Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We do need to replace Toffoli

newark-new-jersey-yegor-sharangovich-of-the-new-jersey-devils-celebrates-his-second-period.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Meier was not played on RW much at all this season. I am not sure where people are getting this idea that he was moved.

Toffoli does need to be replaced because Meier and Hughes do not play well together and should never be on the same line. Now maybe that means Mercer and Hughes play together all the time, they have excellent results, but then who's their LW?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We do need to replace Toffoli
In what sense?

A goal scorer? A RW? Maybe just a top 6 guy?

Meier does replace him on the PP.

Can we say Mercer replaces him in the top 6? I guess. Does a team need all 6 guys in the top 6 to have high end offensive skill? I'd say no.

A guy with speed and physicality is a priority for me. Which is very different then the player Toffoli is.

And I hold out some hope that if Holtz is brought back, he takes another step towards being a guy you can play some bigger minutes.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
In what sense?

A goal scorer? A RW? Maybe just a top 6 guy?

Meier does replace him on the PP.

Can we say Mercer replaces him in the top 6? I guess. Does a team need all 6 guys in the top 6 to have high end offensive skill? I'd say no.

A guy with speed and physicality is a priority for me. Which is very different then the player Toffoli is.

And I hold out some hope that if Holtz is brought back, he takes another step towards being a guy you can play some bigger minutes.
I agree with adding speed and physicality. We need more depth and better bottom six pieces. If we go into the year with Palat and Mercer in top 6 roles and then look to make additions later in the year to push one of them down (i.e., trade deadline), that would be fine from my perspective.

Holtz, I'm ready to move on from, but he probably does not have much value He probably has to be in a top 9, if not top 6 role to be effective but I just can't seem him being an effect post-season player unless he improves significantly.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I like him, but I'm just not sure where he fits in. I'm not sure he's going to be good enough defensively to be on Nico's line, who regularly goes against other team's top lines, and I feel like jack needs a more physical wing, especially if he ends up with Bratt as his other wing, which is a distinct possibility.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The Devils can use Toffoli. Having a extra 30 goal scorer never hurts.

But a what cost, at what term?

The other issue (which Toffoli got blamed for) is Toffoli’s usage. When the the lines or PP needed to change, Ruff refused to movie Toffoli, even when it was a hindrance to other players. It felt like he got star treatment (maybe in hopes of a discount), when he is a roll player on the Devils.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree with adding speed and physicality. We need more depth and better bottom six pieces. If we go into the year with Palat and Mercer in top 6 roles and then look to make additions later in the year to push one of them down (i.e., trade deadline), that would be fine from my perspective.

Holtz, I'm ready to move on from, but he probably does not have much value He probably has to be in a top 9, if not top 6 role to be effective but I just can't seem him being an effect post-season player unless he improves significantly.
Ya, and I think we can add that speed and physicality to the third line, and bump a guy like Palat up. I've mentioned Coleman a couple times, maybe that's not realistic, but he is the prototype.

I like him, but I'm just not sure where he fits in. I'm not sure he's going to be good enough defensively to be on Nico's line, who regularly goes against other team's top lines, and I feel like jack needs a more physical wing, especially if he ends up with Bratt as his other wing, which is a distinct possibility.
My hopes on Holtz is he continues to improve. I thought he took a big step last year to this year. It wasn't enough, but a big step nonetheless. Question now is, can he take another big step.

Interestingly with Holtz is, in addition to the defense and the board battles, he really lacks in skating and creating with the puck. Yes he can shoot, yes he can make some passes, but I imagine his exit's and entries are terrible. Rarely does much in zone either in this regard.

So while I thought he was noticeably skating more trying to get after the play, especially on the forecheck, I don't think his skating was evident with the puck on his stick. I'd highlight that as an area of potential improvement.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
People also need to keep in mind that basically no team has 6 legitimate top 6 forwards. The Devils unquestionably have 4. If Mercer can bounce back, that would technically be 5.

I know it is kind of semantics, but I think one middle six and one bottom 6 forward in FA/trade will suffice. Like, if we could sign a Debrusk and a Joshua? That would round out the forward corps nicely.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Ya, and I think we can add that speed and physicality to the third line, and bump a guy like Palat up. I've mentioned Coleman a couple times, maybe that's not realistic, but he is the prototype.

My hopes on Holtz is he continues to improve. I thought he took a big step last year to this year. It wasn't enough, but a big step nonetheless. Question now is, can he take another big step.

Interestingly with Holtz is, in addition to the defense and the board battles, he really lacks in skating and creating with the puck. Yes he can shoot, yes he can make some passes, but I imagine his exit's and entries are terrible. Rarely does much in zone either in this regard.

So while I thought he was noticeably skating more trying to get after the play, especially on the forecheck, I don't think his skating was evident with the puck on his stick. I'd highlight that as an area of potential improvement.

Exit's yes, entires not nearly as problematic - not surprising because he skates OK once he gets moving but the first step is an issue which causes issues separating in the DZ. His zone entries were very productive for the Devils this season, the below average controlled entry was likely caused by all the dumping of the puck while playing those 4th line min but his zone entries lead to scoring chances at the 5th highest rate on the team.

Exits are likely to make or break him moving forward - if he can get closer to average then it would likely help his defensive results and firmly keep him in an NHL regular role.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10.58.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10.58.52 AM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 2

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
People also need to keep in mind that basically no team has 6 legitimate top 6 forwards. The Devils unquestionably have 4. If Mercer can bounce back, that would technically be 5.

I know it is kind of semantics, but I think one middle six and one bottom 6 forward in FA/trade will suffice. Like, if we could sign a Debrusk and a Joshua? That would round out the forward corps nicely.
I'm wary of Joshua. Scored goals in the reg season and playoffs. Big physical guy. He likely get's paid pretty big. Someone posted his edge stats and he was uber slow. Don't like that combo.

He may be #good

At the very least it makes it easy, almost necessary actually, to include Schmid in a goalie upgrade trade.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm wary of Joshua. Scored goals in the reg season and playoffs. Big physical guy. He likely get's paid pretty big. Someone posted his edge stats and he was uber slow. Don't like that combo.

At the very least it makes it easy, almost necessary actually, to include Schmid in a goalie upgrade trade.

fair enough, just using him as an example. But I think that if we were able to get 2 guys of that caliber, the forward corps would be rounded out perfectly. I think a guy like Foegele or Debrusk would be great wingers for Jack.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
fair enough, just using him as an example. But I think that if we were able to get 2 guys of that caliber, the forward corps would be rounded out perfectly. I think a guy like Foegele or Debrusk would be great wingers for Jack.
I really like Debrusk, think he'd be a great fit. Hope he doesn't cost too much. And hey if Joshua doesn't cost too much, I'd get over the fact that he's slow. Would like to add some speed elsewhere though to offset that.

But we target guys like this for some pretty obvious reasons, and unfortunately for us, those reasons will drive their prices up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I was thinking just last night they're likely going to have to trade one of these goalies this offseason, can't have three of them clogging up the AHL, they're all too good for the ECHL at this point and Fitz doesn't seem to want any of them in the NHL this year.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don’t think it would work capwise w/ an extension or asset wise but Buchnevich is exactly the player we could use. Does everything and can play a retrieval game and get the puck back for Jack.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Wont DeBrusk just re-sign in Boston?

They only have Pasta and Zacha with multiple years left at forward.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I really like Debrusk, think he'd be a great fit. Hope he doesn't cost too much.
I think we are at the point of the year where we will start hearing about evolving hockey's contract projections, which are usually pretty good with regards to overall accuracy.

Haven't seen one for debrusk yet, but I'm just going to throw a dart and say something in the high 5's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad