Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
They don't have much to work with, term isn't the only issue
Then maybe they dont go with Dillon but instead a forward?

I would rather secure Jack a higher end 3rd line winger for his right side, unless the goal is to play Palat-Hughes-Mercer; then just a right wing for the third line, we dont have one right now right? Bastian is 4RW if anything

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Foote should absolutely go to AHL given he had barely played last season due to injuries.
I think the 13th forward slot should be a center if we are forced to carry MacDermid. Nosek as a 5C is fine. I doubt their is a better 5C available as a free agent market.
I don’t disagree that Foote should I’m just saying it’s extremely unlikely he does. They've had him pencilled in for a while and he’d have to go through waivers.

There should be better options than Nosek who isn’t an NHL calibre player in my opinion.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I wonder if there is a winger we could package some of our 2nd/3rd picks we acquired today for.

Ottawa would likely give away Mathieu Joseph if that floats your boat. Overpaid for a pure bottom 6 role, but he was nearly .5 ppg last year. Given what guys like Jeannot and Mangi got the last few days, getting Joseph for a pretty minimal return isn't awful business even with the slightly bloated AAV. 2 years, 3 million each left on his deal.

For top 6, Ehlers is a rental winger and at the deadline may go for a 2nd & 3rd like Toffoli did, but you'll have probably have to wait for the deadline and hope they are selling, or you'll likely need to overpay now in order to get him, I imagine.

Flyers were shopping Farabee for a while, but I have to imagine he would cost more than that.

Oh, there is the Ross Colton of it all too. Don't think he's returning a first, and futures seems to be what the Avs will need to get if they are moving him for cap purposes.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don’t disagree that Foote should I’m just saying it’s extremely unlikely he does. They've had him pencilled in for a while and he’d have to go through waivers.

There should be better options than Nosek who isn’t an NHL calibre player in my opinion.
I'll take the risk of Foote going through waivers. He isn't a big loss if he got claimed.
Basically the 4th line wings slot is going to be a good training camp battle between Cotter, Bastian, MacDermid, Foote, Beckman. 5 players for 3 positions

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Then maybe they dont go with Dillon but instead a forward?

I would rather secure Jack a higher end 3rd line winger for his right side, unless the goal is to play Palat-Hughes-Mercer; then just a right wing for the third line, we dont have one right now right? Bastian is 4RW if anything

Yea, not sure. Will be interesting offseason

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I'm pretty ok with how our blueline is likely to look come Tuesday.

Forwards is what I'm curious/concerned about
I REALLY would like someone NEXT to Bratt and Jack Hughes who is physical and can put the damn puck in the net when they BOTH are making those passes...

I think this team is close to being complete....want that elite scorer next to Jack Hughes.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'll take the risk of Foote going through waivers. He isn't a big loss.
Basically the 4th line wings slot is going to be a good training camp battle between Cotter, Bastian, MacDermid, Foote, Beckman. 5 players for 3 positions
I don’t disagree with you, I would do the same. I’m just telling you that it’s not gonna happen. He’s pencilled in.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have to have a left and right hand D and both have to be able to kill penalties.

It's an absolute must. Right now our only PKers are Siegenthaler and Nemec...

We lost our #1 PKer in Marino 2:58, #2 in Smith 2:47 and our #4 in Bahl 1:48

Nemec averaged 51 seconds last season.

The whole defense PK unit is gone except for Siegenthaler.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
We have to have a left and right hand D and both have to be able to kill penalties.

The whole PK unit is gone except for Siegenthaler.
We are getting two elite PKers in Pesce & Dillon. Don't have to worry about that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Bratt ($7.875)-Hischier ($7.25)-Meier ($8.8)
Colton ($4) - Hughes ($8)- Mercer ($4)
Palat ($6)- Haula ($3.15)-Amadio ($3)
Cotter ($0.775)- Lazar ($1) - Foote ($0.8)
MacDermid ($1.15), Bastian ($1.35)

Luke ($0.925)- Pesce ($6)
Siegenthaler ($3.4) - Hamilton ($9)
Dillon ($3) - Nemec ($0.918)
Desimone ($0.775)

Markstrom ($4.125)
Allen ($1.925)

Kovalchuk re-capture ($0.25)

that leaves ~$600k in cap space if I did the math right.

Trade one of the (three) 2nds next year for Colton.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

The whole defense PK unit is gone except for Siegenthaler.
I think the whole point is we’re hoping/expecting to get Pesce and Dillon.

I’m not sure why you keep saying this knowing more moves are coming.

Reactions: beekay414

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
1 year, 1 million to Kevin Labanc? Ultimately you just bury he or Bastian I think.

Bratt ($7.875)-Hischier ($7.25)-Meier ($8.8)
Colton ($4) - Hughes ($8)- Mercer ($4)
Palat ($6)- Haula ($3.15)-Amadio ($3)
Cotter ($0.775)- Lazar ($1) - Foote ($0.8)
MacDermid ($1.15), Bastian ($1.35)

Luke ($0.925)- Pesce ($6)
Siegenthaler ($3.4) - Hamilton ($9)
Dillon ($3) - Nemec ($0.918)
Desimone ($0.775)

Markstrom ($4.125)
Allen ($1.925)

Kovalchuk re-capture ($0.25)

that leaves ~$500k in cap space if I did the math right.

Trade one of the (three) 2nds next year for Colton.
I would just bury Bastian in this situation. If someone picks him up on waivers, so be it. He's only got a year left and frankly I don't think that they are going to bring him back, though I could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad