Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Looks like Jim got deep into the bourbon. :laugh:

I do agree that Fitz has done a great job reinventing the defense. And this time he has found some real goalies to backstop them. We may actually be good at not giving up shitty goals against this season!

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hes a power forward, thats why everyone loves him
But more of an assist guy, at least this past season.

Fitz has been the anti-Shero tbh, Shero was pretty good with forwards/drafting them but ass with the defensive moves he made and Fitz has been vice versa.
Just realized that with Bahl gone, we are back to zero Shero d-men on the team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am a little puzzled by the Kovacevic acquisition. I don't understand how he fits?

I just assumed Hatakka would be our 7th...But I guess it's going to have to be Kovacevic?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I am a little puzzled by the Kovacevic acquisition. I don't understand how he fits?

I just assumed Hatakka would be our 7th...But I guess it's going to have to be Kovacevic?

I think all the d injuries last season and how poor our depth was spooked the shit out of Fitz.

Now we are like 8 or 9 deep with Kocacevic, Desimone, and Hatakka.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Still time for a trade

I thought that was a possibility before they traded Marino, not so much now. But who knows what they are thinking?
I could see them going Siegenthaler-Hamilton, Hughes-Pesce, Dillon-Kovacevic if they send Nemec down. I don't want it to happen but it is an option I suppose.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Most of last season I feel like we carried 8 Defense most of last year. DeSimone is a one way he can probably pass through waivers. Hatakka and Kovacevic will probably be their 7th and 8th Dman would be my guess.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I could see them going Siegenthaler-Hamilton, Hughes-Pesce, Dillon-Kovacevic if they send Nemec down. I don't want it to happen but it is an option I suppose.
Certainly would be an imposing defense.

Dougie 6'6 230
Siegenthaler 6-2 218
Luke 6-2 184
Pesce 6-3 208
Dillion 6'4 220
Kovacevic 6'5 223

I just assumed Pesce, Dillon, Kovacevic would be replacing Marino, Bahl, Smith
One for one it makes sense. But really Smith was the 6th and now Nemec is the 6th and Kovacevic the 7th...4th RHD. I'm assuming.

Edit:
I guess Smith would've been the 7th if Dougie was healthy

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I’m pretty sure keefe carried a lot of d-men in Toronto as well
Could very well be that they don’t want Desmond to step in and saw an upgrade there and also could be they don’t want mcdoofus to play D if injuries occur

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Would the goal be to piss off a franchise player or to make the team much worse?
I'm not sure it would make the team worse... obviously Nemec is far superior to Kovacevic but we are talking about #6 Dman minutes here.

Dougie's pair and Pesce's pair are no doubt going to come in around 17/18 minutes 5v5, 45 total minutes a night for the top 2 pairs (figuring 22 minutes for each)...there won't be a lot of time left for the bottom pair.

Edit: and Kovacevic averaged 2:14 on Montreal's PK last season for #3...so with that and being 6'5 I'm going to guess he's a better PKer than Nemec.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
All this extra D, could be a hedge also if something goes wrong with Dougie's recovery. I mean, I hope to God he is like at least 90% the same player he was before that injury and surgery.

We all do, but only this coming season will prove we got the same awesome Dougie back.

Thankfully Nemec and Luke are a year older too. I can't wait to see both those guys this season to see what types of steps forward they made since April.

I mean there is no true way to replace Dougie so hopefully this guy is as good as new again.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure it would make the team worse... obviously Nemec is far superior to Kovacevic but we are talking about #6 Dman minutes here.

Dougie's pair and Pesce's pair are no doubt going to come in around 17/18 minutes 5v5, 45 total minutes a night for the top 2 pairs (figuring 22 minutes for each)...there won't be a lot of time left for the bottom pair.

Edit: and Kovacevic averaged 2:14 on Montreal's PK last season for #3...so with that and being 6'5 I'm going to guess he's a better PKer than Nemec.
Nemec is going to play 19-20 minutes a night like Severson did on the “3rd pairing” in his final year in NJ. He will not be playing a small role or be sent down in favor of a league minimum player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad