Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Wonder if they flip picks for Colton but I think Colorado wants/needs roster players so not sure a trade is there
Colton would really round out our bottom 6 and give me a lot more comfort going into the year. Right now, Haula is the only one in the bottom 6 who can move up to second line, even first line wing duties. I wish I could say the same about Palat but based off of last year I dont see it happening...

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Colton would really round out our bottom 6 and give me a lot more comfort going into the year. Right now, Haula is the only one in the bottom 6 who can move up to second line, even first line wing duties. I wish I could say the same about Palat but based off of last year I dont see it happening...

It's gonna be Pesce/Dillon and then 2 forwards or one big top 6 forward + bottom 6 adds. Very interested to see what Fitz does.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
yay a 33 year old left dman that is on the decline and Pesce, who is better than Marino at one thing that Marino was good at until last year who is 2 years older than Marino and is going to cost way more! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Tom is making this team less skilled and way slower, which does not play to the strengths of our best players. He stupidly thinks the teams issue last year was size and toughness when it was a lack of skill and speed in the bottom six and the defense lacked skill and couldn't break out.

The guy he should've shipped off in Siegenthaler cant stay healthy and has been declining hard after two good years here to start his career as a devil.
You need both, you can’t have only skill or only size. Our best players have skill in abundance but no size so it’s not a shock he’s trying to perhaps overcompensate by filling in role players with beef around them.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
You need both, you can’t have only skill or only size. Our best players have skill in abundance but no size so it’s not a shock he’s trying to perhaps overcompensate by filling in role players with beef around them.
We do not have enough skill, at all. It was clear last year.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Our unhealthy top 6 score in bunches (top half), the core is signed, and they made the second round.

The story coming out of the playoffs. The Panther’s gave away everything to play up tempo hockey, and it didn’t work. They traded Hubs for Tkachuk, the let Brunette walk and they traded for tough guys like Sam B. It worked.

The NHL’s mandate allows near murder in the playoffs. Headshots, interference, knee on knees, cross checks, with minimal PP’s given and rarely a suspension. I would argue embellishment might have been the most called penalty in the early rounds.

The team has the skill, and skill on defense. These guys are the whip cream and sprinkles to our core. There is no need to be bent out of shape.

Also there is not a singular right way to win the cup. Vegas drafts well, but 80% of their picks get traded. They have a cup. Who cares how they got it. People thought Tampa was nuts for giving 1st+ for 3rd liners. Well it worked.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's just kind of strange to see Fitz spend years talking about patience and playing the long game, and then suddenly take a hatchet to the roster and start flipping everyone that has a bad season.
That ‘extension’ he signed must have been very short term. Either that or the owners are hearing from the ticket reps they really need a good team this year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's just kind of strange to see Fitz spend years talking about patience and playing the long game, and then suddenly take a hatchet to the roster and start flipping everyone that has a bad season.

I guess he must have thought it worked out great for the rags. Why not give it a shot across the river?

I don't mind trading Holtz and Schmid. Or even Marino. I just would have hoped something of value was coming back.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Adding two physical players in Cotter and potentially Dillon and Pesce, who is not physical but hopefully he ages well with his style.

Think we probably need a top 9 forward (preferable right handed) and a 4th line C. Perhaps someone like Trenin for the C.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

A GM can only be so patient before they lose their job

He knows the focus is on him, he lost the Lindy and goalie excuse

Let’s be honest, despite the extension if the team isn’t contending next year he gets the axe.

You can not go from one of the best season in the history of the Devils to two seasons without the playoffs.

He has his core locked up and he has 2 of his best Dman on cheap deals right now. Strike while the iron is hot. I do agree the Devils not making the playoffs this year very likely spells doom for Fitz.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I guess he must have thought it worked out great for the rags. Why not give it a shot across the river?

I don't mind trading Holtz and Schmid. Or even Marino. I just would have hoped something of value was coming back.

Two Second Round Picks, a Third Round Pick, and an NHL player is pretty good.

Go look at some of the most recent players that have been traded for 2 seconds.

Those two seconds could be flipped for players as well which should be of value.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad