Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
MacDerimid was playing when Siegs got his head elbowed into the third row. He isn’t going to protect anybody and will never be on the ice with Jack, Nico or Bratt.

He’ll have a “code” fight every now and then after one of our guys gets run, that’s about it.
Yeah goons fighting goons doesn't do it for me cause goons are the only ones who have enough rocks in their head to fight each other anyway. And yay the crowd gets juice for three minutes and that's about all we wind up playing the fourth line cause it's got maybe two hockey players on it.

There's only one surefire way for a goon to 'protect' star players...proportional, mutually assured destruction.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Fitz completely jumped the shark because of Rempe the way Drury did because of Tom Wilson.
Completely off topic, but I find it amazing that people use a phrase that refers to an old TV show that most people here aren't even old enough to have seen, and the ones who are old enough probably don't remember.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Still that element of "toughness" is necessary....you don't have to beat anyone up but you do need guys that willing and able to do anything to win.

Watching Bennett and Marchand is the epitome of it. No regular skater on our roster is willing or able to play a game like that and if we find ourselves in that type of game we're pretty much done.
I don’t think so. There is no one way to win in the playoffs, that’s mostly just a silly narrative. You have to have a goalie playing well and a PP that executes at a decent rate. That’s the bulk of what decides who goes home and who advances. Florida had a 3% PP in 21-22 and went home in the 2nd round. 21% last year with a hot Bob and they make a the cup. That was probably more important than the tough guy dick measuring contest.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We DO need a goon around for some games due to this division and the shit NHL player safety awareness. Now, with having said that (oh my), the three years is just odd but it doesn’t hurt the cap or roster management as it’s easily moveable.

So its weird, but also a nothing burger.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don’t think so. There is no one way to win in the playoffs, that’s mostly just a silly narrative. You have to have a goalie playing well and a PP that executes at a decent rate. That’s the bulk of what decides who goes home and who advances. Florida had a 3% PP in 21-22 and went home in the 2nd round. 21% last year with a hot Bob and they make a the cup. That was probably more important than the tough guy dick measuring contest.
Of course.. fundamentals don't change in the playoffs...you still need timely saves, you still need to capitalize on your chances...but Florida also doesn't have to worry about getting run out of the building physically either. Their best players are bulls. They can play the game anyway needed. It's certainly not one or the other, it's the ability to do it all.

We can't even put together some semblance of a physical nasty game. There is literally no one in this lineup that plays with any sort of a mean streak. Not sure how anyone could watch these Eastern playoffs and not see how deficient our team is in the style of game that has been played in these playoffs.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah goons fighting goons doesn't do it for me cause goons are the only ones who have enough rocks in their head to fight each other anyway. And yay the crowd gets juice for three minutes and that's about all we wind up playing the fourth line cause it's got maybe two hockey players on it.

There's only one surefire way for a goon to 'protect' star players...proportional, mutually assured destruction.
That’s an interesting strategy. What would you call such a strategy?

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
The only defense you said at the end is everything. What's the downside of signing him that isn't mitigated by that right there.

If you need him, you got him, if you don't, who cares.

We are still losing cap space, a contract slot, and waiver flexibility - this is not found money just because he can be buried for 400k.

Don’t understand doing it with so much time before FA even opens, who were they bidding against?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Of course.. fundamentals don't change in the playoffs...you still need timely saves, you still need to capitalize on your chances...but Florida also doesn't have to worry about getting run out of the building physically either. Their best players are bulls. They can play the game anyway needed. It's certainly not one or the other, it's the ability to do it all.

We can't even put together some semblance of a physical nasty game. There is literally no one in this lineup that plays with any sort of a mean streak. Not sure how anyone could watch these Eastern playoffs and not see how deficient our team is in the style of game that has been played in these playoffs.
I watched the Rangers play mostly like shit at even strength and not very tough with a good goalie and PP against a team with a ghastly PP and goalie. And I can very easily see the Rangers winning with those same strengths against Florida if they even make it past Boston.

I definitely want to add a guy or two that can play a nastier game, but it’s not some critical component that will decide whether we go anywhere or not. That’s the guy in goal. And I’d add that Timo can **** someone up if he wants to. The guy is a horse.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

If he's going to be that most of the time why give him three years at anything more than league minimum?
The third year is weird. He didn't even give Smith a third year and he's arguably more useful than MacDermid.

It's dumb old school GM stuff, but ultimately rather inconsequential, so I can't really be that bothered by it. Unless it's a symptom of us going full "must add grit!" mode, then we might actually be in trouble.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We are still losing cap space, a contract slot, and waiver flexibility - this is not found money just because he can be buried for 400k.

Don’t understand doing it with so much time before FA even opens, who were they bidding against?
Alright, I'm not that worried or upset about it. You seemed like you were so I gave you plenty of ways and reasons to not be. If are you still upset and bothered by it, there is not much more I can say, and that's ok.

I won't continue to try and convince you it's not a big deal if you truly feel it is.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
If it was a year the last 5 pages wouldn't have happened. The term is the biggest issue albeit probably not a significant one. I do worry that it's a precursor to future poor signings.
Reverting to my prior statement: I both agree and disagree with you.

Good day, Sir.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

He can be buried for nothing at all. Not sure why that's a concern. I would say he can pass through waivers but Anaheim took Johnston off waivers from the Islanders.

It was pretty clear from the season's end that they were going to re-sign MacDermid. If the locker room likes him, that's enough for me - I don't like it, and I'm not going to like seeing him on the ice, but it does seem like that's a lot of the reason they got him was also off-ice stuff.

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
Warming up to the idea of Keefe, I suppose. Some of you made good points. I just hope he has the balls to challenge a guy like Jack or Bratt when needed.

Behind acquiring a goalie, I’d allocate everything I possibly could to acquire Brady Tkachuk. Have to think Fitz has at least made calls given all the ties.

I think I’d part with Mercer and Casey no problem. Love Mercer but Tkachuk is on another level. Perhaps something worked around the 10th pick as well. Tkachuk with Jack would be disgusting, and a culture shift in the right direction.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If he's going to be that most of the time why give him three years at anything more than league minimum?
You’re not dragging me in to a silly debate, I don’t care enough about him getting a deal that can be completely buried if in the AHL. And it’s a shade over league minimum, not a big deal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad