Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The Devils will be fine and Sheldon will figure out what does and doesnt work

Its up to the players to be available and ready. This team can just as quickly sink as it can swim

Prove something this year

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Its simple hockey knowledge that everyone here possesses

Meier and Hughes dont work together; split them up. Weve seen it before and its failed
I don't think it'll work this time either, but I'm not opposed to giving it another go in a new system. If it doesn't work again, just put Timo back with Nico, or try to build a third line with Timo where he can carry the puck as much as he likes to.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Man I swear some of yall talk about the Rangers and their plays more than their own fans do.

howlin' at the moon....

moon.png

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't think it'll work this time either, but I'm not opposed to giving it another go in a new system. If it doesn't work again, just put Timo back with Nico, or try to build a third line with Timo where he can carry the puck as much as he likes to.
I'm trying to remember... Didn't they have good metrics together when Timo first came over? It was a small sample size and Timo was snake bitten as far as shooting percentage goes, but I vaguely recall the numbers being very good.

Reactions: archiemandl

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm trying to remember... Didn't they have good metrics together when Timo first came over? It was a small sample size and Timo was snake bitten as far as shooting percentage goes, but I vaguely recall the numbers being very good.
I don't remember. I get the idea of a Timo/Jack/Bratt line, and in theory if it worked it would be practically unstoppable, but I just don't think there are enough pucks for as much as all three like having it. I'm intrigued by the thought of a Tatar/Nico/Timo line, especially if Tuna can find some of that magic with Nico again.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't remember. I get the idea of a Timo/Jack/Bratt line, and in theory if it worked it would be practically unstoppable, but I just don't think there are enough pucks for as much as all three like having it. I'm intrigued by the thought of a Tatar/Nico/Timo line, especially if Tuna can find some of that magic with Nico again.

I've actually tossed around the idea in my head of COMPLETELY spreading the wealth in the top 9:

Tatar - Hischier - Mercer
Meier - Haula - Bratt
Palat - Hughes - Noesen

The idea being:
1. Jack would do well no matter who he's with. Palat would do board work and Noesen would be a netfront screen/garbage man which he's done very well at on Carolina's PP

2. Bratt would work zone entries and feed Meier's shot and Haula would do the dirty work

3. The Hischier line would hopefully regain its chemistry together.

It's a crazy thought, but I was hoping we'd try something like this in the preseason. Little did I know we would head out to Prague so early and only have 4 real preseason games.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know he shouldn't suffer because who is father is, but I still hate seeing the name Bertuzzi associated with this organization.
Once I looked him up and saw he was born in Vancouver in 2001, I thought it was a pretty safe bet that he is the son of Todd.

And it’s not like his last name is Thompson or Smith. Even the other Bertuzzi that’s currently in the league is Todd’s nephew I believe.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
56% cf and shots for.

5-5 goals.

In the playoffs they were under water in possession metrics but 6-2 goals.

Nico and Meier were dominant in terms of possession in the playoffs, but 0-2 goals.

Then last year Timo was hurt for much of the first half of the year, and Jack hurt much of the 2nd half. In both cases, the players were a shell of themselves. Don't think we can take much from that.

I imagine we will see them together at points this year as lines are always been mixed and matched. And then depending on play, take it from there.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
Are the Devils doing any kind of viewing parties for the first two games? I know it's a Friday afternoon, but I'd bet that some of the bars near the Rock would get a decent crowd for a season opener.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

for me, and i havent dived into the #’s on this, the only true way forward is a Timo - Nico - Bratt line. Timo never plays defense and he won’t need to with how much they’d have the puck. And Nico and Bratt would have a finisher to turn all their possession and passing into goals.

Let the rest of the lines fall as they may. Jack doesn’t need any of them to succeed, he looked like a future superstar with Kuokkanen and Sharangovich on his wings.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man I swear some of yall talk about the Rangers and their plays more than their own fans do.
IMG_1794.jpeg

All for very good reason my friend. The simple fact of the matter is that they have a very strong and cup contending hockey club. And they are only a few miles to the east of us.

Dolan and Drury have built some club over there, and given the NJD fans enough to talk about and envy over there.

Too bad #BlitzFitz have not.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I have never been more excited for a season to start in my life. Last year I was pumped, obviously, but I absolutely loathed Lindy and after being boatraced by carolina I was back on the "Lindy is definitely the coach BEFORE the coach that gets us there". I also despised Vanecek with every ounce of my being and was petrified about goaltending.

I loved the Keef hiring. I loved the commitment to bigger bodies and reliable defenseman. I love that the goaltending position looks like a potential strength rather than a "bigger weakness than anyone else in the league by far".

We're winning the Stanley f***ing Cup this season and I can not WAIT to change my tune the minute the Devils lose a 4-2 regular season game in October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad