Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Not to mention you can only have so many shit years with THE GREATEST YOUNG CORE IN THE LEAGUE before people think you’re a clueless hack

Very true, it happened with Florida for years with them supposedly turning the corner. I think the Devils are there but the fine tuning is gonna be so key to turn this roster.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We essentially need to sign 6 more guys to NHL contracts. We currently have 19.8M in cap space.

If 4/6 the signings are Mercer, Foote, Pesce, and Dillon, we should have anywhere from 5.5M - 7.5M in cap space to bring in 2 forwards.
That’s not as much as I would hope to be honest. Debrusk would be a nice add and then you might still have a little room for a half decent bottom 6 add.

Or you could go for 2 cheaper adds. Maybe a guy like Sprong but I don’t see them going for him

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Ok so I think this place is the best place to write this. The moves Fitz has done so far, in terms of maximizing value as a gm, I think he's done a piss poor job. However, he has been filling needs quite well and will help to win now, but if this team doesn't win a cup soon, these moves are gunna look real bad in the future.

If they managed to get Stamkos here....

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ok so I think this place is the best place to write this. The moves Fitz has done so far, in terms of maximizing value as a gm, I think he's done a piss poor job. However, he has been filling needs quite well and will help to win now, but if this team doesn't win a cup soon, these moves are gunna look real bad in the future.
I have no problem with the value today.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

I disagree that he’s filled roster holes well. I feel like the roster make up, especially the defense and forward depth, has progressively plummeted since the 2023 playoffs.

I would take Boqvist over Cotter straight up just as an example.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lots of folks stuck in the 2014-2022 mindset…

This team needs to start making deep runs now. They are making moves to clear space for players who will help facilitate that and fill in roster holes.

Hell, the value from Marino Schmid and Holtz isn’t even bad at all. Two 2nds, a 3rd and a bottom 6 roster need on the cheap is actually good.

The ONLY black eye here is Holtz, and that is due to the #7 pick itself. He is now a reclamation project and has little value. That stings, absolutely. But it was time to cut bait.

Y’all gotta take a breath here, relax. More big moves happening Monday.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think the moves last year, were far worse than this years (If the Devils do get the rumored D).

Our D regressed. We all said it. The rookies were the best defenseman. Marino was good but he got hurt and struggled with bigger guys.

The PK took a step back last year. Fitz tried older 3/4th lines and it didn’t work. Holtz struggled for two years.

They recouped assets, and on paper should be a more cohesive bottom 6, with more defensive depth and a surplus of goalies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not concerned about losing value, I'm concerned that Fitz is getting impatient and has tunnel vision. We're slowly bleeding away talent and replacing it with inferior players because of this need to get tougher to play against.

I'm not convinced the forward group is talented enough, I like the guys we have at the top but the depth we've brought in just isn't good enough. You need 12 good forwards to win the Cup and I feel like the guys we let go are better than than the guys we're bringing in.

I know the plan is that by improving the goaltending and defense the forwards won't need to be as good, but man. That's a pretty hefty gamble to make when you're already years down this path. Tinkering is fine. But I'd rather use a scalpel than a hatchet.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lots of folks stuck in the 2014-2022 mindset…

This team needs to start making deep runs now. They are making moves to clear space for players who will help facilitate that and fill in roster holes.

Hell, the value from Marino Schmid and Holtz isn’t even bad at all. Two 2nds, a 3rd and a bottom 6 roster need on the cheap.

The ONLY black eye here is Holtz, and that is due to the #7 pick itself. He is now a reclamation project and has little value.

Y’all gotta take a breath here.
They couldn't make the playoffs in an Eastern conference that had 6 teams limping to the end for the last spot.

And you're calling for deep runs in the playoffs?

You need to find a magic lantern and hope Gina grants you 3 wishes.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
They couldn't make the playoffs in an Eastern conference that had 6 teams limping to the end for the last spot.

I don’t understand this post.

Staff wants to start being a threat in the postseason.Hence why they are clearing space for new blood, which is what I posted

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Do you expect all our best players to miss 25% or more of the year each season?

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
“Devils need to be better!”

*adds win now coach*
*adds starting goalie*
*clears space on D for two Vet additions in free agency*
*clears space for added forward depth*
*gets good value on Schmid Marino*

“NOT LIKE THAT!!!”​

I don’t understand some of you folks. Still love you nuts

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm not concerned about losing value, I'm concerned that Fitz is getting impatient and has tunnel vision. We're slowly bleeding away talent and replacing it with inferior players because of this need to get tougher to play against.

I'm not convinced the forward group is talented enough, I like the guys we have at the top but the depth we've brought in just isn't good enough. You need 12 good forwards to win the Cup and I feel like the guys we let go are better than than the guys we're bringing in.

I know the plan is that by improving the goaltending and defense the forwards won't need to be as good, but man. That's a pretty hefty gamble to make when you're already years down this path. Tinkering is fine. But I'd rather use a scalpel than a hatchet.
I don’t think that’s the plan. He wants to improve the forwards too but is gonna be a little short on cap space to do so.

I’m not sure this one is at all true. The cap extra cap space and more of what we had gets immediately sucked up by the D signings. We have less cap space for our forward depth with these moves.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I disagree that he’s filled roster holes well. I feel like the roster make up, especially the defense and forward depth, has progressively plummeted since the 2023 playoffs.

I would take Boqvist over Cotter straight up just as an example.

If you completely ignore what was actually traded....

Markstrom fills a big need in goal
Pesce (almost a lock at this point cuz if not, Fitz should just be fired on the spot) is a better fit for the roster than Marino
Cotter is a good bottom 6 guy who also fills the need for a gritty, physical guy.

If they get Dillon too, that's also an excellent add to fill out the last d-spot and will pair really nicely with Nemec being a defensive d-man.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Was way more worried about the middle six forwards than the D. Really just wanted to sign Dillon and that's it but I guess Fitz's vision is what it is.

I hate the drafting past the first or second rounds, though. That's way more troublesome. Not getting ELC contributors 3-4 years from now will be a problem.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don’t understand this post.

Staff wants to start being a threat in the postseason.Hence why they are clearing space for new blood, which is what I posted

I think the idea that we are anywhere near being Cup contending team is a ludicrous thought.

Some old Dmen and a random forward, if we lucky isn't getting us from tied for the 8th worst record to cup contenders in an off season. Is what I was trying to say.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
“Devils need to be better!”

*adds win now coach*
*adds starting goalie*
*clears space on D for two Vet D additions in free agency*
*gets good value on Schmid Marino*

“NOT LIKE THAT!!!”​

I don’t understand some of you folks. Still love you nuts
Some people need things to bitch about to be a contributor to the forum

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think the idea that we are anywhere near being Cup contending team is a ludicrous thought.

Some old Dmen and a random forward, if we lucky isn't getting us from tied for the 8th worst record to cup contenders in an off season. Is what I was trying to say.
Well staff is obviously making the moves to take the next step in their eyes, and in the eyes of many hockey fans. That is indisputable.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I hate the drafting past the first or second rounds, though. That's way more troublesome. Not getting ELC contributors 3-4 years from now will be a problem.
Ya this is the one thing I’m pissed off about today. Content with everything else but slightly concerned with what they’ll be able to add to our middle 6

Reactions: NJDevs26 and Oneiro

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Apparently Cotter can wheel? Good

Some people need things to bitch about to be a contributor to the forum
IMG_6904.gif

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

If we signed stamkos to a short term deal I would be extremely happy with trading holtz for cotter. I heard Tampa cleared the cap space to go after guentzel. Stammer is basically the sniper we wished holtz could become for Jack or Nico

Hopefully tomorrow is a good day for the devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad