Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Really? I see avs, caps, pens, black hawks, blues and knights won it with average goalies. I see some other teams are doing well it now. And I don’t see big goalie trades. Savior Adin Hill was traded for the fourth round pick.
If those teams had the cap and resources to get a top goaltender, they would.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It’s tough to advocate unloading the top of a thin prospect pool to try to scramble into the bottom end of the playoffs. Maybe when Jack comes back if they do go on a heater it won’t seem so pie in the sky.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
With Casey and 24 1st being at all time highs for value and Saros being on the relative cheap, I’m finally pro trade for him. With Hatakka looking quite good and Nemec, Hughes and Hamilton owning the PP the next 5 to 10 years what value does Casey bring to the team? A Sam Girard type?
You could make a legitimate argument for trading Hamilton and giving Miller a small extension. We’d probably have to retain a little bit to get any real value, but our cap situation would become much more flexible, plus a spot for Casey opens.

Dougie should still be good for the next couple years and I’m fine with keeping him, but this should be something Fitz considers.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_1682.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
With Casey and 24 1st being at all time highs for value and Saros being on the relative cheap, I’m finally pro trade for him. With Hatakka looking quite good and Nemec, Hughes and Hamilton owning the PP the next 5 to 10 years what value does Casey bring to the team? A Sam Girard type?

Trading Hamilton is a much better solution than this. Casey's not at an all-time high for value - he's still just 2 years removed from being a 2nd round pick, it is just impossible for a player to escape that until he reaches the pros.

Worse still, what if Saros just does what he does now for Nashville, here? There's no guarantees. I would trade Casey for him, but not Casey and a 2024 1st.

Reactions: Oneiro

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think they can find normal second goalie who can help to make a life easier for VV. Or trade VV for one goalie and sign the other on the market. Teams are doing well with average goalies. It could be Ruff/Rogalski issue and no other goalie will help. Players like Casey should be save.
Its not a strong idea to have a duo of broken goalie who is under pressure because his backup is a young near rookie goalie.
VV and Stolarz/Kahkonen/Nedelkovic/DeSmith/Lankinen with Daws/Schmid as a third option will be better and will be enough. Or Vejmelka/Allen/Markstrom instead of Vitek with new backup and Daws/Schmid as a third option.

The situation for this team isn't about "Saros or missing the playoff". They had 19-7-2 with Nico and Jack on the ice this season even with our actual goaltending.
The goal is to win cups, not sneak into the playoffs. They don’t just need a “second goalie to Vanecek” they need a bonefide starter who won’t waste their window.

Nice that Vanecek had a nice performance or two, but the guy cannot be anywhere near the crease in a playoff game if we’re being serious.

Pay the price to get a real goalie.

Reactions: Bone Density

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The goal is to win cups, not sneak into the playoffs. They don’t just need a “second goalie to Vanecek” they need a bonefide starter who won’t waste their window.

Nice that Vanecek had a nice performance or two, but the guy cannot be anywhere near the crease in a playoff game if we’re being serious.

Which one? There is literally not a single real goalie available unless you consider Saros to really be available.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

What goaltender? I'm not trading CASEY and a FIRST for an average goaltender. Vanacek himself was what, .920 last night and .905 over the last run of starts?

This is silly. Saros is too short. Unfortunately the right deal is not available right now, no matter how much we pay. That's also how teams blow their window - by making moves too quickly and draining assets too fast. See: Milbury, Michael.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

avs, caps, pens, black hawks, blues and knights won it with average goalies.Savior Adin Hill was traded for the fourth round pick.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Playoffs are the only time I feel goaltending matters. It's when the margins become so thin that one or two events change an entire series...

With that in mind, thinking just goaltending, with 3 rookies in the lineup is just naive. Those tight margins will expose 3 rookie Dmen in the playoffs. This year is another building year. A learning year for Luke, Nemec and Bahl... whether you care to admit it or not goaltending isn't going to progress these players to level of championship, only time will.

We need to make the playoffs this year and let these guys see it up close and personal and accept the mistakes that they are going to inevitably make. That's part of the process...and goaltending is kind of irrelevant to that process.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Playoffs are the only time I feel goaltending matters. It's when the margins become so thin that one or two events change an entire series...

With that in mind, thinking just goaltending, with 3 rookies in the lineup is just naive. Those tight margins will expose 3 rookie Dmen in the playoffs. This year is another building year. A learning year for Luke, Nemec and Bahl... whether you care to admit it or not goaltending isn't going to progress these players to level of championship, only time will.

We need to make the playoffs this year and let these guys see it up close and personal and accept the mistakes that they are going to inevitably make. That's part of the process...and goaltending is kind of irrelevant to that process.
Now you can accept that young players grow and develop and that their mistakes and present level of play will improve and it's part of the process? Where was this guy when Jack was a disgrace?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Like and Nemec have been good, but Bahl has been terrible and probably the worst regular we’ve had this season.

I don’t see him as a long term guy here. I never really did. I thought maybe after last year I could be wrong about that, but I doubt he’s here after next year when he needs a new contract.

Unless he’s REALLY good next year.

He’s not really worth more than what we’re paying him right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now you can accept that young players grow and develop and that their mistakes and present level of play will improve and it's part of the process? Where was this guy when Jack was a disgrace?
Forwards aren't defenders.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Like and Nemec have been good, but Bahl has been terrible and probably the worst regular we’ve had this season.

I don’t see him as a long term guy here. I never really did. I thought maybe after last year I could be wrong about that, but I doubt he’s here after next year when he needs a new contract.

Unless he’s REALLY good next year.

He’s not really worth more than what we’re paying him right now.
If you don't see the mistakes, the hesitations and the flat out missed assignments Luke and Nemec make on a nightly basis I don't know what to tell you. But they will be magnified in the playoffs

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you don't see the mistakes, the hesitations and the flat out missed assignments Luke and Nemec make on a nightly basis I don't know what to tell you. But they will be magnified in the playoffs

they have been our 2 best DMen this year and it isn't particularly close. I am way more worried about the other guys than those 2.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
There’s no way the real John Marino wasn’t abducted by aliens this past offseason

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i'm excited to see how jack, nico, bratt, and others (maybe vitek too?) react to the pace, now that they know what to expect

Reactions: JimEIV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad