Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The league minimum has not gone up in a decade; it is not surprising to me that the league minimum is basically reserved for guys on 2 way deals or who may otherwise be sent to the AHL. NHLers who are on a roster all year and not on an ELC tend to make 7 figures now..

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If he's going to be that most of the time why give him three years at anything more than league minimum?
Why not? Everyone has explained multiple times why it doesn't matter. Outside of people being worried about Fitz's "mindset" going forward I haven't heard any reason to really be bothered by this at all. If we get a coach who knows what's best for the team and Fitz does what he can to add more depth to the team, what does it matter if his contract is 1 year or 7? What's the downside?

I need someone to give me some reason that makes some sort of sense about why or how this will hurt the team going forward. I'm open to being upset, I love being mad, just give me something.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Why not? Everyone has explained multiple times why it doesn't matter. Outside of people being worried about Fitz's "mindset" going forward I haven't heard any reason to really be bothered by this at all. If we get a coach who knows what's best for the team and Fitz does what he can to add more depth to the team, what does it matter if his contract is 1 year or 7? What's the downside?

I need someone to give me some reason that makes some sort of sense about why or how this will hurt the team going forward. I'm open to being upset, I love being mad, just give me something.
I think ultimately it depends on what Fitz accomplishes overall this offseason. If he appropriately addresses the team’s real needs then this will probably be largely forgotten. I think people are concerned that this is a bad sign of the decisions to come from Fitz.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
He can be buried for nothing at all. Not sure why that's a concern. I would say he can pass through waivers but Anaheim took Johnston off waivers from the Islanders.

It was pretty clear from the season's end that they were going to re-sign MacDermid. If the locker room likes him, that's enough for me - I don't like it, and I'm not going to like seeing him on the ice, but it does seem like that's a lot of the reason they got him was also off-ice stuff.

My recollection on that was incorrect and you are right - they can bury him noting as the deal min + 375k

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think ultimately it depends on what Fitz accomplishes overall this offseason. If he appropriately addresses the team’s real needs then this will probably be largely forgotten. I think people are concerned that this is a bad sign of the decisions to come from Fitz.
So that's what I'm saying, there is no reason other than people being afraid of Fitz's "mindset." Just seems like a whole lot of worrying and freaking out for something we will never really know outside of psychoanalyzing every move he makes going forward. Which we will do regardless. So carry on.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Warming up to the idea of Keefe, I suppose. Some of you made good points. I just hope he has the balls to challenge a guy like Jack or Bratt when needed.

Behind acquiring a goalie, I’d allocate everything I possibly could to acquire Brady Tkachuk. Have to think Fitz has at least made calls given all the ties.

I think I’d part with Mercer and Casey no problem. Love Mercer but Tkachuk is on another level. Perhaps something worked around the 10th pick as well. Tkachuk with Jack would be disgusting, and a culture shift in the right direction.

Same. Would even add Holtz if they want him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL Holtz is the first one we'd try to put in a Brady deal and the first one they'd take out wanting Mercer, Casey and the 10th pick, etc.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I still don’t believe the McDermid signing is real because no one made a Confirmed with Link thread.

macdermid.png

now you can move on to the next stage of grief.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
If MacDermid plays four games and fights Rempe at the start of each game and then twice after that and Rempe doesn't injure anyone because he's in the box the whole game and then thrown out MacDermid will have done his job and it will have been worth it. If Bastian and Siegs don't get head shotted you don't think that's worth anything? What is it was Jack and Bratt being subject to cheap shots? Now, whether the new coach and MacDermid understand that this is his value and what he needs to do is another story. Frankly, you'd think over a million dollars to make sure Rempe is removed from four games would make MacDermid and the Devils organization both happy. He can sit in the press box for the other 78 games.

I potentially disagree. See the above portion of my post. If they see it like I do it makes perfect sense.

If Jack and Bratt (or Luke or Simon) get cheap shotted, we need to score on the PP while one of those guys are in the lockerroom being evaluated for concussion, broken arm, ripped up knee or whatever else. That'll show 'em!

Reactions: Guadana

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
we spent 1/80th of the cap on someone who could punish people for going after our stars. if this is enough to make you lose faith in the gm before we even find a coach then i think you’re just trying to be miserable

I think it's that third year that is making people go OMGWTF

Did we really need to give MacDermid three years?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Jack and Bratt (or Luke or Simon) get cheap shotted, we need to score on the PP while one of those guys are in the lockerroom being evaluated for concussion, broken arm, ripped up knee or whatever else. That'll show 'em!
So NJ trades one PP goal for a top player to miss the rest of that game and who knows how many more? No thanks. I’ll trade major power plays to put the best player on the other team out for the rest of the game and longer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Ross Colton commit some kind of dirty bum rush on one of our players this year? I know he did, I just can't remember who it was.

I wanted him to punted in his skull after that though. I've tuned most of this past season out, it was such a chore that I forgot things that happened.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Alot of talk that COL may need to shed cap space.

Ross Colton for #3 C / Depth anyone !?
I got a feeling that Nichuskin will be banished like the Sharks did to Evander Kane.

I don't know how they'll do it or the legalities of it, but I think it's most definitely obvious they will. I'm sure a lot of the players are pissed after him abruptly getting popped in the middle of a second round playoff series like that.

Now Landeskog.....What is up with him? Will he finally be healthy and play next year after missing TWO FULL SEASONS in a row? Or is at the point where he's just done?

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
So NJ trades one PP goal for a top player to miss the rest of that game and who knows how many more? No thanks. I’ll trade major power plays to put the best player on the other team out for the rest of the game and longer.

Hope you know my post was in jest. A goal or two in exchange for extended time missed because of a cheap shot. Someone needs to explain to me the logic behind this philosophy.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hope you know my post was in jest. A goal or two in exchange for extended time missed because of a cheap shot. Someone needs to explain to me the logic behind this philosophy.
A couple of posters have suggested the way to deter cheap shots is with a good PP. Maybe during the regular season there is some validity to that but now that Marchand has admitted the sociopath strategy is a real thing I think you either you get on the train or the train runs you over.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Doesn't he want a bigger role than the one he has in Carolina? I feel like that was part of his complaint and I'm not sure that gets better in New Jersey

Does it involve Mercer going back the other way of we want necas long term? Or sign necas long term, bridge Mercer short term and cross the Dawson bridge in 2 years and see where we are? Then see if Carolina is interested in something around necas for 10?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

"Lastly, Necas does kind of sound like more of the same in terms of what the Devils already have. A left handed, play-driving playmaker with speed and a knack for scoring on the rush sounds a lot like players such as Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt. "

Left handed? With a picture of him shooting right as the main picture?

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Doesn't he want a bigger role than the one he has in Carolina? I feel like that was part of his complaint and I'm not sure that gets better in New Jersey

Does it involve Mercer going back the other way of we want necas long term? Or sign necas long term, bridge Mercer short term and cross the Dawson bridge in 2 years and see where we are? Then see if Carolina is interested in something around necas for 10?
It's rumored he wants to play center... if he came here he could push Nico down to the 3C role where he belongs /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad