Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
GOH56uiXcAAaFxc

Maybe he’s a cap casualty? His NTC kicks in in 25-26. They added McD’s salary and still want to bring back Stamkos. I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

That would be a really expensive 3rd liner

Reactions: My3Sons

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Personally, I wouldn’t give up 10 for Cirelli (because I can hopefully sign Stephenson for just $$$). If we have a sense Stephenson will sign with us, then I’m tempted to just use the pick. Stephenson and Dillon might be all we need. No goalie is worth #10
I'm tempted to agree with you, but I'm not so sure. Cirelli is a step up in quality from Stephenson in my eyes and fits better from an age perspective. He may still have his best year in him which is almost certainly not the case for Stephenson.

I'm fairly confident I've watched more of Stephenson than anyone else here over the last few years and I just think he's starting to get overrated around here. If we could get him for 3-4 years under $5 million then great, but I think he's going to end up closer to the Palat contract. Centers are hard to come by and someone is going to be willing to pay him to be a 2nd line center.

Cirelli doesn't have quite the offensive game of Stephenson, but he is better defensively and needs less help from his line mates to be a good player. I'd be happy to sign Stephenson on a reasonable deal, but I wouldn't let the chance at signing Stephenson prevent me from trading for Cirelli if he was actually available. Though I don't think he will be so the point is relatively moot.

My ideal forward additions this offseason are still Foegele + Henrique + competent 4th liner
Foegele-Hischier-Meier
Henrique-Hughes-Bratt
Palat-Haula-Mercer
Some Guy-Lazar-Bastian
MacDermid, Foote

Assuming Holtz is gone and we don't make any major additions to the overall D cap hit, it's doable and that takes us right back to having one of the better forward groups in the league.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I say this once every 10 days now, but when it comes to UFA estimated salaries, remember that we have been operating in a system that assumed a big jump was coming that, because of the COVID pandemic, never happened. Here's an article from March 1, 2020, estimating that the cap will fall between $84M and $88.5M for the 2020-21 season, and it's now May 2024 and the cap still isn't there. Everything signed long-term from January 2019 to January 2020 has assumed that we would be at $90M easily by this point.

Instead, the cap is going to just keep climbing. This will create the incentive to sign players for as long as possible. In the NBA, they once had cap jumps so big that long-term deals signed in a particular offseason just did not matter by the time they were about to expire - the cap went from 58 million to 99 million between July 2013 and July 2017. The NHL will not get to an 80+% increase because of the safeguards they have in play, but it could be close if things stay on the track they're on.

That's a long way of saying that I do not think Chandler Stephenson will get anything close to a 3 year deal or $5m per, he will get significantly more of both.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Garrioch likes to spew off a lot of stuff. I don't put much into that. 'Hey, let me take the teams everyone knows is looking for goaltending and link them to Ullmark'. He prob knows some Sens info, but aside from that I am skeptical. Not saying NJ hasn't checked in on Ullmark, but I just don't really have a lot of time for Garrioch rumors.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Garrioch likes to spew off a lot of stuff. I don't put much into that. 'Hey, let me take the teams everyone knows is looking for goaltending and link them to Ullmark'. He prob knows some Sens info, but aside from that I am skeptical. Not saying NJ hasn't checked in on Ullmark, but I just don't really have a lot of time for Garrioch rumors.
Wasn't it reported that Ullmark refused a trade out west at the TDL? Frankly, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go to NJ last season at the TDL from what was a much better Boston team.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
I question Ullmarks mental makeup. Can that guy handle pressure situations? He seems to turn into Vanacek come playoff time...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wasn't it reported that Ullmark refused a trade out west at the TDL? Frankly, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to go to NJ last season at the TDL from what was a much better Boston team.

Linus Ullmark expressed reservations about being moved before the March 8 trade deadline, primarily because an in-season deal might have required him to uproot his family, according to a source close to the Boston Bruins goaltender. The 30-year-old and his wife, Moa, have two school-aged children, Harry and Lily. Destination was not necessarily Ullmark’s concern.

Whether Ullmark would feel the same way about an offseason trade is unknown. Being traded in the summer would give Ullmark and his wife time to find a home and get their children settled in a new school by the start of the 2024-25 academic year.

Before the deadline, Ullmark voiced his concerns to Patrice Bergeron. Ullmark said it gave him comfort to speak to the former captain about his situation.

“I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him and his family,” Bergeron said at the time of Ullmark being in trade conversation. “He’s got kids enrolled in school. I’m sure his head was spinning. If it was going to happen, it’s like, ‘OK, what do I do? My kids are in school. My wife is here.’”

Thought I saw Frank Seravalli mention again recently that Ullmark blocked a deal to LA. Might not have necessarily been a hockey decision as much a family decision. That recent Athletic article seems to think that Ullmark might be more open to a deal this summer since it would be slightly easier to deal with the logistics of moving with kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad