, perhaps the sports hernia injury, and why the team would have explored moving on from him. His whole season made little sense in how it went. It's more interesting to me than anything. You seem like you hope he's reading your posts and will be your buddy, offering up nothing but some fanboyisms.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I did say I want to hear the quotes myself. Just going by what ppl said they heard on the radio shows.

If it's true, then yes, he did cost the team big time and it would make sense why the there was reports of friction through the year, perhaps the sports hernia injury, and why the team would have explored moving on from him. His whole season made little sense in how it went. It's more interesting to me than anything. You seem like you hope he's reading your posts and will be your buddy, offering up nothing but some fanboyisms.
WTF are you even on about? His season started out great, and then he was dealing with an ongoing injury. All things considered, he did alright IMO. He does need to take the time to get things fixed and him 100% healthy though. All that can be found with some simple searches online. Your obsession to prove that Kane is habitually out of shape, and your theory that this is what caused the team to lose the cup is silly.

You go on ahead now though, and good luck.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Like I said earlier if Kane came into the season out of shape what the F did the rest of the team do? He had 12 goals and 22 points in the first 25 games and was literally the only guy on the team performing at the start of the year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Like I said earlier if Kane came into the season out of shape what the F did the rest of the team do? He had 12 goals and 22 points in the first 25 games and was literally the only guy on the team performing at the start of the year.

Drai's and McDavid are not good centers to play with? Somehow 3rd worst xGF% even strength on the team those first 25 games. Had some good games though for sure, I don't question his talent level for offense. He's shown why he was a 4th overall pick through his career. The sports hernia is its own issue though. Odds to get one dramatically increase with poor conditioning. Which is why the supposed comments from Gregor and Stauffer piqued my interest.

I like Kane when he's on his game. It's a player this org has been trying to get for years. I feel for him with that horrid injury last year too and wished we gave him more time to recover last season. How this season went still makes no sense.

Last edited:

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Ridiculous. You know what else causes a sports hernia?

Forceful and repetitive hip movements, like twisting, kicking, jumping and cutting/slicing

Guaranteed this "rumor" started because someone just googled what causes a sports hernia, saw the "lack of proper sports conditioning" and ran with it.

Which sounds more likely to be the case in a professional athlete playing ice hockey who's in better shape than 99% of the population?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Oilers and Leon Draisaitl Destined for Split

:monkey:

Sports Illustrated should stick to the swimsuit magazines (aren't those gone?) instead of clickbait nonsense :laugh: How does this poorly reasoned shit get published? "Where will the salary cap space come from?" Have you heard of a thing called trades, son?

Also lol at "That's roughly $40 million invested in six players who have a combined zero championships." Oh, how many teams have half the cap tied up in 6 (or less) players that haven't won the Cup? Hmm...I imagine it's quite a few more than just the Oilers

That leaves Draisaitl in a precarious position. He can take less than his market value and worth to help the Oilers stay in the championship hunt. He can also stand firm and make the Oilers pay him a fair contract or move on and sign a mega-deal elsewhere. Whatever strategy the team pursues, it seems unavoidable that Leon Draisaitl will not be with the Oilers after the 2024-2025 season.

So, the options are: 1) take less than market value 2) get paid with the Oilers 3) apparently somehow get paid a lot more elsewhere

And the conclusion is: options 1 and 2 are not happening, it will be 3 no matter what because random dude that doesn't even have a headshot on Sports Illustrated said so

"Make sure you bookmark Breakaway OnSI for the latest news, exclusive interviews, recruiting coverage, and more!"
giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jackson has already said he will sit down with both Leon and Connor together to get them to talk about what kind of salary structure they want in the future, I think the idea is getting them to agree with each other to take a little less in order to win. He's not just talking to Leon.

The truth of the matter is your life style isn't going to be any different at $105 million vs $100 million especially when you're already extremely wealthy as both of them are.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Jackson has already said he will sit down with both Leon and Connor together to get them to talk about what kind of salary structure they want in the future, I think the idea is getting them to agree with each other to take a little less in order to win. He's not just talking to Leon.

The truth of the matter is your life style isn't going to be any different at $105 million vs $100 million especially when you're already extremely wealthy as both of them are.
I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them both take less than what people are predicting. They just watched a bunch of guys take less to be here to try to win with them, and I think winning is something this group wants more than anything.

I won't be mad either way if they sign for more or less, I'd feel lucky to have these two for their entire careers. But I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with the number.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How is it that we still don’t know if/when/where Gregor said the Kane out of shape thing?

Where was this first even said on HF?

The funny thing is all this arguing is over something Gregor reportedly said, and we all know Gregor is wrong 99 times out of 100, and twice that on Sundays. He has the worst sources in the league. Listening to him get absolutely owned on a biweekly basis by Seravalli is priceless.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Guys like him and Barrie are a tough sell. You need a team who needs that exact skill set that can surround them with enough talent to compliment them. It’s a weird scenario that doesn’t come around too often. The Oilers pre Bouchard were that team for years but it’s not common.
I don't think there not being enough teams with skill to surround them with is the issue at all, like CBJ is a legitimately rather skilled team (a host of other issues keep them from relevancy), I think the issue is those 2 are undersized with average-ish wheels. Undersized offensive d-men that tend to succeed are generally well above average skaters and that enables them to get to pucks quicker, cause their smaller stature generally means they lose a good chunk of 50/50 puck battles.

All of COL, VGK, and FLA prioritize winning puck battles heavily and curtailed their team around those analytics and being a copy cat league teams are following suit and have far less patience for undersized D that aren't solid in puck battles (or getting to pucks first) on top of that both kind of need offensive zone biased deployment to get the best out of them and neither contributes quite enough offense to justify gameplanning around them.

Though I will say B. Montour was pretty awful in BUF right before FLA picked him up and he demonstrated the grit and character to become a bit quicker and harder to manhandle in the tight areas, then his superior skill took over and I will say that I think Boqvist possesses a ton of talent like I think he'd probably be either the 4th or 5th best passer on our team if we signed him, but the complete package of the player doesn't scream winning hockey games at the moment.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Sports Illustrated should stick to the swimsuit magazines (aren't those gone?) instead of clickbait nonsense :laugh: How does this poorly reasoned shit get published? "Where will the salary cap space come from?" Have you heard of a thing called trades, son?

Also lol at "That's roughly $40 million invested in six players who have a combined zero championships." Oh, how many teams have half the cap tied up in 6 (or less) players that haven't won the Cup? Hmm...I imagine it's quite a few more than just the Oilers
I'm sure Skip the Dishes is paying Drai quite handsomely for those commercials which is a Canadian-only company worth 2.5 billion all these rumors are garbage

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The funny thing is all this arguing is over something Gregor reportedly said, and we all know Gregor is wrong 99 times out of 100, and twice that on Sundays. He has the worst sources in the league. Listening to him get absolutely owned on a biweekly basis by Seravalli is priceless.

I listened to that DFO podcast with him and Serevalli for the first time the other day. It was hilarious.

Gregor: "Like who even is the better player between Stamkos and Guentzel?"

*10 seconds of silence*

Serevalli: "Yeah...definitely Guentzel..."

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I feel like Vinny only started to struggle when he was moved up to play with Nurse. Ceci and Nurse were just such a disaster that they had to do something. Ceci was fine after being split from Nurse too. Everyone who played with Nurse struggled except randomly Broberg. At this point I’d try and roll that pairing in camp and see if they can get something going. Anything to get Nurse going at this point.

Kulak-Vinny was a great bottom pair for the entire season. It's really too bad that we couldn't keep Vinny. He was a big part of our PK as well.

Reactions: MessierII

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This is such a smart underrated moved. When you make big decisions like this it so important that the CEO/GM isn't just telling his start players what to sign for. McDavid and Draisaitl need to be part of the decision making process and feel like it's their decision. The collaboration between all three will create more trust and buy-in. I think both guys are smart, realistic guys who understand that the more they take, the less the team has to surround them with talented players that can help them win.

What a great culture. Compare it to Toronto where they are scared to negotiate and talk to their stars as if to offend them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In theory the pairing should be good because they're both rangy players with good skating. Nurse really just needs to dial it in and play within himself. The more he tries to do the worse he becomes, especially on the defensive side of things. Just play a safe game in the defensive zone and he shouldn't struggle like he did.

Mmmm. Totally disagree. He plays his worst trying to do as little as possible. The board dumps and reverses absolutely kill the wingers and his dpartner.

He needs to do more, like skate it outta trouble and make a pass.

In game 7 theres was one play where he picked it clean behind the net and looked to reverse. That play has absolutely decimated them, hence his poor performances. However, you could see he dbl clutched then skated away from the forecheck and made a nice oulet up the middle.

What's hurt him the most is not making more of those

Reactions: Jarvi

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

So, the options are: 1) take less than market value 2) get paid with the Oilers 3) apparently somehow get paid a lot more elsewhere

And the conclusion is: options 1 and 2 are not happening, it will be 3 no matter what because random dude that doesn't even have a headshot on Sports Illustrated said so

"Make sure you bookmark Breakaway OnSI for the latest news, exclusive interviews, recruiting coverage, and more!"
giphy.gif
The article is written by a person based out of Pittsburgh. That’s all we need to know.

It is full of falsehoods and whatnot. Draisaitl took a discount in 2017? IIRC, some were calling it an overpayment at that point, his career best was only 77 points in 82 games. It worked out for us in the end, just like Mack’s deal did for the Avs.

The writer is full of shit. It’s like they can’t fathom the Oilers are creating something special here and only the Penguins are allowed to have a forever dynamic duo. 2026, Draisaitl will be paid more than McDavid. 2027, McDavid will either be paid more or the same as him. The writer is so ignorant.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Do goals scored against non-playoff teams or in November count less or something?
Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you just not see a trend? I believe you’re an accountant right? In your day job- are you not required to see patterns and trends? I’ll break it down for you. The trend is that it shows lack of consistency and a pattern of disappearing when games got more intense. His scoring pattern shows him essentially going on a November heater more so than a consistent goal scorer. He is also having more trouble competing against teams that present greater defensive structure and stronger goaltending.

I’ll use your simplistic take and expand it. McLeod’s playoff performances don’t matter because “regular season counts”, and Nurse is a 9.25M because he scored 29 goals (does that season not count), Ceci is an excellent defenseman because he played 12 good games (same amount of games as in November).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad