Prospect Info: 2024 Draft, 9th Overall, Zayne Parekh

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I remember getting a student membership for around 300$ 4-5 years ago. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s cheap but it’s definitely a lot less exclusive than it used to be

Miles cheaper than hockey is at least

Reactions: Lunatik

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
His defense definitely needs work but watching a bunch of videos on him his defensive stick seems quality. TJ Brodie defended mostly with his stick too and has had a nice long career with it. Parekh does anticipate really well. The strength and net front battle needs work definitely and so does his willingness to engage physically. Lots of plays where he's too passive on retrievals and down low.
vid below does show he has good gaps and angles when cutting off rushes.

For context, I shot a 79 (round of my life) when I was 18. I had unlimited golf for the summer on a dirt cheap junior membership, so I played pretty much every day and brought my score down like 20 strokes.

If you do something regularly at that age, I think it's much faster and easier to get good than as an adult. Especially if you have high athletic ability in the first place, which he obviously does as an athlete.

I hope his intelligence translates into aggressively pursuing areas where he needs to improve. Could be a very special player for us.

That's pretty good. I don't think I did until I was like 23 or 24. Also depends on the course, most of the City of Calgary ones I would be around 80-85 and if I made a couple putts could easily be in the 70s. But for the private or semi-private clubs with higher slopes it's a different story. I've never gone super hard on golf like some of my buddies tho, usually pretty happy if I get in 15-20 rounds a year.

Reactions: Mitts

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think the thing that turns me off with him is him saying he doesn't need to play defensively.
Like, WTF?
I'm old enough to remember Big Al, and he was also all O when he came into the league, but he learned to be at least OK defensively. And he sure didn't come into the league thinking he'll tell the coaches how he'll play.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I watched a different interview with him, and it sounds like he knows he needs to work on his defense. But what he said was "you're not drafting me for my defensive abilities. You're drafting me for my puck carrying and offensive abilities", and in the same interview he did say he's been working with his coaches on getting better defensively, watching video and replaying scenarios where he could have done something better.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Whaat? Have you ever tried to take a family golfing? Good luck for under $200
Never mind the clubs, holy shat
We have a couple cheap courses in Lethbridge, and it's cheaper to buy used clubs, or some cheap ones on clearance at Walmart or Canadian Tire near the end of summer. I think I got my clubs (new) for $75 on clearance

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Cheap golf sounds good - until you convince yourself a Stealth 2 3 wood, Ping 3 hybrid, SM Vokey Wedges, a Scotty Cameron, and range finder will help you get on tour…

Probably the most frustrating sport that’s easy to throw money at out there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Cheap golf sounds good - until you convince yourself a Stealth 2 3 wood, Ping 3 hybrid, SM Vokey Wedges, a Scotty Cameron, and range finder will help you get on tour…

Probably the most frustrating sport that’s easy to throw money at out there.
IMO fishing would be worse. At least with golf there's usually always going to be one shot you're proud of at the end of the day.

I've been on several fishing trips where at least one person got absolutely nothing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like fishing because I can be alone, outside in the sunshine, and if people come by "sorry I can't talk, I don't want to scare the fish"

Catching dinner is secondary, and in fact prefer not to have the extra work.

An entourage named after golf sounds way cooler than an entourage named after fishing. It's almost action hero like.

Turf, driver, putter and... Sand wedge!

Vs

Line, fly, spoon and tackle box?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
An entourage named after golf sounds way cooler than an entourage named after fishing. It's almost action hero like.

Turf, driver, putter and... Sand wedge!

Vs

Line, fly, spoon and tackle box?
Hook, line, and sinker has a certain ring to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad