Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey guys, I loath to talk about my personal life but I’ve been absent because my Mom recently passed away from Pancreatic Cancer. (And for those who remember Jerry Gigantic, he’s my older brother, so he’s also lost her.)

She had a heart attack in mid-April, had a MRI a week later because she had water in her lungs, and that’s how they discovered she had Stage 4 cancer.

And then she died 4 months later, so as you can imagine it was a very shitty whirlwind of medical catastrophes and struggles with our terrible medical system.

My mom was a pistol, just the best and we were very close, so this the biggest loss I’ve ever experienced.

She did get to attend her 60th Wedding Anniversary party in June while still pretty healthy, so that was good.

Anyway, not saying the Devils owe my family a winning season now, but it would be nice gesture on their part.

Also, I just got home, after spending months at my parents, and immediately got COVID. So that’s nice.
Ugh. Really sorry to hear this and for you and Jerry's loss. I noticed your absence and was assuming it was just because there's really nothing to talk about here in the boring offseason other than the same rehashing of topics. I wish that was the cause.

Again, really sorry to hear, but hope to see you back as a regular from here on out. Hopefully jumping back in over here, as well as some (good) Devils hockey can help ease the pain and loss.

And wishing your covid symptoms a very quick exit.:nod:

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm having trouble keeping up with this thread lol. I've been a bit busy and I'm totally not conditioned to how much the conversation here picks up around camp.

It's good to be back. But we haven't had hardly anything Devils to discuss in 5 months, outside of the draft and UFA for a few days. And that gets talked out real fast.

And after that there's been nothing other than the tragedy with the Gaudreau brothers, which we wish we didn't even have to talk about.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm having trouble keeping up with this thread lol. I've been a bit busy and I'm totally not conditioned to how much the conversation here picks up around camp.

It's good to be back. But we haven't had hardly anything Devils to discuss in 5 months, outside of the draft and UFA for a few days. And that gets talked out real fast.

And after that there's been nothing other than the tragedy with the Gaudreau brothers, which we wish we didn't even have to talk about.

Everyone is hurt and or dead is the current theme.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Hey guys, I loath to talk about my personal life but I’ve been absent because my Mom recently passed away from Pancreatic Cancer. (And for those who remember Jerry Gigantic, he’s my older brother, so he’s also lost her.)

She had a heart attack in mid-April, had a MRI a week later because she had water in her lungs, and that’s how they discovered she had Stage 4 cancer.

And then she died 4 months later, so as you can imagine it was a very shitty whirlwind of medical catastrophes and struggles with our terrible medical system.

My mom was a pistol, just the best and we were very close, so this the biggest loss I’ve ever experienced.

She did get to attend her 60th Wedding Anniversary party in June while still pretty healthy, so that was good.

Anyway, not saying the Devils owe my family a winning season now, but it would be nice gesture on their part.

Also, I just got home, after spending months at my parents, and immediately got COVID. So that’s nice.
Sorry to hear that. All my best to you and your family. JERRY G SHOUTOUT.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
what did pp lines look like?
depositphotos_448750502-stock-photo-yellow-dog-urine-in-fresh.jpg

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

Sorry for your loss. 60th anniversary is a beautiful feat, it gets rarer every day. Im planning on proposing to my GF soon, 60th anniversary, God willing, would mean id be in my 90s!

Devils defs need to have a great season!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m really sorry for your loss. Pancreatic cancer is just awful. My dad was diagnosed with it years ago but thankfully, it was caught extremely early and is being managed well (there’s no sign of it at this point). I wish you the strength to endure what I’m sure is an extremely difficult time.

You are one of the best posters in our community and I look forward to reading your insights. Hang in there!!

That’s great to hear about your dad.

Some outliers can live a lot of years after a diagnosis if it’s caught early like that, so *knock on wood* hopefully he keeps rocking for a long while.

Well, COVID or no COVID, I can’t come back and not drop a lengthy post, I got my rep to think about.
I assume my proof-reading is up to my usual standards (aka ineffectual/non-existent).

A Few General Comments:

1/ If you’re feeling unwell, push for aggressive cancer screening. If you have an older loved one, push them to have them.

2/ Any older women in your life are getting uniquely f***ed by the health system.

They missed every sign of my mom’s heart disease, her faulty heart valve and her cancer. It was all called stress and digestive issues. Wow do they suck with women’s heart disease. The doctors peddling acid reflux medicine to her up to her heart attack can f*** off forever. (I’m being polite here.)

3/ My mom felt like shit for a while, but her health always took a back seat to everything and everyone else, and that caused a bunch of her health problems to fester.

She had an extraordinarily high pain threshold, higher than anyone than I know. That helped her with chronic pain management, but it also helped her ignore a bunch of glaring warning signs. (And the oh no, I mean, I mean, I don’t wanna, but I haven’t and then oh no doctors did the rest *ahem*.)

For example:
My mom had felt like shit for many months.
One day she felt the unusually awful, and dizzy, but still did a light workout and was trying to do a little paper work. My brother called her. He could tell something was wrong and eventually convinced her to call an ambulance.
She had had a heart attack. (Plus a faulty heart valve and stage four pancreatic cancer.)

TLDR
This obviously also applies to all you fellas here too, particularly the older ones. Don’t gut everything thing out. You don’t win any awards for silent stoicism.

If you’re body is sending you message, you need to act on it, often doing more than what the 1st doctor you see tells you to do. (Because the insurance companies often care more about their bottom line than keeping you alive.)

And I realize this, like most advice, is very easy to give, and not remotely easy to do, but take care of yourselves and your loved ones when ya can. *group hug*

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That’s great to hear about your dad.

Some outliers can live a lot of years after a diagnosis if it’s caught early like that, so *knock on wood* hopefully he keeps rocking for a long while.

Well, COVID or no COVID, I can’t come back and not drop a lengthy post, I got my rep to think about.
I assume my proof-reading is up to my usual standards (aka ineffectual/non-existent).

A Few General Comments:

1/ If you’re feeling unwell, push for aggressive cancer screening. If you have an older loved one, push them to have them.

2/ Any older women in your life are getting uniquely f***ed by the health system.

They missed every sign of my mom’s heart disease, her faulty heart valve and her cancer. It was all called stress and digestive issues. Wow do they suck with women’s heart disease. The doctors peddling acid reflux medicine to her up to her heart attack can f*** off forever. (I’m being polite here.)

3/ My mom felt like shit for a while, but her health always took a back seat to everything and everyone else, and that caused a bunch of her health problems to fester.

She had an extraordinarily high pain threshold, higher than anyone than I know. That helped her with chronic pain management, but it also helped her ignore a bunch of glaring warning signs. (And the oh no, I mean, I mean, I don’t wanna, but I haven’t and then oh no doctors did the rest *ahem*.)

For example:
My mom had felt like shit for many months.
One day she felt the unusually awful, and dizzy, but still did a light workout and was trying to do a little paper work. My brother called her. He could tell something was wrong and eventually convinced her to call an ambulance.
She had had a heart attack. (Plus a faulty heart valve and stage four pancreatic cancer.)

TLDR
This obviously also applies to all you fellas here too, particularly the older ones. Don’t gut everything thing out. You don’t win any awards for silent stoicism.

If you’re body is sending you message, you need to act on it, often doing more than what the 1st doctor you see tells you to do. (Because the insurance companies often care more about their bottom line than keeping you alive.)

And I realize this, like most advice, is very easy to give, and not remotely easy to do, but take care of yourselves and your loved ones when ya can. *group hug*
In my anecdotal experience the health system isn’t set up well to treat older folks. Sure if a diagnosis is made they will do what is necessary but they do what they can to avoid looking closely. I don’t think the doctors want to invest in older folks. I saw some similarities in how my mother in law and stepfather have been treated in completely different places and for different specific conditions.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In my anecdotal experience the health system isn’t set up well to treat older folks. Sure if a diagnosis is made they will do what is necessary but they do what they can to avoid looking closely. I don’t think the doctors want to invest in older folks. I saw some similarities in how my mother in law and stepfather have been treated in completely different places and for different specific conditions.
It's not just older ones either. My mom had two bouts with cancer and after the first one had several bouts of dizziness that, after going to the Mayo clinic, they figured out were ministrokes because of tiny clots that were forming near one of her heart valves. It turns out the clots were caused by a drug the local doctors had her on that she didn't need to be on (I believe the exact phrase the doc at Mayo uttered was "Why the hell did they put you on that?"). After going off the drug the clots went away.

Unfortunately during her second bout with it she ended up getting pneumonia and an infection that her weakened immune system just couldn't fight off. It'll be 6 years now in December since she passed. Grief is hard and messy and it'll hit you when you least expect it sometimes (although it might have just been the dumb male in me pushing it down to have it pop up later). It's also when you find out who really cares about you and who is just going through the motions. Between that and politics the last few years I've really been able to narrow down that list.

Reactions: tailfins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad