Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
There is literally nothing to be excited about. We relied so much on mikey we are screwed. I wish the season was over today

Use this as an opportunity to trade for Henrique. Henrique is having a better year than most are aware of.

I'm on the fence about Gibson. His numbers declined the last few years, but they are still better than what we have now. How much of the lower numbers are attributed to the team around him? Would he be a .910 goalie on a team who plays a better structured defense?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Use this as an opportunity to trade for Henrique. Henrique is having a better year than most are aware of.

I'm on the fence about Gibson. His numbers declined the last few years, but they are still better than what we have now. How much of the lower numbers are attributed to the team around him? Would he be a .910 goalie on a team who plays a better structured defense?
If the best we’re gonna get is a .910% goalie for the term and dollars he has left, on top of what it would take to get him? No thanks.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just curious, who are your current targets?
Ullmark, mostly because he has one year left and not a bunch. Maybe Saros? Maybe? He’s not having a great year though.

Boston probably can’t afford both Ullmark and Swayman next year when they have to extend Swayman. Maybe they’ll make it work.

I don’t believe in Gibson at all. I’m pretty sure we’ll be getting the post-2016 Cory Schneider if we pick him up.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Ullmark, mostly because he has one year left and not a bunch. Maybe Saros? Maybe? He’s not having a great year though.

Boston probably can’t afford both Ullmark and Swayman next year when they have to extend Swayman. Maybe they’ll make it work.

I don’t believe in Gibson at all.

I'd love for Ullmark. I was high on him when he was on Buffalo.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd love for Ullmark. I was high on him when he was on Buffalo.
Like I went back and edited.

Gibson will be the post-2016 version of Schneider here. Post-2016 Schneider was a pretty bad goalie. Well, not a pretty bad goalie until 2018. But post-2018 Schneider was as bad as anybody we’ve had since, possibly even worse.

Gibson is no-count.

Besides, some people here would have you believe our defense is terrible and makes every goalie look terrible, so what good is Gibson going to do moving from one bad defense to another? Maintain his .902% or whatever from the last 5 years? At 3 more years left and at over $6 million?

For what it’s worth, at least on moneypuck’s models, Ducks goalies this year have a higher expected save percentage than any Devils goalie.

And Ducks goalies last year had a higher expected save percentage than any Devils goalie this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well, technically not completely true.

Gibson’s expected save percentage this year on moneypuck is the same as Daws and Schmid’s expected save percentage this year.

Vitek’s expected is definitely lower.

Gibson is playing slightly above expected, but it’s been 6 seasons since he did it over an entire season. Odds are that he’s breaking below even by season’s end.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In today's economy? I would 100% take .910 save %.

Problem is Gibson hasn't posted a .910 since 18-19.
Oh, I definitely agree with you there.

I’d take a .900%-.905% for sure. But with 3 years term and at his salary, plus actually having to give them something like a roster player we need, who is probably better than him anyway, adjusted for position? I’ll pass.

And a goalie like Gibson, who is average at best and probably not even average? We’re probably looking at an .895%-.898% goalie on this year’s team.

And it could even be something like .890% or below that with a guy like Gibson.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And a goalie like Gibson, who is average at best and probably not even average? We’re probably looking at an .895%-.898% goalie on this year’s team.

A trade for an established goalie with a consistent save% would be interesting just to see if and how that save% changes.

Would it shock me if Gibson turned into a .910 here? Would be a pleasant surprise but not a shock.

That's my theory with Kahkonen as well. Who is still my lead target.

Reactions: Guadana and kiamde

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Conversely If Gibson came here and posted an .890, which is a career low by a decent stretch, then Ruff is out the door.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
John Gibson isn't saving this team, he's literally Cory Schneider 2.0 before he fell off a cliff at the start of 2018.

We need tacos, now more than ever.

Easily a top 3 food of all time

There is literally nothing to be excited about. We relied so much on mikey we are screwed. I wish the season was over today

Ok, let's relax lmao. This season sucks but there's still plenty of things to be excited for.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Oh, I definitely agree with you there.

I’d take a .900%-.905% for sure. But with 3 years term and at his salary, plus actually having to give them something like a roster player we need, who is probably better than him anyway, adjusted for position? I’ll pass.

I wonder if there’s a chance Gibson could be acquired in a deal including Henrique.

Something where Anaheim can say “hey look we got all these assets for Gibson” when in reality the Devils were paying more for Henrique and confident we could get a Henrique extension this off-season.

Would still 100% need hefty retention on Gibson, partially to make the cap work and just to stomach that contract. Even then it’s debatable, but just a thought.

Aside from Swayman, who will likely cost a ton, I don’t see much out there that interests me even this off-season. Fitzgerald absolutely has to make some move to add a goalie by this off-season or else he’s going to draw some serious ire from the fan base.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I wonder if there’s a chance Gibson could be acquired in a deal including Henrique.

Something where Anaheim can say “hey look we got all these assets for Gibson” when in reality the Devils were paying more for Henrique and confident we could get a Henrique extension this off-season.

Would still 100% need hefty retention on Gibson, partially to make the cap work and just to stomach that contract. Even then it’s debatable, but just a thought.

Aside from Swayman, who will likely cost a ton, I don’t see much out there that interests me even this off-season. Fitzgerald absolutely has to make some move to add a goalie by this off-season or else he’s going to draw some serious ire from the fan base.

Add Saros or Askarov, Nashville isn't keeping both no matter what they say nor will Askarov take a back seat to an extended Saros.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Add Saros or Askarov, Nashville isn't keeping both no matter what they say nor will Askarov take a back seat to an extended Saros.
Askarov is still super young to be hitching the full time wagon to.

Has never played a ton of games in a season either.

Does makes sense to trade Saros, but I do think they need a quality veteran in that tandem.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad