Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The low cost top 6 acquistion gamble to make now is trade a 4th and meh prospect like Roman Schmidt to the Kings for Arthur Kaliyev. The guy we should have drafted in 2019 instead of Nolan Foote.

Another one would be Bobby Brink (another guy we could have drafted in 2019) especially if Tortorella is over him. Acquistion cost would be slightly more expensive but I don't think the Flyers value him as much as they once did.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I don't see how we are a lot better, unless there's still more coming. A little better, yeah. Sergachev made way too much money, but he's still a loss, as was Stamkos. Replacing them with Guentzel and Moser seems like a small win for us, but not a big one. I think we have the potential to be much better still, but as of now I think it's slight.

McDonagh??
Is everyone just forgetting how Stamkos’ skating has been in (further) decline for at least the last couple of years? I don’t need fancy stats to know that his 5v5 numbers and his defense dropped off last season. With his injury history and now the move to a new city/franchise, it might not work quite as well as the Barry Trotz fan club is thinking.

It’s hard to understand what the JBB haters are thinking. He pulled an absolute coup in snagging the No. 1 free agent prize this offseason out from under Carolina. Go ask a Vancouver fan if they’d rather have JBB as their GM lol … they were ready to pounce and sign Guentzel for $11M AAV

They aren’t thinking it’s cringeworthy seeing some of these takes..

In all reality JBB is the best GM in the league rn. 3 Stanley Cup finals.. 2 cup wins. Look at the Hagel Trade.. robbery. Sergachev trade Guentzel signing. The dude wants to win every team in the league would kill to have a GM like him
Anyone wanna bet on the sellout streak ending next year?

People don’t want to watch a better team?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I don't see how we are a lot better, unless there's still more coming. A little better, yeah. Sergachev made way too much money, but he's still a loss, as was Stamkos. Replacing them with Guentzel and Moser seems like a small win for us, but not a big one. I think we have the potential to be much better still, but as of now I think it's slight.
Have to add McDonough to the equation

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Notice the lack of Hedman extension. They were extremely close in terms yesterday, but he wanted to wait to see how the Stamkos situation unfolded.

If he chooses not to sign here because of how his best friend was treated…our window is done.
They reported earlier we would wait a day or two to announce so Hedman would get his spotlight and not be lost in all the fa signings.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Notice the lack of Hedman extension. They were extremely close in terms yesterday, but he wanted to wait to see how the Stamkos situation unfolded.

If he chooses not to sign here because of how his best friend was treated…our window is done.

I don't think that's it, I think the signing is going to wait so it's not seen as overshadowing what just happened Stamkos. He might even be named the new captain, you simply can't do that the same day.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm wondering what the PP looks like. My guess is we move Point to Stamkos's spot, and depend a lot more on puck movement than one-timers. Point doesn't seem to have much of a one-timer, but his retrieval skills would be an improvement. Point-Hedman-Kucherov across the top is pretty dangerous in terms of puck skills. We saw Drouin in that spot once upon a time, and the PP was lethal.

Reactions: Zwui21

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm wondering what the PP looks like. My guess is we move Point to Stamkos's spot, and depend a lot more on puck movement than one-timers. Point doesn't seem to have much of a one-timer, but his retrieval skills would be an improvement. Point-Hedman-Kucherov across the top is pretty dangerous in terms of puck skills. We saw Drouin in that spot once upon a time, and the PP was lethal.
Might need Hagel on PP1

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019

Might be part of "His" plan: seems GM is hellbent on getting rid of Yzerman's fingerprints as much as he can. After this Stamkos episode, been trying to find logic behind such a move and GM's behavior during whole process, This "Yzerman Shadow" issues seems more and more a possibility. Life is funny sometimes: In BriseBios attempt to separate himself from Yzerman's Shadow, he will most likey draw more attention to it from his actions. Pride before the fall baby..... No matter.... done trying to figure out this GM's crap, and after today, he can go elsewhere,

The way GM treated Stamkos is final straw of us, and all the moves in-the-world won't take this one away. No do-overs, GM dropped the ball but did GM even have the ball to begin with? Nope, he did not!!! GM acted in bad faith whole time and the level of disrespect he showed Stamkos & fans is unforgivable. GM straight-up lied to us fans over & over GM word means nothing now, to us or players. He has spent whatever word value he had left as GM. Winning is great, but how one does matters too. What this GM did was so dumb on so many levels, it was wrong, and does more harm to Lightning's brand than anything Stamkos next contract could've done. Even if it went south!!! But believe losing Stamkos makes Lightning less of a team on-the-ice too. Stamkos PP production, face-offs, and intangibles alone was worth contract he was willing to take.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Point is like the best bumper in the league. Hard to imagine him not in that spot.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point is like the best bumper in the league. Hard to imagine him not in that spot.
I don't see it being nearly as effective without Stamkos's one-timer threat. Teams protect against one thing, the other kills them. Stamkos scored 40 because teams were protecting the bumper harder this year. If we don't have Stamkos, Point will be our biggest goal threat on the PP.

He's our best option on the left side. Stamkos had a lot of issues holding pucks in. Point won't. I'm just thinking Stamkos's spot is more important, so we are gonna need somebody good there. I don't see it being Hagel. Maybe Guentzel, but I'm wondering if he ends up in the bumper spot. The main thing keeping Point there is he shoots right.

I think we're gonna need a whole new structure without the one-timer threat.

Reactions: Hoek

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
lol JBB moved out of Yzerman’s shadow when he won the Cup.

Moser plays both sides and even if he anchors the third pair, when we need to hold a lead and close out games I foresee he will be paired with Hedman

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Might be part of "His" plan: seems GM is hellbent on getting rid of Yzerman's fingerprints as much as he can. After this Stamkos episode, been trying to find logic behind such a move and GM's behavior during whole process, This "Yzerman Shadow" issues seems more and more a possibility. Life is funny sometimes: In BriseBios attempt to separate himself from Yzerman's Shadow, he will most likey draw more attention to it from his actions. Pride before the fall baby..... No matter.... done trying to figure out this GM's crap, and after today, he can go elsewhere,

The way GM treated Stamkos is final straw of us, and all the moves in-the-world won't take this one away. No do-overs, GM dropped the ball but did GM even have the ball to begin with? Nope, he did not!!! GM acted in bad faith whole time and the level of disrespect he showed Stamkos & fans is unforgivable. GM straight-up lied to us fans over & over GM word means nothing now, to us or players. He has spent whatever word value he had left as GM. Winning is great, but how one does matters too. What this GM did was so dumb on so many levels, it was wrong, and does more harm to Lightning's brand than anything Stamkos next contract could've done. Even if it went south!!! But believe losing Stamkos makes Lightning less of a team on-the-ice too. Stamkos PP production, face-offs, and intangibles alone was worth contract he was willing to take.
I love what Yzerman did here and think he deserves the lion's share of the credit for both cups, but what you're saying here about shadows etc is just nonsense. Stamkos wasn't even an Yzerman pick.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't see it being nearly as effective without Stamkos's one-timer threat. Teams protect against one thing, the other kills them. Stamkos scored 40 because teams were protecting the bumper harder this year. If we don't have Stamkos, Point will be our biggest goal threat on the PP.

He's our best option on the left side. Stamkos had a lot of issues holding pucks in. Point won't. I'm just thinking Stamkos's spot is more important, so we are gonna need somebody good there. I don't see it being Hagel. Maybe Guentzel, but I'm wondering if he ends up in the bumper spot. The main thing keeping Point there is he shoots right.

Every team ALWAYS overplays the left side to prevent a Stamkos one-timer on the PP. If anything, Stamkos in the left circle provided space for everyone else. Not the other way around. Teams would shade towards Stamkos every PP to the point that they would give the passing lane from Hedman to Kucherov.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

Problem is we need the bumper to be a RH shot too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad