Proposal: Devils - Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Define defence lol. He is good according to advanced stats but with the eye test , when he makes a mistake , it’s a massive glaring mistake that makes you want to throw your remote at the TV.

You won't notice him (in a good way) for 6 games, and then the 7th he'll make the most embarrassing peewee level mistake you've ever seen in your life.

In the big picture he's very effective but the individual bad plays you actually notice will drive you up the wall. His underlying numbers are excellent but the brain farts are obvious and inexplicable, though they don't happen every night.

That would be a hard no then gents, or ladies.
I wouldn't have done the deal with Holloway in it even if Severson had reliable shutdown abilities but was just curious to see if he improved on those brain farts since I watched him more regularly a few years ago.

It's funny though, Ceci had these exact same issues and he's been great this season at a similar stage of development that Severson is at so maybe he can improve defensively but not willing to sacrifice Holloway to risk it.

I also want to add that I feel Ryan McLeod is being undervalued in this thread. The numbers aren't there yet but he has the looks of a player ripe for a breakout. Not a top line guy or anything like that but a solid two way middle 6 guy (center or wing) with blazing speed at minimum.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I really don't understand what need McLeod fills, Boqvist has done a decent job at 3C while Mercer has been playing wing. As for Jesse, I think either Zacha with a smaller add or Severson @ 50% straight across should be closer in value than your original offer.
I think McLeod lays the perfect style of game and has potential to be a very good 3c . Boqvist has been decent at 3c but I feel McLeod is a clear upgrade.

Reactions: seguino

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That would be a hard no then gents.
I wouldn't have done the deal with Holloway in it even if Severson had reliable shutdown abilities but was just curious to see if he improves on those brain farts since I watched him more regularly a few years ago.

It's funny though, Ceci had these exact same issues and he's been great this season at a similar stage of development that Severson is at so maybe he can improve defensively but not willing to sacrifice Holloway to risk it.

I also want to add that I feel Ryan McLeod is being undervalued in this thread. The numbers aren't there yet but he has the looks of a player ripe for a breakout. Not a top line guy or anything like that but a solid two way middle 6 guy with blazing speed at minimum.
Re: McLeod - this is why I am willing to overpay (overpay in my opinion) for McLeod and Jesse. Kosk is just a toss in as he fills a need for the rest of the year as a at least capable goalie.
Jesse and McLeod are the perfect stlye and type of players I feel NJ needs.
Severson hells the Oilers D for sure . I just don’t see a better defence,an available for such a cheap price. He is an experienced RHD and at max retention would be 2 mil for two playoff runs …

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Severson isn’t the type of D we need. I’ll listen to something for Zacha but I’m not moving Puljujarvi for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
IMO this doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

1) Puljujarvi is not a guy we can lose. He's a huge difference maker for us and IMO worth a lot, and generally gets undervalued. He's our best RW by a mile.

2) Adding Severson would be nice, but he's not the style of defenceman we need, and I don't see the point in adding him when we have Bouchard/Ceci/Barrie down the right side. Any deal bringing in a RD needs to send one (see here to mean, Barrie) out the door.

3) Ryan McLeod is just coming into his own and his advanced defensive stats are off the charts good. Once he starts shooting more he's going to be a ~40 point defensively elite C in his prime. He's not a throw in.

4) Koskinen is - by far - a better goalie than Smith is. Smith is the goalie dump that would actually have some value to us, not Koskinen.

I'm not overly hot about paying big assets for either Zacha or Severson. I've seen enough of both guys to know that they're wildly inconsistent and don't exactly excel at the type of game that we need for the playoffs.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Severson as an expiring UFA at 75% retention is most likely going to cost you 1st + 3rd + prospect.

I can’t even begin to imagine the ask with another year.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
IMO this doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

1) Puljujarvi is not a guy we can lose. He's a huge difference maker for us and IMO worth a lot, and generally gets undervalued. He's our best RW by a mile.

2) Adding Severson would be nice, but he's not the style of defenceman we need, and I don't see the point in adding him when we have Bouchard/Ceci/Barrie down the right side. Any deal bringing in a RD needs to send one (see here to mean, Barrie) out the door.

3) Ryan McLeod is just coming into his own and his advanced defensive stats are off the charts good. Once he starts shooting more he's going to be a ~40 point defensively elite C in his prime. He's not a throw in.

4) Koskinen is - by far - a better goalie than Smith is. Smith is the goalie dump that would actually have some value to us, not Koskinen.

I'm not overly hot about paying big assets for either Zacha or Severson. I've seen enough of both guys to know that they're wildly inconsistent and don't exactly excel at the type of game that we need for the playoffs.
By no means was McLeod considered a throw in. Zacha for Jesse is close to even value with Jesse having the edge. Adding Severson , a top 4 RHD for 2 playoffs at 2 million cap hit plus taking on a cap dump is way more than fair value for McLeod which does not indicate me thinking he is a toss-in at all.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
By no means was McLeod considered a throw in. Zacha for Jesse is close to even value with Jesse having the edge. Adding Severson , a top 4 RHD for 2 playoffs at 2 million cap hit plus taking on a cap dump is way more than fair value for McLeod which does not indicate me thinking he is a toss-in at all.

If Pool Party and Zacha are close to equal value, what the hell level of a prospect do you think that Mcleod is? lol You're basically trading Severson s with 50% retention for 1.5 years as a very solid top 4 RHD with a cap dump for Mcleod? Right now Mcleod is kind mirroring Boqvist's progression (or even Mikey's)

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

IMO, Zacha for Jesse isn't close. Jesse's value is closer to Severson's.

I think the Devils are getting poor value, but the adds also don't make sense for us. We need LD and goalie upgrades, you're giving us a 3rd line winger and a RD.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I think the Devils are getting poor value, but the adds also don't make sense for us. We need LD and goalie upgrades, you're giving us a 3rd line winger and a RD.

Can you explain why you think Jesse holds so much more value than Zacha, not that I necessarily disagree but for their careers Zacha has produced at almost .5 points per game, while Jesse is hovering around .4 points per game.
I just can't see why people think they're value is so drastically different, it's not like there is a huge age difference either Zacha is 24 and Jesse is 23

Reactions: HBK27

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Can you explain why you think Jesse holds so much more value than Zacha, not that I necessarily disagree but for their careers Zacha has produced at almost .5 points per game, while Jesse is hovering around .4 points per game.
I just can't see why people think they're value is so drastically different, it's not like there is a huge age difference either Zacha is 24 and Jesse is 23

I think beyond straight forward points per game Puljujarvi provides a lot of positives on the top lines. He is the best RW the Oilers have by a country mile. He crashes the net and battles hard, creating space for his line mates. He hasn't gotten a ton of points but Oiler fans are loath to trade him for these reasons.

His big point days are coming. It seems inevitable to those who watch him play.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think beyond straight forward points per game Puljujarvi provides a lot of positives on the top lines. He is the best RW the Oilers have by a country mile. He crashes the net and battles hard, creating space for his line mates. He hasn't gotten a ton of points but Oiler fans are loath to trade him for these reasons.

His big point days are coming. It seems inevitable to those who watch him play.
Understandable, I was just curious. He seems like he should be producing at a lot higher rate with the McDavid or Drai as his regular line mate

Reactions: TFHockey

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
We could actually use Kosk for the rest of the year. Saves us from rolling out kids to get peppered or a terrible goalie in Gilles where we need to score 6 or more goals to have a chance to win
I'd rather suck and get a top 7 pick at this point, play good games like they have been lately just not good enough with their Gs

Reactions: HBK27

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Ok , pick a LHD . Devils probably have the best LHD prospect pool in the league. Only thing is NHL ready guys are limited. Graves and Seigenthaler have been very solid and don’t want to move them. If one has to go I’d pick Graves to trade . Ty Smith is the first I’d offer off of our current roster.
Deal does t directly provide the Oilers with a goalie but taking on Kosk cap helps with that. Free up cap in order to,habe cap room to get a goalie. That holds value as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ok , pick a LHD . Devils probably have the best LHD prospect pool in the league. Only thing is NHL ready guys are limited. Graves and Seigenthaler have been very solid and don’t want to move them. If one has to go I’d pick Graves to trade . Ty Smith is the first I’d offer off of our current roster.
Deal does t directly provide the Oilers with a goalie but taking on Kosk cap helps with that. Free up cap in order to,habe cap room to get a goalie. That holds value as well.
Graves would be a great add for Oilers if he becomes available. Pass on Zacha.. I value M.McLeod more than Zacha if adding a forward from NJ

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Puljujarvi and Mcleod are two of the most cost effective young assets on the Oilers. Those are win now pieces on cheap contracts.

When the Oilers start making moves, or even go all-in, those aren't the pieces they'll be moving. Look for 1sts and prospects like Bourgault or even Broberg to be moved before the guys the Oilers currently rely on.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Jesse is elite defensively and never dogs it, his effort level is 100% and he makes everyone he plays with better, even if the points haven’t come easy for him. My understanding is that Zacha is the polar opposite. I’d value him closer to McLeod, personally.

Reactions: McBooya42

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Do you realize how valuable an asset such as Damon Severson at 2 million AAV for two playoff runs is?

Severson @50% retained is worth 2 1sts + from a playoff team. (Think Coleman return, but even moreso considering the massive premium RHD go for on the trade market)
You need to get over last years return on players. Well everyone does because values change especially once they see players not resigned or not do what was expected of them. Not close to worth 2 1sts cause if thats the case JP is worth 3 1sts and a b prospect atleast

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
So Edmonton trade theirs only Goalie that win games 1 point out of a playoff spot.

Regardless of how much you value Koskinen or not. They aint traiding him if no goalie goes theirs way.

Smith have the worst stats of all goalie with 10 games +
Skinner haven't been trusted to play against playoff team yet.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Re: McLeod - this is why I am willing to overpay (overpay in my opinion) for McLeod and Jesse. Kosk is just a toss in as he fills a need for the rest of the year as a at least capable goalie.
Jesse and McLeod are the perfect stlye and type of players I feel NJ needs.
Severson hells the Oilers D for sure . I just don’t see a better defence,an available for such a cheap price. He is an experienced RHD and at max retention would be 2 mil for two playoff runs …

The Oilers are too weak on the RW to trade Puljujarvi . Also we need a stud defensive D man not one that has brain farts we already have a few of those guys . McLeod isn't available he will take over as 3rd C from RNH in a year or 2 .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

This is true from a certain point of view . On the other side of things if Edmonton traded Koskinen it drives up the prices of available goalies because every GM knows Edmonton has to add a goalie .

There value in the trade from both side it just doesn't fill any of Edmonton's needs and takes from areas of weakness .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad