News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Supply and demand. He’s also the most cost effective one out of Saros and Ullmark too.
He has a NMC that he's waived for NJ already. He holds the keys to his future.
OTT Dont see him waiving there, plus they gotta move someone 1st
LA I think he already said no
TOR Does he want to go to the fishbowl (maybe he does, i say he doesn't)
CAR Do they make that move?

Could he get a conditional 25 1st with milestones hit, maybe. But I doubt Fitz does it

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
When the others cost more, I would say so. And technically at this point in time Markstrom has the most term and Conroy willing to eat salary to seal a deal.
I'm assuming the others are Ullmark and Saros right? He's is the oldest of the 3, has the highest cap hit and is by far the worst of the 3.

I know you're trying to pitch retention as a deal breaker here, but there is no indication that Boston or Nashville would be unwilling to retain. Then you're just peddling the worst of the 3 for 3 million retained on the 2nd year.... AKA not enough to make it worth a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Smitty426

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
He has a NMC that he's waived for NJ already. He holds the keys to his future.
OTT Dont see him waiving there, plus they gotta move someone 1st
LA I think he already said no
TOR Does he want to go to the fishbowl (maybe he does, i say he doesn't)
CAR Do they make that move?

Could he get a conditional 25 1st with milestones hit, maybe. But I doubt Fitz does it

The league wide interest is where i think Calgary gets tripped up a little here, though I still think teams have to offer enough to make if worth the Flames while. Not everyone who wants a trade gets traded. Calgary would understandably tell Markstrom they'll try to do right by him while telling him they aren't just going to give him away.

Obviously this is just my own guesswork and not backed by anything, but I don't think Carolina will be in the goalie market. I think they are going to run it back and this year maybe Koch is the primary. I think they'll add a third goalie, but I think it's going to be an NHL / AHL tweener, most likely.

Elliotte said a few weeks ago that he thought Colorado would likely run it back with Georgiev.

Ottawa could certainly be in the mix, but i don't know how they are driving the bus in terms of value. They have basically gotten nothing from 3 straight first round picks and they have to give up a future pick for the Dadonov thing. Then they probably have to sort their money and goalies. Do they buy out Korpisalo? Could be pricey to move him. They simply can't give up pick number 7 in this transaction. Maybe they can move the Boston pick, but thats not exactly making Markstrom unobtainable for the devils without pick 10. I have no idea on whether Markstrom would waive to go here or not, so I won't comment on it, but I do think that Ottawa's involvement here will get overstated.

Toronto is toronto. they are associated with anyone and they don't have the cap space for everyone. They will ultimately have to decide on how they want the team to be built. Do they target a guy like Markstrom to pair with Woll? Or do they build up the skaters and go after the cheaper option. They could certainly be a player in this market, but I'm also not positive they will be.

LA would be the team I want to watch. I think a guy like Kaliyev would hold some value for Calgary and LA is happy to move off him, I'd wager. Their pick is 21, so that's not a deal breaker of being too high. There's probably a negotiable deal here for both parties if there is interest.

Reactions: CraigsList

Bond

May 10, 2012
A new CP insiderrrr is saying the deal is in place and its 10th for Marsktrom+ lol.
Guess he is going to LA

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
When the others cost more, I would say so. And technically at this point in time Markstrom has the most term and Conroy willing to eat salary to seal a deal.

And further proof age isn’t a factor in goaltending. If you’re good you play.
Age is 100% a massive factor in goaltending

Skinner is your man..
I would take 26 year old Stuart Skinner at 2.6 mill over 35 year old markstrom at 6 mill 100/100 times

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I doubt that #10 pick gets traded at all, much less for a goalie.

Maybe Markstrom pulls a protected 25 first and some fluff, which is a pretty good return, but I don't think it's going to be #10.
I think the 10th should get traded if we can get a good LHD or top 6 power forward. I can see the argument that having entry level contracts will come in handy soon but the cap is going up pretty significantly next season. I think Fitz needs to load up. Get the confidence back. Get these guys winning.

I’d much rather next years 1st goes if that’s what Markstrom is going to cost. Just seems like the perfect storm this year with Fitz needing a veteran goalie, Markstrom already waiving for NJ, Calgary needing a fast retool, and Iginla being predicted to go around 10.

Just trying to figure out what Calgary would need to add to make both sides happy because I don’t think many Devils fans will be ok with the 10th being traded in a Markstrom deal.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

According to The Fourth Period, the New Jersey Devils, Washington Capitals, Nashville Predators, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Carolina Hurricanes are all interested in acquiring Mangiapane.

The Devils have been connected to Mangiapane as of late, and it is not surprising that there is still interest there. They could use a player like him in their middle six.

Probably bs but what does NJ add here? Or is that still too much considering Mangiapane’s contract status?

Markstrom
Mangiapane

For

10th oa
???

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Probably bs but what does NJ add here? Or is that still too much considering Mangiapane’s contract status?

Markstrom
Mangiapane

For

10th oa
???
Without retention on either player??

NJD adds a 2nd, calgary adds 9th overall.

Bond

May 10, 2012

Markstrom
Mangiapane

For

10th oa
???
I think Markstrom and Coleman are a more interesting combo for New Jersey.
Flames probably just hope Mangipane bounces back and they get a 2nd at the deadline

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army, Vancouver's website for all-things Canucks, is speculating that the Canucks might consider dangling Demko in a trade.

If so, would the Devils be interested, and what would they give up?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Canucks Army, Vancouver's website for all-things Canucks, is speculating that the Canucks might consider dangling Demko in a trade.

If so, would the Devils be interested, and what would they give up?
10th overall.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Markstrom
Mangiapane

For

10th oa
???
I wouldn't trade 10 for Markstrom and Mangiapane, nevermind add.

Mang is a nearly 6 million dollar cap hit on his own and is an undersized .5 ppg player.

I think the 10th should get traded if we can get a good LHD or top 6 power forward. I can see the argument that having entry level contracts will come in handy soon but the cap is going up pretty significantly next season. I think Fitz needs to load up. Get the confidence back. Get these guys winning.

I’d much rather next years 1st goes if that’s what Markstrom is going to cost. Just seems like the perfect storm this year with Fitz needing a veteran goalie, Markstrom already waiving for NJ, Calgary needing a fast retool, and Iginla being predicted to go around 10.

Just trying to figure out what Calgary would need to add to make both sides happy because I don’t think many Devils fans will be ok with the 10th being traded in a Markstrom deal.
No problem trading the pick, just unlikely to find a good fit, tbh.

I'm not sure who the LHD would be at this point. There are a few forwards I can think of....Batherson, Farabee, Cirelli that would be very interesting, but I'm not sure any of those teams would work with the devils for that type of deal. Hard to say.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I wouldn't trade 10 for Markstrom and Mangiapane, nevermind add.

Mang is a nearly 6 million dollar cap hit on his own and is an undersized .5 ppg player.

No problem trading the pick, just unlikely to find a good fit, tbh.

I'm not sure who the LHD would be at this point. There are a few forwards I can think of....Batherson, Farabee, Cirelli that would be very interesting, but I'm not sure any of those teams would work with the devils for that type of deal. Hard to say.
18 million dollars for 1 year of Mangiapane and 2 years of age 35 and 36 Markstrom is barely more value than what you can find in UFA, let alone paying a top 10 pick.

Reactions: My3Sons

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Flames fans are totally right. A 35 year old Tier-B goalie with 2 years of control is absolutely worth 10th overall. There is a long list of trades that have almost an identical structure. Think about it, you have

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(Citation Needed)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With Bylsma taking over in Seattle, could see Grubauer being available if Driedger backs up Daccord with the Kraken. Vancouver's situation is also worth keeping an eye on if either if the two young goalies are close to being NHL ready.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
With Bylsma taking over in Seattle, could see Grubauer being available if Driedger backs up Daccord with the Kraken. Vancouver's situation is also worth keeping an eye on if either if the two young goalies are close to being NHL ready.

Ew. Grubauer has had three consecutive sub-.900 seasons. Would not touch even if his salary was in line - and it isn’t. 5.9 mil cap the next three seasons? No. If a goalie is going to deliver Allen-caliber results I want him at a salary approximating what the Devils are paying Allen.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Fans are going to fan lol. I think Marsktrom gets a 25 1st but the 10th won't go unless it is Markstrom at 50% and the 28th going back, even then I don't see it.
It was like when other Flames fans were expecting Lindholm to get the 3rd overall and Zadorov to get a 1st. Nothing will happen until the cup has been handed out.
Ditto. Logic and precedent makes this crystal clear. Not saying GM’s are necessarily always logical, but it doesn’t really make sense for jersey to give up that kind of asset.

Hey, I’ll sing conman’s praises if he pulls it off, but I doubt it. As you said, the final returns for our rentals were generally nowhere near some of the more lofty fan expectations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I read recently that the Devils GM is after a skating winger with size/grit/weight. Someone that can be added to the mix of their skilled group. Seems reasonable for me.

I know Anderson had a bad season. Not trying to push it but my pitch would be Anderson at 50% retention ($2.7M for 3 years) and both the Jets and Flames/Panthers 1st. Not good enough? You tell me.

If not Anderson, what would be your target to add in terms of a big boy who skates well and can score? Curious to see the potential market in both UFA and other trades because I do think the Devils are after someone like this and I recall a rumor of them being in on Anderson before.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I read recently that the Devils GM is after a skating winger with size/grit/weight. Someone that can be added to the mix of their skilled group. Seems reasonable for me.

I know Anderson had a bad season. Not trying to push it but my pitch would be Anderson at 50% retention ($2.7M for 3 years) and both the Jets and Flames/Panthers 1st. Not good enough? You tell me.

If not Anderson, what would be your target to add in terms of a big boy who skates well and can score? Curious to see the potential market in both UFA and other trades because I do think the Devils are after someone like this and I recall a rumor of them being in on Anderson before.

To put it bluntly, the Habs would have to pay NJ assets to take Anderson.

Jake Debrusk is a guy I think Fitz will go after this summer. As I am sure tons of other teams will.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Josh Anderson f***ing sucks and has one of the worst contracts of the past decade. There is no scenario on the planet where you dump his contract AND get the best asset in the deal.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad