Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I don't think the issue is Holtz here...

It's how the entire off season is shaping up. From the draft to the trades...

Still free agency to come, sure but we have a lot to build back and that needed to start with a bang. It hasn't.

They’ve subtracted Ruff and Green and added Keefe and Markstrom. They’ve added a unicorn D prospect in Silayev and another touted G prospect.

Theyve worked some cap space to try and reorient the D grouping. F is a wait and see but they do have Bratt, Palat, Mercer, Meier out there. It is not a barren wasteland and Fitz is making changes, not sitting on his hands.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think the belief is that he wants to go home (from Alberta), though I think he grew up an Oilers fan
Who want to join a team that everyone’s leaving while they’re slowly but reluctantly pushed towards a full rebuild that they’re still trying to call a retool. Might be the worse place you could go to in the league right now.

Reactions: My3Sons and Forge

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think the top six is going to be duos of Hischier, Bratt, Meier, and Hughes with a complimentary forward as the third, whether that’s Palat, Haula, Mercer or additional forwards.

I’m assuming the narrative will be that’s good enough for a playoff team and additional scoring can always be found at the deadline.
The problem is the duo's are missing major elements... like size, interior presence, board work, toughness...so the 3rd guy is more critical right now in my opinion.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Remember Fitz's reported shopping list of needing 'a top six forward, a bottom six forward, a top four defenseman, a bottom four defenseman and a goalie'?

So far:

Top six foward - ?
Botttom six forward - Cotter
Top four defenseman - Pesce?
Bottom four defenseman - Dillon?
Goalie - Markstrom

Seems like he's on track for at least 4 of 5 so far lol

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
"In the vision we have to build our roster that I’ve talked about since the end of last season, we want a different looking bottom six. Paul Cotter fills that with his skating, speed, and physicality," general manager Tom Fitzgerald said following the trade, "We are betting on Cotter’s upside, and he’s just scratched the surface of what he can do. With that being said, we have to give up to get a Cotter, and Holtz would have been the odd man out in our bottom six group."

Reactions: Saugus

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The problem is the duo's are missing major elements... like size, interior presence, board work, toughness...so the 3rd guy is more critical right now in my opinion.

I actually don't disagree with this, which is why I was a proponent of going after Ross Colton. You don't have to have true top 6 talents across your top 6, sometimes its the line make up and chemistry.

Palat can do some of what you're asking for, but I think the actual production is on a downward trajectory. I don't think he's scoring 25 attached to someoneo like Jack. I actually wouldn't rule out Colton potting 25 next to Jack though

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

kiwidevil

The high end talent core is already there on the fwds and the d core, which is the hardest thing to find. Nows the time to complete the puzzle and find a balance.

It's always going to feel like an overpayment or selling low at times as you're not just grabbing ski assets as BPA's, you're changing to acquiring needs to complete the puzzle. So you may need to pay 'extra' to get the right shaped piece. It may also mean giving up on a player regardless of draft position.

It sounds primitive, but we need grit, we need to defend and we need players to drag our team into the fight.

Right or wrong. Doesn't look like we'll fade away without trying to complete the puzzle.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Remember Fitz's reported shopping list of needing 'a top six forward, a bottom six forward, a top four defenseman, a bottom four defenseman and a goalie'?

So far:

Top six foward - ?
Botttom six forward - Cotter
Top four defenseman - Pesce?
Bottom four defenseman - Dillon?
Goalie - Markstrom

Seems like he's on track for at least 4 of 5 so far lol
what top 6 forwards are available in free agency? a player like stamkos would be awesome but I dont see him coming here.

with the way Fitz has obviously prioritized size, maybe someone like Mantha makes sense? I could also see Beauvillier getting a contract with us for bottom 6 purposes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They’ve subtracted Ruff and Green and added Keefe and Markstrom. They’ve added a unicorn D prospect in Silayev and another touted G prospect.

Theyve worked some cap space to try and reorient the D grouping. F is a wait and see but they do have Bratt, Palat, Mercer, Meier out there. It is not a barren wasteland and Fitz is making changes, not sitting on his hands.
Would you not agree that there is almost nothing you listed that makes the on ice product better?

Coaching can do a lot but you still need players

I'm not going to argue with anyone about the first two picks, even though I am not thrilled but they won't be helping the on ice product for many years.

Reorienting the defense is a perfect description. Its probably going to be a lateral shuffling.

There is nothing in sight that elevates this team . It does not even look like we'll get back to 2023 level.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
what top 6 forwards are available in free agency? a player like stamkos would be awesome but I dont see him coming here.

with the way Fitz has obviously prioritized size, maybe someone like Mantha makes sense? I could also see Beauvillier getting a contract with us for bottom 6 purposes.
Skinner is now a FA, could help us in the playoffs. I just looked through all his playoff tapes and I didn't see him make a single bad play or make a mistake once.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Would not agree that there is almost nothing you listed that makes the on ice product better?

Coaching can do a lot but you still need players

I'm not going to argue with anyone about the first two picks, even though I am not thrilled but they won't be helping the on ice product for many years.

Reorienting the defense is a perfect description. Its probably going to be a lateral shuffling.

There is nothing in sight that elevates this team . It does not even look like we'll get back to 2023 level.

Not going to lie Jim I legit feel like your are never happy or at least rarely happy with much this team ever does in the offseason that’s beyond just this one. Perhaps that’s just your process but you find fault in everything.

It’s overall not fair to judge anything until we see what the rest of the plan is.

We hit camp and have a good idea about the roster then cool poke holes In it. It’s the beginning of the offseason there is obviously going to be holes all teams have them.

I would like to hear what you would to to address those holes mainly because I’m interested in your ideas or what players fill those holes for you.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

If he doesn't get the term he wants, maybe Toffoli lol

I do seem to remember Fitz admitting he wanted to sign him, they just couldn't agree on term last season. To be fair I don't see how he fits unless you repeat the whole Meier at LW insanity though.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
how much would Skinner want to get into playoff position? 1 year deal ... might be worth a try to get him in?

he's no patrick kane but there might be gas in that tank if he has the right momentum ...

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
how much would Skinner want to get into playoff position? 1 year deal ... might be worth a try to get him in?

he's no patrick kane but there might be gas in that tank if he has the right momentum ...
No please. Let the Rangers make those moves. The only guy that I would say is a bad idea but secretly be ok with is Stamkos.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

this is tricky because "top 6" is so nebulous in those who fit the term.

There aren't many true top line talents, and they are going to cost more than we can spend. So really want what we are looking at is a second line guy. So then it's really more a guy that is considered "top 9" or "middle 6", but the labels can be a bit blech. Middle 6 or top 9 doesn't sound nearly as sexy lol

There are a number of those guys available for sure, but always have to be mindful because that's where a lot of the contract grenades are lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad