News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Wouldn’t 3m (50%) be enough?

Also, my guess is the holdup would be NJ trying to avoid trading 10th OA and going with 2025 1st and Holtz or something instead. And maybe wanting the same retention but Conroy likely wanting 10th OA more.
I don't think FItz sees Markstrom worth a 1st (definitely not this years).

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

Also, my guess is the holdup would be NJ trying to avoid trading 10th OA and going with 2025 1st and Holtz or something instead. And maybe wanting the same retention but Conroy likely wanting 10th OA more.
I don’t think 50% retention for two years aline makes it worth the 10th OA.

My hope is Fitz doesn’t use the 10th in a goalie trade unless it’s for a younger goalie with term but there’s a lot of pressure on him to get a new starting goalie. I also know there’s some pressure on Conroy to try to draft Iginla and the Devils have a pick right where he’s predicted to go.

There aren’t very many options for goalies. Markstrom and Ullmark seem to be the only two names realistically being thrown around and I’m almost certain Fitz doesn’t go into the new season without getting a new veteran starter.

It really seems like Markstrom is the target unless Fitz can find a GM to trade a goalie no one is thinking about. The 10th OA should be used in a trade, imo. Devils need to make moves to improve the roster and a top ten pick is a good asset to use to help accomplish that. I just prefer he uses it somewhere else.

Just seems inevitable to me that Markstrom winds up in NJ and Calgary adding to Markstrom to even out the value of the 10th makes the most sense to me. I’d say the Devils 2025 1st should be in a more appropriate position (20-32) value wise but I also thought they’d be picking around there this year.

Doesn’t Calgary have Winnipegs 1st? Maybe if that’s included.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

My hope is Fitz doesn’t use the 10th in a goalie trade unless it’s for a younger goalie with term but there’s a lot of pressure on him to get a new starting goalie. I also know there’s some pressure on Conroy to try to draft Iginla and the Devils have a pick right where he’s predicted to go.

There aren’t very many options for goalies. Markstrom and Ullmark seem to be the only two names realistically being thrown around and I’m almost certain Fitz doesn’t go into the new season without getting a new veteran starter.

It really seems like Markstrom is the target unless Fitz can find a GM to trade a goalie no one is thinking about. The 10th OA should be used in a trade, imo. Devils need to make moves to improve the roster and a top ten pick is a good asset to use to help accomplish that. I just prefer he uses it somewhere else.

Just seems inevitable to me that Markstrom winds up in NJ and Calgary adding to Markstrom to even out the value of the 10th makes the most sense to me. I’d say the Devils 2025 1st should be in a more appropriate position (20-32) value wise but I also thought they’d be picking around there this year.

They have Vancouver’s 1st, but I don’t see how we retain for TWO years and only move up 18 spots. This isn’t that kind of draft where there’s a significant difference in 10 and 28. People can argue with me about that but I don’t see a huge difference. There’s so much depth in this draft.

A goalie who can play 50-60 games, in front of a Devils D who imo is miles ahead of Calgary’s D (Past Weegar and Andersson, who they have to split up), at only the cost of 3m for not only this season but the next? I’d say that’s worth a magic bean, maybe a slight add on Calgary’s end but definitely not a late 1st.

Your best bet if you’re Jersey is calling Nashville about Askarov.

Pony up big for that goalie.

Holtz, 10th OA, and Schmid. Does that get it done? Roll with Allen and Askarov as a 41/41 split?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
When the others cost more, I would say so. And technically at this point in time Markstrom has the most term and Conroy willing to eat salary to seal a deal.

Based on what? There’s really no precedent for a goalie getting that type of return. Once again, the only goalie in “recent” memory is Schneider who was 7 years younger than Markstrom.

Expecting that type of return on Markstrom is going to set you up for disappointment.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Expecting that type of return on Markstrom is going to set you up for disappointment.
Fans are going to fan lol. I think Marsktrom gets a 25 1st but the 10th won't go unless it is Markstrom at 50% and the 28th going back, even then I don't see it.
It was like when other Flames fans were expecting Lindholm to get the 3rd overall and Zadorov to get a 1st. Nothing will happen until the cup has been handed out.

Reactions: super6646

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

I doubt that #10 pick gets traded at all, much less for a goalie.

Maybe Markstrom pulls a protected 25 first and some fluff, which is a pretty good return, but I don't think it's going to be #10.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019

50% retention is not enough at all. There's just 0 chance NJ trades a top 10 pick for Markstrom. The only way you get me to think about it is Markstrom 50% retained, Coleman 50% retained, and your first.

• Haha
Reactions: HighLifeMan

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Didnt Fitzgerald say that he wants a goalie who kind of fits the age group of the core and he wants him to have on the team when they enter their prime? How does Markstrom fit this criteria? Ullmark or Saros makes much more sense.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I doubt that #10 pick gets traded at all, much less for a goalie.

Maybe Markstrom pulls a protected 25 first and some fluff, which is a pretty good return, but I don't think it's going to be #10.
FWIW that’s what I think happens too because it makes more sense for Fitz to grab an ELC player and pay a future 1st that will be 90% Chance higher than 10th OA. I’m just saying a starting goalie for only 3m for multiple years has its value.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
FWIW that’s what I think happens too because it makes more sense for Fitz to grab an ELC player and pay a future 1st that will be 90% Chance higher than 10th OA. I’m just saying a starting goalie for only 3m for multiple years has its value.

It does. 28 + retention on markstrom puts together a viable, data return on paper.

1.25M / yr retained is the equivalent to pick 47 per puckpedia.

1.25m/yr (pick 47) + 28 + markstrom values the goalie at around pick 23. I'd have no problem with Markstrom being valued at that. If Toronto gave up pick 23 for Markstrom this year, I've seen some Leafs fans say they'd be fine with that.

I just don't think Fitz is moving that pick for a goalie and I don't think he'll move that pick to get to that kind of value.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It does. 28 + retention on markstrom puts together a viable, data return on paper.

1.25M / yr retained is the equivalent to pick 47 per puckpedia.

1.25m/yr (pick 47) + 28 + markstrom values the goalie at around pick 23. I'd have no problem with Markstrom being valued at that. If Toronto gave up pick 23 for Markstrom this year, I've seen some Leafs fans say they'd be fine with that.

I just don't think Fitz is moving that pick for a goalie and I don't think he'll move that pick to get to that kind of value.
So… a little over 20% for two years, plus a 2nd round pick, plus a late 1st, PLUS Markstrom = 23? Okay. I think PP is missing something there.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So… a little over 20% for two years, plus a 2nd round pick, plus a late 1st, PLUS Markstrom = 23? Okay. I think PP is missing something there.

No, I think he is saying that Markstrom with 1.25M retention is worth 23rd overall by himself.

So 23 + 28 + 47 for 10th which is near equivalent value on PP.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018

No, the retention is worth pick 47. It's not retention plus a second. Retaining on markstrom at 1.25M would be the equivalent of giving up pick 47.

1.25m / yr retained for 2 years (pick 47) + pick 28 + markstrom (pick 23) = pick 10.

Reactions: CraigsList

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Went right over my head. Thanks.

No, the retention is worth pick 47. It's not retention plus a second. Retaining on markstrom at 1.25M would be the equivalent of giving up pick 47.

1.25m / yr retained for 2 years (pick 47) + pick 28 + markstrom (pick 23) = pick 10.
At that point Calgary is better off keeping more darts. Our scouts are pretty good at finding talent. I think the best kind of deal would be a cond. 1st based on NJ making the playoffs. If they don’t in 2025 then the pick transfers over to 2026. It doesn’t have to be the 10th OA for me personally, it just needs to be a 1st based on the goalie demand.

Reactions: Forge

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Realizing that the #10 straight up for Markstrom is too rich for NJ, even at 50% retention, I’m curious what the flames can add to put this over the top for NJ fans.

Brodeur has called Markstrom a top 5 goalie, so I suspect he’s still one of the top targets for NJ.

Does #10 for Markstrom (50%) and #28 get it done?
Hellebucyck, Vasilevsky, Demko, Shesterkin , Saros , Sorokin, Ottenger , Swayman, Bobrovsky , Ullmark,
are all better than Markstrom so I'd put him just outside the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00