Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar - 2 years @ $4.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe in some alternate universe. But in this one, Tatar has a very positive impact on games and Pavel Zacha doesn’t.
You're putting too much value on those possession numbers and I can guarantee you they are inflated due to usage. Furthermore I'd bet anything that if used regularly here, not the boarderline 3rd line minutes he gets every where else but the Jack 17, 18 minutes he'll be nowhere in the neighborhood of 60%.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You're putting too much value on those possession numbers and I can guarantee you they are inflated due to usage. Furthermore I'd bet anything that if used regularly here, not the boarderline 3rd line minutes he gets every where else but the Jack 17, 18 minutes he'll be nowhere in the neighborhood of 60%.
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

The first link doesn’t have any possession stats at all. These just aren’t comparable players.

This link shows the possession numbers: Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

It’s more ridiculous to say these are comparable players than saying Bratt and Tkachuk are.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Some of you guys really like to shit all over Zacha for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Zacha was literally our best player last year and paced for nearly 60 points over 82 games last year. If Zacha is no more than a bottom 6 player, then we really have an damn awful team.
Well yeah, we were awful last year but god no Zacha was not our best player last year. I’m glad the puck went in, but Jack Hughes was our best player. I would have Sharangovich and Bratt over him too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

The first link doesn’t have any possession stats at all. These just aren’t comparable players.

This link shows the possession numbers: Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

It’s more ridiculous to say these are comparable players than saying Bratt and Tkachuk are.

*Did not look at the stats. Don't need to

Tatar averaged the exact same ATOI as Miles Wood last season 14:59. Wood had 25 points - Tatar had 30

They both had the same exact amount of Even Strength points
Tartar has 8 goals and 14 assist EV
Wood had 14 goals and 8 assist EV

Tartar was more on par with Miles Wood this season than Zacha

Why is this great play driver getting 3rd line minutes everywhere he's played? - Because he's not a great play driver...You wheel him out in offensive situations and his numbers look over the top good when it is usage...Like Butcher who people at one point actually believed was good based his possession numbers.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One day Zacha will get traded or sign somewhere else and we will not know what to do with ourselves.
We'll find someone else...It used to be Zajac...Zajac was "declining" for years on this board.

Maybe people don't like the "Z" names?

Reactions: Guadana

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
who cares who's better, they both move the notch up
not according to my notch chart!
Notch-sensitivity-versus-notch-radius-for-steels-and-aluminium-alloys.png

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
*Did not look at the stats. Don't need to

Tatar averaged the exact same ATOI as Miles Wood last season 14:59. Wood had 25 points - Tatar had 30

They both had the same exact amount of Even Strength points
Tartar has 8 goals and 14 assist EV
Wood had 14 goals and 8 assist EV

Tartar was more on par with Miles Wood this season than Zacha

Why is this great play driver getting 3rd line minutes everywhere he's played? - Because he's not a great play driver...You wheel him out in offensive situations and his numbers look over the top good when it is usage...Like Butcher who people at one point actually believed was good based his possession numbers.
Tatar’s line often got the toughest assignments on the whole team. And almost always got the better of play. Look at his QoC numbers. This was not a sheltered player whatsoever.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
One day Zacha will get traded or sign somewhere else and we will not know what to do with ourselves.

You're kidding, right? People are arguing about Jacob Josefson in the main thread and he hasn't even played in the NHL in 4 years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Tatar is unlikely to get better from his 30 year old season to his 31 year old season. He has been a healthy scratch in the playoffs multiple times in multiple seasons. I'm not putting him down, he's a solid scoring winger. But the people who think he was better than Zacha last year did not watch Canadiens games until the playoffs last year, when Tatar rarely played. They're looking at analytic charts.

yeah I am sure you watched all the Habs regular season games last year

here is a hint- the "charts" that people like you hate are the results of what happened in those games....

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Some of you guys really like to shit all over Zacha for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Zacha was literally our best player last year and paced for nearly 60 points over 82 games last year. If Zacha is no more than a bottom 6 player, then we really have an damn awful team.

He most certainly was not.

and his 82 game pace was 57 points if we're being fair.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As ever with points, it's all about sustainability - Zacha's production is not sustainable at the current level unless he increases his underlying numbers. That said, as a trigger man on a weak power play, he will get a few goals that way, and it will bump his boxcars.

Zacha scored 7 points in 48 minutes of non 5v5 even strength ice time, a ludicrously unsustainable number. So while I think his 5v5 points/60 don't tell the whole story, there's no way he's going to score 8.3 p/60 at 4v4 and 3v3.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tatar’s line often got the toughest assignments on the whole team. And almost always got the better of play. Look at his QoC numbers. This was not a sheltered player whatsoever.
Yup...Big dum-dum coaches EVERYWHERE he's played don't know better than to get him 3rd line minutes. If only Detroit, Vegas and Montreal had Natural Stat Trick they might have used him in a larger role over the last 4 years :skeptic:

Last edited:

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Not a big fan of Tatar and his playing style but the term is 2 years, so I guess I can deal with that.

I just don’t see all the excitement of adding a player that is above average offensively and below average everywhere else.

Reactions: NJ Fan 12

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You're kidding, right? People are arguing about Jacob Josefson in the main thread and he hasn't even played in the NHL in 4 years.
No that is just pure sport for me...Because I still relish in remembering being told Josefson was a "possession monster" in 2015-16 with 54.3 CF% 9.8 relative along with amazing Beau Bennett being the play-driver the following year....It was just a matter of time before they started going in for these guys.

That is where your numbers took you then. And it cracks me up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad